• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How do you clean and prepare panfish?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Dannyk

West Central Wisconsin
Jul 25, 2009
Do you fillet or scale your panfish?

I have been filleting mine. But have been thinking about scaling them like we did when I was a kid.

When I was a kid my dad always scaled them, dipped them in some batter and fried them up. I remember getting bones stuck in my throat too, but always enjoyed eating them and the challenge of finding all the bones.

Dan

I only shoot fish I can fillet.

I, too, have memories of getting fish bones stuck in my throat as my relatives seemed to keep every dinky fish they caught, and just scaled them for us kids to eat- at least that's how I remember it. ;)

My wife wouldn't let me feed them to our kids (4 and 7 years old) if I didn't fillet all of the bones out.

Jon

Reactions: Dannyk
My wife still warns the children to look for bones in the filleted fish :)

I fillet everything. People (including myself) have come to expect eating fish with NO bones. You definitely can't forget to cut out that thin strip of bones just below the back meat.

The only time I use a scaler is when I throw an oceanfish on the grill.

I remember eating a SCALE from a "scaled" blue gill when I was 12 and it kind of traumatized me. After that I hated fish and use to tell people I was allergic so, They wouldn't try feeding it to me or make me eat it. It wasn't until I started to spearfish, That I found out they can be filleted and taste awesome!

I fillet all my fish, don't like the feeling of hard objects in my food.

UNIRDNA's Video:

Last edited by a moderator:
I only take the skin off...I like when fish is cooked with the bones..It taste different.

My memory of fish with the skin and bones was that it was better than anything I have had of late. Whether it just a memory or reality, I don't know, maybe it was my Dads outdoor cooking or special batter.

When my wife and I were in Jamaica we were served fish with the heads still on. The nationals thought the eyes were the best. I did like the cheek meat. I have tried a lot of strange food. Like beaver tail and muskrat, when I lived in northern Alberta Canada, but I don't remember having the nerve to try the eyeballs. I do remember the Jamaican children going to each of the Americans there and asking if we were going to eat the heads. Chicken foot soup was another specialty we were served in Jamaica.

Last edited:
I tried to skin off a shiphead today but I can't....Crapie and perch is ok but not the shiphead.

I fillet everything too. I'm not a fan of bones either.
I went to Costa Rica 3 weeks ago and went spearing. All the fish I shot I filleted and cooked the same as I do here. Haha, they ALL tasted awesome, but I'd say the Parrot fish tasted the best. Here are some of the different fish I shot and ate:

Attachments

• DSCF2136.jpg
    DSCF2136.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 239
  • DSCF2144.jpg
    DSCF2144.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCF2193.jpg
    DSCF2193.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 205
  • P4210054.jpg
    P4210054.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 203
Reactions: nostres and Dannyk
It's not really a pan fish...Well it depends on the size of your pan. This guy is pretty good. It will inspire you to filet a fish better if nothing else.:martial

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE_ZN1mHKvo]YouTube - How to Filet a Fish (Mahi Mahi for Sushi)[/ame]

I went to Costa Rica 3 weeks ago and went spearing. All the fish I shot I filleted and cooked the same as I do here.

That ocean trigger was the tastiest fish you shot. It just needed to be prepared differently than "Wisconsin style". Parrot fish are like bluegills - white, mild, and flakey. If you ever get another ocean trigger, scale it, then throw the whole fish on the grill (medium heat), flip it after 5 minutes, peal the skin off the top, drizzle garlic butter on it, and give it 5-10 more minutes. You can make sure not to overcook it by having a fork nearby.

....and don't forget to eat the cheek - best part!

Nice photos! I'll bet that chub was the lousiest-tasting in the bunch. :blackeye

I like to cook panfish whole. it does seem to taste better. sometimes whil im fishing the river banks ill move back some coals in the fire and throw in the entire fish and cover with more coals, wait about 7 minutes take it out and the skin peels right off and the fish taste GREAT. I thought the same thing when i seen the trigger fish. i fillet the trigger. A little cooking wine, lots of butter and some garlic. put in the fish and generously squeeze lime. its great! i told my old lady when she learns to clean fish like that guy in the video, THEN ill marry her. THAT didnt go over very well......lol:chatup

Last edited:
Reactions: Whopperhead
I cook my fish in grape-seed oil- has a higher burn point than Canola oil.

I use coconut oil in my oatmeal, or on toast, before I freedive in the winter as I feel that it helps me stay warmer when the lakes are covered in ice. I think there was a whole thread about it on here somewhere.

Jon

blueface... wow, that guy is amazing!! He's filleted a couple fish in his day. Haha!!

unirdna: the trigger fish was really good! Haha, I probably liked the parrot fish better since the fillets I got off it were so massive :) The locals told us to scale them, but I don't know how to do it that way and didn't want to screw it up. One night at a restaurant down there I had a red snapper that was scaled and prepared similar and it was delicious!
Thanks :) The chubs reminded me of chicken since they weren't flakey and were tough (for fish). Texture wise they were very similar to chicken. It was just weird cutting fish meat w/ a knife (when eating).

I fillet 'em all, throw them in a fry pan w/ butter, and salt & pepper each side. Then I add some lemon juice when I eat it if I have it. I keep it basic and easy, but its good.

On the Chubs generously butter, season salt and very small amount of dark vinager on cupped aluminum foil ad smoke chips and close the lid. low heat and let it smoke for about 20 minutes. flavor is great and meat will be moist and tender.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT