• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Horrible news just in .....

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I am sure Loic would have accepted long ago the possibility of dying whilst engaged in the activity he loved. Obviously NLT is extremely dangerous but I am sure Loic knew that. Nevertheless I am sad he has departed from us too soon. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

"What use is a long life if it is not a full life"

I am in shock. This is terrible news. I had the wonderful privilege of attending Loic's 171 metre dive in Villefranche in 2004, and spending some time with Loic and Valerie at the Calypso. My greatest condolences to his family and close friends. Loic was a true gentleman and will always be one of the great legends of free diving. Ironically, his attention to safety was impressive. This is a terrible loss to the free diving world. Physiology of the deep worries me a little, but not nearly as much as the risk of equipment failures on NL dives. Loic rest in peace, my friend. We will miss you.

John Fitz-Clarke
Halifax, Canada

I´ve met Loic on the "Boot" in Duesseldorf a few years ago. He was there for his sponsor, tribord I guess. Nothing spectecular - They just had some posters lying around. Walking by I stopped, because ...hey, the freediving guy on this poster is just sitting there. We went over to get an autograph. Unfortunately we were too shy to ask questions or to get into a little talk. He seemed to be a nice guy without any fuss about himself, though.

The poster is still here. As a matter of fact I have it hanging on the back of the door to my apartment - makes me sad to look at it now.

Holger

Some of my fondest experiences in freediving were with Loic in Nice. My heartfelt thoughts go out to his surviving wife and kids, along with his close circle of friends.

Pierre Frolla gave this quote from his friend Loic in the French media yesterday "the more time you spend at the surface, the less you spend at the bottom." It's his passion for the sport and his great humour that I will miss the most.

Peace and love to Loic's family. I offer my condolences and share in the saddness that Loic has left us.

I am sorry to hear of this tragedy. My deepest sympathy to his family and friends.

I can't even imagine how many things must have gone wrong.
Between the sled, safety divers and everything else.
I know Loic was a HUGE proponent of the counterweight system as a failsafe for even the worst circumstances.
Rest in peace.

Just read that the counterweight system failed. something about a tangle in the line.
I read last year in an interview that Loic was not a big fan of safety divers as he thought endangering more people than just himself was selfish.
His belief in the counterweight system was absolute.
Guess its back to the drawing board.
It's always a shame when it takes a tragedy to find the shortcomings of a safety system.

I am in shock, feeling as I did on October 12, 2002 (Audrey...)

My condolences to his family and friends. He was certainly a great pioneer. I met him several times in Nice & Monaco. He always seemed very meek, just blending in with everyone else.

This is especially difficult for me since I have always been an opponent of the counterballast system... (I personally spent $15K and 6 months trying to build an new style of no-limits system in 2004)... the moment I heard the news my mind was half mixed with sorrow and half mixed with all sorts of thoughts of how things went wrong and what could be done differently.

Aside from the sorrow of his loss, my mind begins to wonder what sort of *dramatic* impact this is going to have on the CIPA team and the future of freediving in the Nice/Monaco area.

My deepest sympathy to his family and friends. It's just terrible ....
Vaclav

My deepest condolences to his family and his many friends. This is truley a great loss.

Reading about the tragedy on the net, one website commented on the fact that Loic's fatal dive was 171m -- the same depth that killed Audrey Mestre. What a sad but remarkable coincidence.

In another sad parallel between the two tragedies, in both cases, the first report came back something like this: 'something happened down there, but we don't know what.' It's more than just a statement-- take a moment to understand what that statement really implies.

It's too sad. I dived with Loic a few times in Nice and was surprised how much of the time he spent safetying, advising and helping others, rather than concentrating on his own training....a real gentleman. This is a catastrophic loss for freediving.

Theo.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT