• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How does apnea walk translate into diving time

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

VCO

Jan 15, 2018
Hi everyone
I'm pretty new to this community and freediving.
I'm planning to attend my course in april and trying to self train myself till April.

I have trained on some CO2 tables and alternate Co2 tables with apnea walks
I generally do 8 repetitions with 2 m recovery time. In general first walk ends ~ 1:15 and after 3-4 I can push it to 1:40 range
When I really push I feel like legs are burning and nothing left which gets me to 1:55
I generally get contractions ~ 1:00 ,1:10 while walking (during statics I dont feel any contractions before 2m )
and I reach 1:45 s with 7-8 contractions .

But when I jump into the pool everything changes it takes me 40 s to pass 25m pool with no fins and my best is around 1:00 - 1:10
So if I work on my diving and make the movements efficient how much time shall I get compared to 1:45 apnea walking ?

Thanks

The best advice that you could be given is not to train for your first course. The intro course is designed for beginners who have never trained and it would be better that you arrive with a relatively clean slate. If you have bad habits in your current training it will be harder for you to break them and learn better techniques.

But.. to answer your question;

You should be able to dive for a longer time (thanks to dive response) than you can apnea walk for, given that you are; just as relaxed under water as you are on land, the effort you make walking is similar to what you will make while finning, you are not expecting to feel the same sensations during a dive as you would during an apnea walk.

Using a stationary bike is a better tool for dry apnea as the resistance is more similar to what you will feel with finning. walking is more similar to 0.5 cruising speed under water.

Reactions: SubSub
The one exception to the above is if you are uncomfortable underwater. If so, your times underwater will always be much worse than on the surface.

Like Nathan said, waiting for the course is the best option

Those numbers, you're better than me in apnea walk, but your performance in DNF is less.
I think your DNF technic isn't good, you're burning more O2 than you need
for me, the i make the same time and distance in apnea walk and DNF. (1min 1min 10sec, 42m), i should be able to reach 50m, but i don't have good neck weights (only using sandbags that weight 0.7kg in water), so either i'm exhaling 50% of air to stay neutraly buoyant or i'm going too fast to stay underwater on full lungs and burning O2 even faster.

You need to work that out. Try different speeds, and keep notes on what works best. Faster and the holds will be shorter, slower and they will be longer.

Guys i was wondering how fast you need to walks doing an apnea walk

I find the most similar "apnea-walking" to dynamic simulation is if you walk up & down stairs, or a similarly steep hill. Even at really fast walking speeds there very little muscular resistance on a flat walk.

Again, the best is stationary bike, the second best is stairs, and then somewhere quite far behind those is flat-walking. This is in terms of simulation of Dynamic apnea. I have found that my max flat-walk times are very similar to my max "recreational dive" times. For example cruising or pulling myself around a shallow wreck at 1/4 to 1/2 speed with a few static-stops to look around.

Comfortable 2:00 flat-walks = comfortable 2:00 "look-around" dives.
Uncomfortable stair-walks = (plus or minus a bit) max dynamic dive time

Stationary bike is the best because you can set the resistance so that a max-bike = a max-dive (for time). Then you know you are using the same amount of O2, always use the exact same resistance and monitor improvements.

An alternative is to do the apnea holds with empty lungs. It will speed up the process, even while walking.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT