• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

how do you cook fish on BBQ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Andrew the fish

Oct 17, 2010
Folks please share your ways of using BBQ for cooking fish. Apparently simply throwing fish into the flames doesn't work very well. Fish turns out kind of dry. There must be better ways of cooking it on the grill.

Gut and Scale the fish but keep it whole. Slice a lemon and put some slices in the gut cavity. Season with pepper. On both sides.

Get some baking paper and lay it out with a few slices of lemon and place the fish on them. Put some more slices on top of the fish then wrap the whole thing up in baking paper. Then wrap in foil and put it on the BBQ. Turn it over when you think one side is done (you will need to experiment a few times - so go shoot fish ...)

The lemon slices will help stop it burning and the wrapping also keeps it moist.

I do this occasionally with snapper here in New Zealand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I know I'm going to be using a grill then I leave the scales and skin on but remove the whole fillet from the frame and remove any bones. Season with whatever on the flesh side and put it skin side down on the grill over really hot heat. Put the lid on the grill. It only takes about 5 minutes but you should be able to get a spatula between the now charred skin and the nicely cooked flesh so that you can serve it without the skin. Essentially the skin acts like aluminium foil but retains all of the natural flavour and fat.

Reactions: go-hard
I remove the scales and gut the fish then make slits going down the body. Season the outside and inside, put lemon+herbs in the slits and in the body cavity, coat with oil, and let sit for 30 min. Oil or spray the grill to make sure the fish doesn't fall apart and cook on high heat.

I've only done this with yellowtail snapper but I'm sure it can be done with any fish.

The only time I recall BBQing fish, we had stayed in a Caravan on the Lizard in Cornwall. The owner of the site was a former chef and volunteered to help show us how it was done. It was several years ago, I think we cooked a couple of different fish but the main thing was large chunk steaks (cut across the spine) of 2 very big ballan wrasse. I think we wrapped the seasoned fish in aluminium foil with butter and/or oil in it. Possibly had some lemon slices in there too.

I recall some bushcraft-style cooking tips from a Scout book back in the 1970s suggested wrapping fish in a large cabbage leaf before cooking in the glowing embers of a camp-fire - similar idea to the use of aluminium foil described above, helps prevent/reduced charring of the outside & helps retain moisture in the flesh.

Another tip from the same book was to cook a gutted but unplucked pigeon by wrapping it in wet clay and cooking it in the glowing embers of a fire; the idea there was that the clay prevents charring & retains moisture in the flesh but also sticks to the feathers which can simply be pulled off with the clay - which bakes hard - when done.

I prefer to keep it simple whether on the BBQ or in the oven, clean the fish and descale it depending on the fish, add herbs, lemon and garlic if you want to, or just keep it very simple and put a small amount of butter on the inside and salt on the outside, wrap in foil and away you go. For my taste adding too much flavouring spoils the fish, especially garlic and fish, its a fine line between enhancing the flavour and overpowering it.............. well for me anyway ;)

I've always wondered about wrapping fish in foil for the grill. If drippings can't get to the flame and smoke so as to flavor the fish, why not just use the oven?

I've seen fish-shaped stainless steel holders that clamp over a fish so that you can turn them on a BBQ. They were on sale in Sainsburys at the end of last Summer, also seen them in the local charity store (which suggests to me that they may just clutter up your kitchen cupboards :( ). Similar square & rectangular handled "clamps" designed for burgers and other meat might be more versatile & suitable for fish too. Either one will only fit a limited size of fish though, the outside of the fist will likely char unless protected & they will need to be cleaned afterwards.

I've always wondered about wrapping fish in foil for the grill. If drippings can't get to the flame and smoke so as to flavor the fish, why not just use the oven?

Part of the BBQ thing for me is being outside, probably with the fire pit going and with the flavour thing, I would say that's true with a gas BBQ but with a real BBQ I think that there is a difference, although that could be psychosomatic, which it probably is, the more I think about it....................... tastes good though :D

I've seen fish-shaped stainless steel holders that clamp over a fish so that you can turn them on a BBQ. They were on sale in Sainsburys at the end of last Summer, also seen them in the local charity store (which suggests to me that they may just clutter up your kitchen cupboards :( ). Similar square & rectangular handled "clamps" designed for burgers and other meat might be more versatile & suitable for fish too. Either one will only fit a limited size of fish though, the outside of the fist will likely char unless protected & they will need to be cleaned afterwards.

Another option is a thing like this. They come in various sizes and with various size holes, but they keep fish or small veggies from sticking to the grates or falling through the grates. You have to turn the fish on them but at least it can't get away.
Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 6.03.00 PM.png

Rugbyfan that is similar to what I was trying do described - although I have not seen one with legs before!
Another option is a thing like this. They come in various sizes and with various size holes, but they keep fish or small veggies from sticking to the grates or falling through the grates. You have to turn the fish on them but at least it can't get away.View attachment 41704
I have something like that for my BBQ! Mine is like a black, enameled, upside-down square pyramid (or square wok!) with lots of holes in the bottom & sides but I haven't seen it for years - must have a look around for that :D I also have flat square plate of similar constructed with a groove down one side (presumably to lock it into the BBQ rungs and/or as a drain for fat & juices) which I used quite a lot - prevents burger's etc. falling between the rungs of the BBQ - could use that for fish too (or a regular ol' baking tray).

Last edited:
^ That's what I use. Works a treat. Although after reading this thread I seriously need to put some effort in to flavouring.

image.jpeg

Reactions: Mr. X
Nice picture woohoo - that's what its all about :) Roll on summer...

Reactions: Woohoo
So,
Here is the classic grilling technique from the Southern US, Gulf of Mexico;

Put a cast iron pan on the grill with nothing in it. Heat the pan very hot.
Meanwhile, melt some butter in a bowl large enough to dip the fillets in.
When the pan is very hot, dip the fillets in the butter, sprinkle cayenne pepper and salt on the fillets, and put in the pan for about 1 minute per side (if the fillets are around 1/2 inch thick). Works well with all fish, but I like it best with the Mackerel species or Amberjack.

Folks please share your ways of using BBQ for cooking fish. Apparently simply throwing fish into the flames doesn't work very well. Fish turns out kind of dry. There must be better ways of cooking it on the grill.
u want the simpelist. Bud if you want to cook fish on an open flame or extremely hot grill you need to protect the flesh from extreme heat. This can be achieved with a pan or aluminium foil. If the fish is whole, foil is the go and reduce heat to allow steam to cook through with browning on the surface. If you have fillete and boned just place the flesh on foil with oil and garlic to reduce heat and allow even cooking. Fish is a fragile flesh and over cooking is not what you want. The thicker the flesh the slower you want to kook it. 1 inch thick will take 3 min a side but if its going black your heat is to high.

I often do this with salmon, but also white fish as well, on a Webber BBQ / kettle.
I slice the fillets, a bit like sashimi. Then I marinate it a while with what ever is at hand, often olive oil, salt and pepper herbs what ever.
Then I just put the fish on a piece of ceder. Then when my veges or meat is just about done I put the slab of wood on the grill. throw a handfull of
smoked wood chips on the coals, put the lid on. And bam, its cooked in no time with a bit of a smoky flavour. It is simple and tasty.
I use ceder simply as I have lots of it, other wood would be fine, but dont use pine.

Reactions: Andrew the fish
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT