• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How deep will Topi go?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Re: Speed

Originally posted by efattah
.... However, I don't believe that faster is better....

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Eric,
This is so true...I actually feel more winded after a 50m unassisted dive when I try for better times than when I take my time...The 51m unassisted record was 2:14 and I came up much more refreshed than than the time I first hit that time 51min 2:02...after the dive that took 2:02 I would have rated it an 8 on a scale of 10...the 2:14 I rated about a 6 - 6.5 on a scale of 10...it's the same for dynamic too. Slower is better for me...

Hey Dave, any plans to tackle the 60m some time soon? :D

hi

hi

Yesterday I downloaded both Davids 51m dive and Topis 60m dive. Problem was the 60m dive only downloaded to where he is just getting out of vision of the camera on the first part of the descent. It is amazing both divers use the same technique but Topi just does his heeps faster. I have become extremely interested in No fins diving after watching these video clips. Must try next time im at the reef. My no fins dynamics have always been better than my with fins dynamic.

cheers

ps im downloading Topis 48m dive right now

Originally posted by loopy
Hey Dave, any plans to tackle the 60m some time soon? :D

Yup, everything is in place except time away from work...looking like the first part of the summer.

Wish I could make a living from freediving...Actually, no, I take that back...I would end up hating it :(

World record training

Hi Dave,

Glad to hear you're getting back on the, uh, "horse" for the unassisted WR.

I'm hoping that by next spring I'll be a challenger to Topi's and perhaps your new record, but given my finances, I will likely have to settle for a deep Canadian record. Unless of course some multinational decides to sponsor my attempt and agrees that I don't have to wear their logo on my back (I'd much rather be sponsored by a small freediving company), I'll be doing my record here in the dark Pacific. Hey, Eric Fattah, couldn't Fluid Goggles sponsor my WR attempt? 1st class tickets to warm water in Turkey or Jamaica, a week of partying afterwards, lots of good food.... that's the way it is, isn't it, Dave? :D No need to make your living from diving when you can enjoy the ***lifestyle***!!!!!

Anyway, good luck with the training and I someday really hope we can all leave our fins on the beach and go freediving together in the same place.

Saludos,

Pete

Re: World record training

Originally posted by laminar
Hi Dave,

....1st class tickets to warm water in Turkey or Jamaica, a week of partying afterwards, lots of good food.... that's the way it is, isn't it, Dave? :D
Pete

I wouldn't have it any other way! :D

Freediving records are definately expensive...the day I have to pay for a record out of my own pocket is the day I go back to recreational freediving....

And as far as falling off the horse, I never fell off, I was just on the side lines waiting :D

Hey Dave, out of interest, any idea on ball park figures for a WR attempt?

Really kinda depends on how well it's organized and whether you have to fly in your safety divers or not...air tickets are a big chunk, accomodations, meal, and transportation. Figure that up for a 2 to 3 weeks period for 12-13 people then it comes out to be about 11k usd...that's on the cheap side and without any video or still images...if you hire a pro to take photos...wire in another 3k for his ticket and salary for 2 weeks (godda have something to give the sponsors after the record)...then the miscellaneous budget for of 3k for crap like entertainment and drinks (beer) for your crew, after party, shirts, hats...this is if you do it right...

the unassisted record is definately the cheapest to organize cuz it's the shallowest...The two records I did in Jamaica were the cheapest becasue my Mothers dive shop is about 200m away from the dive site...big cost saving. Too bad that lagoon is maxed out at 51m

So doing a record (unassisted) can cost anywhere from 10k-16k...that's not including the logistical support you get from dive shops and hotels...if you don't get those things sponsored you can do the math for 2-3 weeks for 12 people.

I am getting way off track but you get the gist of it...So you can imagine that people who actually pay for records out of their own pocket, man, you godda give it to them...it's expensive...

oh yeah and gear if you don't have it...fluid goggles, wetsuit, nose clip, fins...oh yeah! no fins, my bad :D

take it ezzy everyone...dinner awaits

Start Diggin'

David,

Sounds like the cheapest option would simply be to dig 13m down into the bottom of the lagoon!

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Reactions: Erik
Re: Start Diggin'

Originally posted by efattah
David,

Sounds like the cheapest option would simply be to dig 13m down into the bottom of the lagoon!

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

It's been thought about but no real engineers have looked at it yet? for some reason I think it would be expensive. not only that, the walls of the lagoon are pretty close together...after about 40m it's about 15m in diameter to the bottom...Don't know if it would jeopardize the structural integrity of the walls...don't want it to come crumbling down on me and my safety divers...I think it would be good to find out about that though...another 13m would make it an awesome training spot.

Reactions: Erik
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT