• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How do you make dive buddies?

• Thread starterNatural Selection
  • Start date
Natural Selection

Natural Selection

Sep 23, 2015
Hi all,

My local spearfishing forum shut down, and my dive buddy roster is growing stagnant and weak.

What are some ways you have expanded your dive buddy network?

Thanks!

Bill McIntyre

Bill McIntyre

San Clemente, CA
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jan 27, 2005
Having a boat helps. :)

Reactions: Mr. X
Bill McIntyre

Bill McIntyre

San Clemente, CA
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jan 27, 2005
Yes I have a boat. Since 1968 I've never been without a boat. But at 83 diving is getting harder, and I'm wondering how much longer I should keep at it. All the kelp beds along the coast where I did most of my diving have been gone for two years and those 50 mile runs to the islands make for long days.

Attachments

• bill's boat copy.jpg
    bill's boat copy.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 15
Natural Selection

Natural Selection

Sep 23, 2015
Yes I have a boat. Since 1968 I've never been without a boat. But at 83 diving is getting harder, and I'm wondering how much longer I should keep at it. All the kelp beds along the coast where I did most of my diving have been gone for two years and those 50 mile runs to the islands make for long days.
Bill your a legend. And as for me, I'll just win the lottery, becoming a San Francisco boat owner and finally find some reliable dive buddies!

Bill McIntyre

Bill McIntyre

San Clemente, CA
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jan 27, 2005
My boat would make a great San Francisco boat. It has a heated cabin and a hot fresh water shower in the cockpit.

Mr. X

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
I hesitate to suggest it as it is controversial to some but for Spearfishing I dive alone.

Initially by default, I didn't know any other spearos (it was less popular back then I think), but later through choice. But that may be something about me, I like (many but not all) other people but in moderation ;). I enjoy being alone too, to think or not.

Yes, a well-trained and/or "with it" buddy might save your life. But they also might spear you, spook your fish or stop you diving, for example by their absence. I usually dive with various combinations of family on-shore. Only one has ever speared with me. Another sometimes swims or kayaks nearby for short periods.

A year or two ago a tourist spearo (German I think) tried.to hook-up with me I think, mid-dive, after I had approached rocks near shore ( but far from beach). I was lining up on a large grey mullet and he spooked me and the fish at the critical moment :(. Fortunately it turned out to be a long, fishy day :)

So, I have mixed feelings about it ;)
"Your mileage may vary" as American friends sometimes say :D

Bill's boat sounds like a nicer option though ;)

Last edited:
Natural Selection

Natural Selection

Sep 23, 2015
Thanks for the insight Mr. X.

For me, having a dive buddy is less about actively saving my life (let's face it, not likely.) Because even with buddies, I dont practice one-up one-down. But In the event I perish at sea, I want to be recovered in reasonable condition.

Having a friend fishing via kayak, while I dive, is a great idea. It opens my "dive buddy network" to my non-diver friends. I'll have to try that one!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2022 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Spearfishing and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT