• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How do you make dive buddies?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Natural Selection

Sep 23, 2015
Hi all,

My local spearfishing forum shut down, and my dive buddy roster is growing stagnant and weak.

What are some ways you have expanded your dive buddy network?

Thanks!

Yes I have a boat. Since 1968 I've never been without a boat. But at 83 diving is getting harder, and I'm wondering how much longer I should keep at it. All the kelp beds along the coast where I did most of my diving have been gone for two years and those 50 mile runs to the islands make for long days.

Attachments

• bill's boat copy.jpg
    bill's boat copy.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 140
Yes I have a boat. Since 1968 I've never been without a boat. But at 83 diving is getting harder, and I'm wondering how much longer I should keep at it. All the kelp beds along the coast where I did most of my diving have been gone for two years and those 50 mile runs to the islands make for long days.
Bill your a legend. And as for me, I'll just win the lottery, becoming a San Francisco boat owner and finally find some reliable dive buddies!

Reactions: Mr. X
My boat would make a great San Francisco boat. It has a heated cabin and a hot fresh water shower in the cockpit.

Reactions: Mr. X
I hesitate to suggest it as it is controversial to some but for Spearfishing I dive alone.

Initially by default, I didn't know any other spearos (it was less popular back then I think), but later through choice. But that may be something about me, I like (many but not all) other people but in moderation ;). I enjoy being alone too, to think or not.

Yes, a well-trained and/or "with it" buddy might save your life. But they also might spear you, spook your fish or stop you diving, for example by their absence. I usually dive with various combinations of family on-shore. Only one has ever speared with me. Another sometimes swims or kayaks nearby for short periods.

A year or two ago a tourist spearo (German I think) tried.to hook-up with me I think, mid-dive, after I had approached rocks near shore ( but far from beach). I was lining up on a large grey mullet and he spooked me and the fish at the critical moment :(. Fortunately it turned out to be a long, fishy day :)

So, I have mixed feelings about it ;)
"Your mileage may vary" as American friends sometimes say :D

Bill's boat sounds like a nicer option though ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight Mr. X.

For me, having a dive buddy is less about actively saving my life (let's face it, not likely.) Because even with buddies, I dont practice one-up one-down. But In the event I perish at sea, I want to be recovered in reasonable condition.

Having a friend fishing via kayak, while I dive, is a great idea. It opens my "dive buddy network" to my non-diver friends. I'll have to try that one!

Depends where you are, here in the uk there arent many spearos to start, even less who want to travel for pelagics! So i go alone and hope the comlany can get me with a group. Its alot safer with atleast 2 in the water when theres floatlines, sharks and other boats around. Id start in the bars closest to harbour!

Hi all,

My local spearfishing forum shut down, and my dive buddy roster is growing stagnant and weak.

What are some ways you have expanded your dive buddy network?

Thanks!
I've met some of my partners through Facebook. Not a social media guy, but I joined just to find the local spearfishing network and ask. I've asked twice now and I've received quite a bit of people interested. Granted I've had to weed through them to get what I want.
I hesitate to suggest it as it is controversial to some but for Spearfishing I dive alone.

Initially by default, I didn't know any other spearos (it was less popular back then I think), but later through choice. But that may be something about me, I like (many but not all) other people but in moderation ;). I enjoy being alone too, to think or not.

Yes, a well-trained and/or "with it" buddy might save your life. But they also might spear you, spook your fish or stop you diving, for example by their absence. I usually dive with various combinations of family on-shore. Only one has ever speared with me. Another sometimes swims or kayaks nearby for short periods.

A year or two ago a tourist spearo (German I think) tried.to hook-up with me I think, mid-dive, after I had approached rocks near shore ( but far from beach). I was lining up on a large grey mullet and he spooked me and the fish at the critical moment :(. Fortunately it turned out to be a long, fishy day :)

So, I have mixed feelings about it ;)
"Your mileage may vary" as American friends sometimes say :D

Bill's boat sounds like a nicer option though ;)
I generally feel the same about diving alone.
I found that over the years, it's been extremely difficult to find people or just someone that you can work well with when diving. For a lot of people that WERE into spearing, it was like "join the club man", as they all seemed to go through the same and then end up diving alone or giving up. Most giving up spearing.

The past couple years I just got so frustrated with being held back during my dives and being taken advantage of. So I started to dive alone and just be wary of not pushing it anywhere near where I normally would with a partner.

Then during one of the later dives this year, I blacked out for the first time. Fortunately I was with a good partner and he brought me back up and woke me up. I was pretty disappointed in myself at first, but it was a good lesson in knowing it could happen and that I was pushing it too hard. I've been a lot better about reading my body since then, but it hasn't changed my mind on diving alone.

Back to the original topic, having a boat is definitely enticing for someone to reach out. Just make sure to hold them accountable for their fair share of things. I normally start out diving with new potential partners from shore, then migrate up to my boat.

Reactions: Andrew the fish
I am with MrX. It has got to the point, where I have muster all avalable drops of patience to deal with someone’s else slowing me down.

Reactions: DiveHacker
I am with MrX. It has got to the point, where I have muster all avalable drops of patience to deal with someone’s else slowing me down.
I'm on the other side of that. I turned 84 yesterday. Having a boat lets me find divers who have patience with me slowing them down.

Reactions: Andrew the fish
I always say that the hardest part of diving has nothing to do with diving itself, it's coordinating with the people. (That and taking off an open cell suit in the cold).

My fiance is going to start going with me on our kayaks. She will kayak around and get exercise, while I'll spear dinner. I'm pretty excited to try this new "dive" buddy system. It means I can go to the places I want to go, when I want, without dealing with other spearo egos.

I'm on the other side of that. I turned 84 yesterday. Having a boat lets me find divers who have patience with me slowing them down.
Bill, I meant something different. I would be happy if that was you slowing me down.

Day before yesterday my step son finally gave birth to his decision and vocalized that he wants to go spearfishing with me. As we arrived, it turned out he forgot his snorkel. I insisted, that he goes back and gets snorkel before we do anything else. Half hour later we are at the edge of the water, and I am taking deep breaths to keep my voice toned down, while waiting for his gearing up taking another 15 minutes. We are in tropics, no wetsuit, just getting to water and putting mask and fins on takes this long. Then I babysit and pussyfoot, until he takes one shot, misses, then struggles with reload, then fights his leaky mask etc. At this point we are still 10 minute swim from our target area. Then he swims to shore and quits. And this is when I get a chance to go and do my thing, free from babysitting and waiting.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT