• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How do I train to swim longer distances underwater?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Personaly id say take your time be a tortoise not a cheeta, also dont chase numbers to much! its like a static you pay attention to much on the time then you wont hold as long, try to switch the numbers off have good dive buddy do some confident dives that you know that you can do over and over and you just feel like wow that was like getting out of bed, then add a little and a little and a little, that is the best and safest way dont jump ahead! good dive buddy is key for pushing and make sure your form is perfect and your equlizing is perfect. Exhale dives. Statics for mind streangth and the most important of all flexbilty ! And have fun!!!!! Humans do things better when we enjoy and have fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: LightningGShep
I am not used to the CO2 buildup to get contractions underwater so I am doing underwater training at home to get myself used to it
Do not do this alone!!!!!! Never ever practice in water alone ever ! Dry training only if no buddy

Last edited:
In my opinion walking is a great alternative to dynamics in the pool. If you want to get straight into the CO2 reactions, Wonka tables, half breath holds and short recovery times are the way to go. Depending how deep your breath is you may be trying to exhale or inhale and that is good to know before being under the water where a nose clip is handy. It can take a lot of time to see results and not just thinking in the long run, it may take 30 min of repetitive breath holding for the heart rate to reduce and body to calm down from the constant urge to breath. Some people need a bit of warming up before they can actualize their performance gains from all the previous training.

Reactions: Buzz Numinous
When you do apnea walking, or similar training, continue for at least 20 minutes. It takes time for the dive reflex to really kick in. An example would be to go as far as you can, then breathe for 1 minute, and repeat.

When you do apnea walking, or similar training, continue for at least 20 minutes. It takes time for the dive reflex to really kick in. An example would be to go as far as you can, then breathe for 1 minute, and repeat.
I usually do dry land dynamic O² training

But I just can't extend my underwater breath hold time as I have to get over this mental hurdle but I always make sure I have someone to watch me
90 percent of my training is dry due to differculty getting to water and real life problems when i started i did maybe 2.30 ish a now do 6.30 no cotractions till 5.00 and i coukd go longer but my mental stragth is not there dry training is more about the mind and flexerbility will increase your depth alone. And good we have lost some amamzing elite freedivers sadly through training on there own in pools. Be safe !

90 percent of my training is dry due to differculty getting to water and real life problems when i started i did maybe 2.30 ish a now do 6.30 no cotractions till 5.00 and i coukd go longer but my mental stragth is not there dry training is more about the mind and flexerbility will increase your depth alone. And good we have lost some amamzing elite freedivers sadly through training on there own in pools. Be safe !
I want to be able to swim long distances underwater so I have to get used it. So I will doing a lot more apnea walks to get myself back to 3 mins

Reactions: Buzz Numinous
But how do you transfer your times on land to the water? I can't hold my breath long underwater because I can't get used to the CO² buildup. On land, the build does not feel as bad even though I am still walking

10000 percent agree im part of the movement great team very friendly and very helpfull i would recomend them all day

Now my apnea walk time is 2 mins. Will that get me to be able to swim
What other tables can I do train my self to swim longer

Now my apnea walk time is 2 mins. Will that get me to be able to swim

What other tables can I do train my self to swim longer
Id say do apnea walks x8 starting at 1.30 for first four and then 15 secounds upto 3 minutes you want 2 min rest for first 4 and 3 min rest secound 4 you can do this 1once or twice a week ontop of static tables and physicl resitance excise

Id say do apnea walks x8 starting at 1.30 for first four and then 15 secounds upto 3 minutes you want 2 min rest for first 4 and 3 min rest secound 4 you can do this 1once or twice a week ontop of static tables and physicl resitance excise
When I got to 2 mins, during my max time breath hold attempt, I felt like passing out

Breath in for 5 secs and breath out for 10 secs and do it for 2 mins
No no no your way over hyper ventalating which is way your feeling like your going to pass out, its also why you need to do a profeshinol course !!!! So for every breath hold rest time the first 1.30 rest breath normaly then for the last 30 secounds a long slow inhale 2 maybe 3 times with a passive exhale that is it also the first 4 breath holds no hyper ventilating

Last edited:
No no no you way over hyper ventalating which is way your feeling like your going to pass out its also why you need to do a proffesinol course !!!! So for the first 1.30 rest breath normaly then for the last 30 secounds a long slow inhale and a passive exhale that is it also the first 4 breath holds hyper ventilating
Alright

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT