• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hot Sauce (Mango madness)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Huan

Jul 4, 2004
If you are like me and enjoy a bit of hot sauce with your fish, I have a good recipe here for you.
As with all Recipes , quality of ingredients is all important.

Ingredients
1/2 lb Habaneros the hotter the better.
1 Cup vinegar, whatever kind you like just make sure it's not too strong.
3 Tbsp Pickling spice as below.
1 large Mango (1lb)
Juice of 3 limes and 2 lemons
2 Tsp Cornflour.
1 tsp dried Thyme

Warning!!!!!
Use Gloves when chopping Habaneros I will not be responsible for any injuries incurred while making this sauce.

1/2 lb habaneros, ripe and deseeded, put them into your food processor and puree.
get 1 cup of vinegar I used white boring vinegar cause' thats all I had.
boil 3 tablespoons of pickling spice up with the vinegar
Pickling spice is mustard seed, ginger, dried chillis,coriander seed,black peppe rcorns ,cloves allspice and bay leaves and cassia bark.
you don't boil it for long maybe 3 mins.
Strain the mix out of the vinegar and pour the vinegar and pureed chillis into a pot on the stove.
Start the stove on a low heat and peel and chop a mango into chunks while the chilli mix comes to the boil, add mango chunks and cook until they soften , which won't be long.
add a teaspoon of dried thyme and the juice of some limes and lemons puree the lot with a stick mixer and at this point I added a little bit of cornflour dissolved in water to thicken the whole mix.

Enjoy, carefully

Last edited:
Reactions: fuzz
Those Habeneros WILL burn your fingers! Huan gave me another recipe that is particularly good with chicken and anything else you might use mustard with but want more zing. I will try this recipe next. Looks great.
Mark

If you are some sort of chili infidel and don't believe Huan's warning the only thing that will relieve your subsequent purgatory is chlorine bleach. That's right, bleach. If you get pepper juice on your skin and it starts to burn, quickly wash your hands in whatever the local equivelant of Chlorox (TM) you have handy. Unfortunately, there is no way this can help those who rub their eyes!

Sweet Geeeee-ZUZ!

1/2 pound of Habenero's will generate enough heat to boost one of our Ariane-5 Heavy's into orbit!

For those (as Old Sarge called them) "chili-infidels" who don't know (or those that like to use numbers for comparison....)

There is a scale of "hotness" for peppers called the "Scoville" scale. Chilis are rated in "Scoville Units" and (I think) that this is based on the amount of Capsacium (sp?) that the rated pepper contains.....

The average Jalepeno is rated between 5,000 and 7,000 Scoville Units. The average Habenero has between 490,000 - 500,000 Scoville Units. Habenero's are also called "Scotch Bonnets" in some parts. Here on the European continent, fresh ones are NOT easy to find (at least not in Germany).

I used to make a Chili con Carne with 3 (that is right three) chopped Habenero's in a 6-quart Crock Pot full that would simmer for at least 48 hours. It was hot enough that many couldn't hang with the big dogs.....

Pepper class dismissed for today.... :p

I posted a warning and it's up to people whether they want to make it as hot as I have written or simply tone it down a little.
I didn't find this sauce to be super-hot I think that the mango/vinegar/citrus has a calming effect on it.
Mjacobs made it and enjoyed it(or so he told me)
If anyone wants to make it with Naga Jolokia(THE hottest) peppers feel free, but I for one am happy with this heat level.

Huan said:
I posted a warning and it's up to people whether they want to make it as hot as I have written or simply tone it down a little.
I didn't find this sauce to be super-hot I think that the mango/vinegar/citrus has a calming effect on it.
Mjacobs made it and enjoyed it(or so he told me)
If anyone wants to make it with Naga Jolokia(THE hottest) peppers feel free, but I for one am happy with this heat level.

I haven't tried it .... yet ;) but I intend to. This sounds great! Mangos usually give a quite nice counterpoint to the "blowtorch on the tongue" effect.....

rofl

bdurrett said:
I haven't tried it .... yet ;) but I intend to. This sounds great! Mangos usually give a quite nice counterpoint to the "blowtorch on the tongue" effect.....

rofl

Well, I made it... doctored it a bit since the Mangos we are getting here all look like they have been used as frozen baseballs that every 80-year-old grandma has put the squeeze on (The look really bad! :yack material but they taste OK) so I used 2 Mangos, Chianti Red Wine Vinegar, 1 bunch of hacked Cilantro, 4 fresh tomatoes, and 2 packages of tomato pieces. I did find fresh Habeneros though and Pickling Spice (That was a trick - I didn't know what it was called in German)! It isn't as hot as I expected it to be either, especially after letting it sit outside in the cold (it is cold enough to use my Balcony as a fridge) all night but it still has a long-term burn... The recipe made about 2 LITRES of sauce!

The picture is what I am putting on the Label when I give it to friends... Not many on this side of the puddle have cast iron stomachs.....

Let me put it this way, "Oooo Baby, it hurts SO good!" rofl

Bret

Attachments

• Rocket Fuel.jpg
    Rocket Fuel.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 224
Oldsarge said:
If you are some sort of chili infidel and don't believe Huan's warning the only thing that will relieve your subsequent purgatory is chlorine bleach. That's right, bleach. If you get pepper juice on your skin and it starts to burn, quickly wash your hands in whatever the local equivelant of Chlorox (TM) you have handy. Unfortunately, there is no way this can help those who rub their eyes!

Thanks for the tip! I did get it on me and didn't realize it for a while. I used about a Tablespoon of Clorix (the German version - 5% chlorine bleach solution like Clorox (TM)) and in about an hour, it quit burning. A friend made Aji with other peppers that were not as strong and she had burning hands for a week. After 3 days, when she rubbed her eyes, she still got burned....

It would have worked faster with more bleach. Just open the bottle and slosh it over the affected parts (which I hope are only your hands! Please don't tell me that you make chili sauce naked, I don't want to know!) and rub it around then rinse in cold water. And BTW, glad to have been of assistance.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT