• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How do you clean and prepare panfish?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I use corn oil to deep fry because it won't burn at very high temp.

Same with coconut oil, You can even fry french fries on it or cook steak, it won't burn but smell is much nicer plus it's healtier than corn

The smoke point of corn oil-
unrefined- 320*F/160*C
refined- 450*F/232*C

The smoke point of coconut oil-
unrefined- 360*F/177*C
refined- 450*F/232*C

Not much between them really.

Regards,
Dave.

The smoke point of corn oil-
unrefined- 320*F/160*C
refined- 450*F/232*C

The smoke point of coconut oil-
unrefined- 360*F/177*C
refined- 450*F/232*C

Not much between them really.

Regards,
Dave.

Yeah but that stuff is the highest in saturated fat. It's bad enough that I deep fry.:blackeye

Yeah but that stuff is the highest in saturated fat. It's bad enough that I deep fry.:blackeye

Don't worry about it and look at this British breakfast:) What a strong and healthy nation they are!

Don't worry about it and look at this British breakfast:) What a strong and healthy nation they are!

Now you're really making me hungry.

Everything good in moderation :t

I wants seconds on the moderation:blackeye

I have taught my children to eat fish with bones so they learned to not to swallow the bones (except the small minnows and herrings either fried in butter or smoked which you eat the bones too).

The bones always give more taste, and the skin holds the flavour in. its the same thing with birds. they are so much tastier if you pluck out feathers instead of skinning the bird.

Frozen Duck, what you've said ABSOLUTELY holds true for some species. For others, I WANT that flavor removed. :)

Interesting subject "fish-bones"
I cant deal with them myself & I would be extremely disappointed if I cooked a fish for someone & they found a bone.
Its one of those etiquette things too - not many folk like to see others removing chewed up flesh & bone at the dinner table!
However my mother did not have any issues with bones or fish meal table manners - it was obviously excepted as the norm in her time!
I was bought up to except certain fish were cooked with bones & others filleted "bone free" but I have learnt to fillet all our common fish.
Now skin on or skin off is more of a decision for me.

We dont have so many species here in north.Made(lota lota,the only sweetwater fish in cod-family if i remember correctly?) is always skinned,and summertime pikes i fillet an remove bones and skin,both for the taste and because its quicker. And perch is much easier to skin than to scale.

Trout and all its relatives as long as the water is cold enough dont need any flavor removed. But thats only my opinion, its a matter of taste.

I really think children should learn to eat fish with the bones too.They might need that skill someday.

There are soooo many species I have never tasted. Yet another reason to start travelling more...

No matter what fish is good..Skin on or bones off, fish is good if you like it :)

OK guys, I don't know how this thread got by me, but now I have seen it... I grew up in Northern Wisconsin and basically lived off the land. I was raised to scale Bluegill and Sunfish and then filet them. This leaves the skin on and makes the filet boneless.

This can also be done with Northern Pike. I know it sounds disgusting, but instead of scaling the Northern, you scrape the skin with your filet knife and rinse, scrape and rinse, scrape and rinse until the skin is dull and all of the slime has been removed. You then filet the Pike just like any other fish (either one of the two preferred methods for Pike removing the "Y" bones) and then fry just the same as panfish.

My family always scrambles some eggs, dip the dried fish, then into a mixture of flour and bread crumbs (any type of flour and any breadcrumbs, homemade or seasoned) with pepper and seasoned salt and then place into a frying pan of oil or butter (which is obviously another story). One thing that you need to remember when frying fish with skin on is to make sure the pan is hot enough to make the skin crisp. We also always often ate the tails and eggs, and if we were eating walleyes - we ate the cheeks too. Just my two cents, you can have the skin without the bones if you're willing to put in the extra time.

Sounds interesting, Tass. If you can make it to Wazee this year, bring a few of those with you. I'll throw them in with the skinned fillets that I'll bring, and we can all take the pepsi challenge.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT