Tuesday, May 21, 2019
  • Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 40,000+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 496,000+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,300+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

how do you cook fish on BBQ?

Oldsarge

Deeper Blue Budget Bwana
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jan 13, 2004
On the banks of the Willamette
In any case and whichever method you use, the answer is 'quickly'. Fish are fully cooked at a much lower temperature than either birds or mammals so fergawdsake don't overcook them.

Reactions: SubSub

Oldsarge

Deeper Blue Budget Bwana
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jan 13, 2004
On the banks of the Willamette
One thing I learned tonight is that cooking a commercial tilapia fillet on a ribbed grill on the stove top is a substandard idea. That's a fish that needs to be sautéed in clarified butter, preferably with a good breading including herbs-of-your-preference and served with fresh lime or lemon. Some fish take well to grilling. Tilapia will only do that whole--and maybe not even then. Back to salmon!

Reactions: Mr. X

prospector

Supporter
Supporter
Apr 25, 2012
Georgia strait
This works well when you are beach camping in Baja . Filet the snapper or grouper rub both sides of filet with olive oil and place in a fish grill that clamps down so you can turn it over. Start an acacia fire or mesquite and create a good bed of coals , get some yams roasting then cook the filets over the coals quickly as soon as the flesh is no longer transparent it’s done. Over cooking is something you really don’t want to do to fresh fish. Season with salt and pepper, butter for the yams, fabulous simple meal the hardwood coals impart a subtle flavour into the fish.

OP
OP
Andrew the fish

Andrew the fish

Oct 17, 2010
Burnaby BC Canada
I often do this with salmon, but also white fish as well, on a Webber BBQ / kettle.
I slice the fillets, a bit like sashimi. Then I marinate it a while with what ever is at hand, often olive oil, salt and pepper herbs what ever.
Then I just put the fish on a piece of ceder. Then when my veges or meat is just about done I put the slab of wood on the grill. throw a handfull of
smoked wood chips on the coals, put the lid on. And bam, its cooked in no time with a bit of a smoky flavour. It is simple and tasty.
I use ceder simply as I have lots of it, other wood would be fine, but dont use pine.
I cooked idiots, whole fishes, two per plank, this way and it turned out great. My Webber barbecue runs on gas, so I had to adjust. Bought wood chips and stainless holder for chips. Chips were from old bourbon aok barrels, interesting flavour but I will try something different next time.