• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How messed up can a country be??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

panzerkrafft

Aug 12, 2009
This is a story that happend to me a couple of days ago!

Visited a diveshop in denmark, bought the airbalete+2xtra spears and
a riffe euro 90 + 1 xtra spear ,

Had lifting equipment (which i then sacrificed due to not leave any suspect clues of what could possiby done with them) to the car so i could mount the spearguns really proffessional under the car in the cardan shaft tunnel ,,really invisible if you dont lift the car on a 4 pillar lift.
Then i had really maximal unfortune,,,

Of all atleast 100 cars of the ferry the custom officers picked 2 car randomly.
I was one of the of course,,,my bad luck continued...the narcotic dogs went all crazy about my car! They did explain later that it was because my car was contaminated with dog hairs from my own dogs,

And of course cause they thought they were on to some big drugsmuggler they did turn the car inside out and also the fuckers had a 4 pillar lift

Of course they found my brand new guns...

So all in all they confiscated my new wonderful gear include extra spears
i got stuck in a cell for 5 hours and on top of that a fee of aproximatly 1600$

thats life in sweden

I dont think that i can describe in words how much i hate my country.
if it was'nt for my family, kids in school mainly i would'nt be here for a minute longer

That's terrible bad luck. You must be feeling gutted but pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try making a polespear.
When you have money again try buying a cheap speargun and mailing it labelled as fishing tackle or maybe strip it into bits and mail them separately.
If you ever visit Ireland I'll loan you a speargun and weightbelt while you're here. Good luck to you.

I don't understand why you had to hide the spearguns in the secret tub under the car.
Is it illegal to own spearguns in Sweden?

In that case oh sure, it's a really messed up country. But believe me: you're still lucky to live in Sweden. Though I love my own country, you can bet your life that Italy is still much more messed up.

A few years ago, while on holiday, I had been doing some spearing (or better said, been trying to do so), in a region of deep southern Italy. On the first day I went to the Coast Guard asking if there was any prohibition for spearfishing, where it was legal and where not.
The Officials gave a very pissed off look and told me: "It's forbidden in many places around here, but you may dive and spear wherever you want. Just remember: if you see any of our Coast Guard boats passing by, put your head under the water and hide there, until our boat has passed away". rofl.
Here's my first question to you: how messed up a country can be?

And so I went off to dive under a steep cliff of coastline boulders, managed to shoot a fish on the very first duckdive, and surfaced. You won't believe it, but soon a Coast Guard boat approached me: "Hey, you!, don't you know that in the summer you must go spearfishing at least 500 meters off the coast?". And I replied: "No, I didn't know. Why is it so?". because the Port Authorities has stated that your spearguns might wound the children swimming near the shore". (!!!???) I said: "There are no children here, and nobody swimming. the cliff is too steep. And 500 meters off the coast is full of motorboats, and large ships too: they will kill me". Reply "Go off 500 meters, or f@çk off". Ok, I'll go, and I started swmming to open sea. :blackeye
Question: how messed up a country?

It didn't take me much to realize that it was such a bad idea to swim off 500 meters, just to be a sure kill from boat and ship overrun. :blackeye Believe me: it was full of very large boats, all cruising very, very fast. It was going to be a sure kill.
So I turned back and swam closer to the coastline, where I started spearing again, and managed to catch a couple more fish. That's when the Coast Guard boat passed me by again.
"Hey, you, didn't we tell you to swim off 500 meters?". And I "yes sir, that's what i did. Now I'm just swimming back on my way home". rofl
Now how messed up can be a a country? More than this, much more.
Read now: :mad:

In the same region where I had this amazing adventure, a few days ago a sunken ship full of radioactive waist has been finally detected, :vangry

From the confession of a Mafia affiliated, who sunk the ship on purpose as a cheap way to dump the radioactive waist (in the sea!!!), our Police authorities have been knowing of the presence of the ship (and of its deadly load) for five years. But the local Police and Prosecutors lacked the equipment to properly pinpoint and inspect the wreckage. :vangry

Only five years after, the central authorities have finally authorized the underwater inspections, and provided the necessary equipment. The authorities have been aware for years that a load of radioactive shite was spreading death all around, but did nothing. Nothing. Nothing except taking care that "children swimming could be wounded by spearguns (whose shooting range is notoriuosluy about 500 meters! :head ).
Now ask the question again: how messed up a country can be?

Reactions: Davis and Marwan
"This is life in Sweden"

Pal I understand that it's really f***ed up when you buy yourself a litle present and you are just ansious to try your new guns but belive me I would give my ass just to be there in fact I'm trying to do everything that I can to go there,in Portugal the cops probably would had robed you, u would go to jail by your protest and your kids safety would be compromised, no money to travel and worst thing of all there is no got damm women here :waterwork (I'm considering women the female person without mustache,less than 180lb and not a couch potato but I must confess that man are almost the same:blackeye)

Good news is I live near natural reserve wich is just 100 km from northern Spain where in summer it is a great spearfishing spot GALICIA if it wasn't for the oil boat disaster this would be at same level as azores, in August all the imigrants come back yes portugese are wort than chinese we imigrate everywhere but in winter this is even more depressive than Sweden you only see cars barely see people although this is not so cold as Swe, forgot to mention this summer we had an entire week with 30 ºc and water at 20 ºc:t

My advise to you mate... I think you need a break from Swe grab your kids and wife cacth a flight to southern Spain or mediterrean islands (check the metereology) ryanair is on sales you live cheap here (during winter) even if lived in bahamas a break is always necessary tell your boss that is an investment on your productivity

Still for the cops that can not see the diference between a person with zeist for life,fish and sea and between a drug dealer:rcard

Can't say I have much sympathy for people deliberately breaking the law smuggling stuff (or people). You presumably knew the risks as you hid the spearguns in a devious manner -- perhaps if you had just stuck them in a bag in your car they would have give you "the benefit of the doubt". Do you have a criminal record now too? I can sympathise with the loss of a couple of rather good spearguns. We've heard before of Sweden having some rather odd restrictions -- I guess you need to vote for a change of government if you don't like the laws. No good voting the same folk in and expecting things to change. It does seem rather a waste of time and resources - but I guess it gives the border guards additional powers and reasons to stop & search.

I travelled to Spain once to climb and we couldn't believe how few controls were in place -- we walked straight off the plane, through the small building and straight out onto the street. However, 2 days later, we met a "white rastafarian" climber whining about how he had been held, searched and questioned for quite some time. He seemed oblivious to how dodgy he looked. The only way he could have looked more druggy would have been if he'd put a big sign round his neck proclaiming he was carrying while smoking a big spliff. Presumably he wasn't carrying though, as they let him in.

Spaghetti, sounds like the first CG you spoke with doesn't think much of the restrictions either! Heard about the radio-active cargo and ship being sunk. Pretty awful isn't it. Sounds like a lot of people, including the government turned a blind eye to it. I think western democracies need to become a lot more transparent and accountable. The current British government is pretty low & sneaky, burying information & failing to act. Seen some positive signs with the new Scottish Parliament, for example, they have published all MSP expense claims and receipts on-line from the beginning. A good start.

Last edited:
i think bias laws towards people who spearfish affect every country im sorry for ur loss of guns and being jailed kinda risky though smuggling them.we have the strangest laws in canada you can catch certain species with a hook and line and take 5 or 6 yet shoot one and its a 250,000 doller fine loss of anything you used to get to the water car,boat,guns,gear and jail time up to a year explain that to me.

It is easy to blame someone for breaking the law when you don't have to worry about some silly law in your own country. In my country alcohol is not allowed, yet still a lot of people break the law because they think that law is stupid. I am sure if you met some of those people breaking that law you would not think they were criminals, otherwise half the country would be criminal.

I just came from the Maldives where before I went I had asked my resort if spearfishing was allowed and they told me "yes of course all types of fishing is allowed". Of course in the airport they refused entry of the "GUN" as they considered it equivalent to a firearm since it was a "gun". Not only that, I found out that in the luggage my gorgeous new free dive fins were broken even though I had 12 fragile stickers on them. Still I managed to keep a positive attitude and figured that they are protecting their fish in order to keep their islands pristine and untouched by over fishing and anyway they were going to give my guns back on return trip. However I was shocked when I went on a fishing trip by the resort, that they were directly targeting reef fish. Unlike tuna and other pelagic fish that can move thousands of miles (which I would have targeted while spearfishing), reef fish stay where they are. Also they were not releasing any of the fish including obviously inedible colorful and beautiful fish that had almost no meat and would be better suited for an aquarium. Some were so small that they would fit in the palm of your hand. I had to fight with them to allow me to release the fish that I caught. Somehow destroying the reef habitat with hook and line was OK but hunting for only prized large fish with a spear gun was not.

In the end I think that spearfishing is simply misunderstood my the majority of the people regardless of country. The use of the word "gun" has dramatically hurt the understanding of spear guns as they are then directly linked to firearms. I think if spear guns were called fishing slings or something of that nature things would be very different.

the old 70's james bond image of a speargun battle underwater could have contributed too...so you see Mr X its all your fault mate :)

Reactions: spaghetti
For 300 km of coastline on the N. coast of Greece (close to the city of Thessaloniki) spearfishing will be banned, as from 1/1/2010-completely, no other form of recreational fishing...Tell me about laws: we should all try to explain to people and influence those with power, for the benefit of sf worldwide...otherwise any restriction will affect first of all our hobby...
PS Sorry to hear about the confiscation and all the trouble pal...

For 300 km of coastline on the N. coast of Greece (close to the city of Thessaloniki) spearfishing will be banned, as from 1/1/2010-completely, no other form of recreational fishing...Tell me about laws: we should all try to explain to people and influence those with power, for the benefit of sf worldwide...otherwise any restriction will affect first of all our hobby...
PS Sorry to hear about the confiscation and all the trouble pal...

In Brazil we have huge areas being restricted, I would be OK with that if the restriction was across the board but, they are only restricting to spearfishing, line fishing is still allow.

Reactions: Mr. X
they say europe tends to be more "progressive" than the US. i sure hope we dont progress into this kind of over regulated police state, you guys are describing. that would suck! although it seems like creating a secret compartment for spearguns is kindof asking for trouble. why not MAKE some spearguns? i bet you could order the trigger mechanisms and wood easy. the only hard part would be the spears. you could put your refined smuggling skills to work and hide them. in the florida keys ,(where i live) they are enacting a ban on all grouper fishing for 4 months a year. we are very unhappy, since a ban on commercial fishing would have solved the problem but after hearing your stories i dont feel so oppressed. if spearfishing is your thing you should move to key west. we have it made here. i live here specifically for that reason. i would never live in a place where i cant dive year round,(without freezing) you guys should all move away from those lame places. go somewhere wher you can live your dreams. you only live once.( i'm pretty sure anyway) i got room on my couch for one of you poor souls.

I don't think that will ever happen in U.S. we have the NRA here (I am opose they way they are so political now) but do thing you should have to right to own some toys.
Some years ago the brazilian goverment try to outlay completly fire arms, they fail but they left some very tough regs. Hopefully no one knows about this law in Sweden or they will think is a great idea. Strange logic, some fishemen can net thousands of fish but we can't spear a few. Some people think spear fishing is the cause all evil in the world. many years ago I've talk to some scuba divers, I told them that I spear grouper, they were shock,"their reply it is like shotting a dog", that is how ignorant the general public is.

Are all speargun illegal or just airguns, would be Ok to bring back an Cayman band gun for example. I remember talking to Angelo from Teak-sea, he told me, he spear fish in Sweden (I think).

Thanks sunfish and jtk west for your hospitality,will remember that if visit your countries!

The situation is now that im working on a wooden gun. The most difficult task is to get the trigger. Think i will order from ebansub.it he has a really nice one that is silenced and a smooth linerelease !
I'm right now in the middle of a discussion with the engineers at the police ballisticcenter wether this trigger is legal to import or not, think its leaning towards legal!

Spearguns that is legal in sweden must be max. 50cm from front tip of muzzle to the trigger component that hooks in the groove in the spear! And the gun is only allowed to use one single rubber and not other kind of firing devise such as air,springs.etc, the law does not saying anything of the thickness of the rubber and also you could make a roller speargun as you would still consider it to be a single rubber! But with that short lenght of gun you would not bother making one!

and worst of all you are only allowed to shoot homemade wooden fishes!!!!!!!

...Or you can buy some fishes at the local market and let your pal drag them after a boat around you so you can shoot them and then you can go home cooking them for dinner (the little more realistic way to go)rofl

Last edited:
[

Spearguns that is legal in sweden must be max. 50cm from front tip of muzzle to the trigger component that hooks in the groove in the spear! And the gun is only allowed to use one single rubber and not other kind of firing devise such as air,springs.etc, the law does not saying anything of the thickness of the rubber and also you could make a roller speargun as you would still consider it to be a single rubber! But with that short lenght of gun you would not bother making one!

and worst of all you are only allowed to shoot homemade wooden fishes!!!!!!!

...Or you can buy some fishes at the local market and let your pal drag them after a boat around you so you can shoot them and then you can go home cooking them for dinner (the little more realistic way to go)rofl[/quote]

:confused: is this our future? some lunatic breathholders shooting at pieces of wood? :head

All of you guys should move to Mexico!
No spearfishing restrictions, Warm cristal clear waters all year round, and some of the biggest fish in the world!!!

It is heaven!

Reactions: Andrew the fish
All of you guys should move to Mexico!
No spearfishing restrictions, Warm cristal clear waters all year round, and some of the biggest fish in the world!!!

It is heaven!

I have been to Cancun but never had a chance to spearfish. I have always dreamed of doing a trip down the Mexican coast and just fishing and spearfishing and enjoying some of the most amazing ocean waters. Recently there has been a lot of bad publicity with drug lord wars, and kidnappings. I have a feeling this is all exaggerated a little by the press ... are things safe there, and which areas do you recommend?

Yeah, sorry there are actually some rules, No air guns, and no spearfishing in Scuba.

What you see in the news is a bunch of crap! The only way you should worry is if you were a drug trafficker, there is some viloence going on in Mexico righ now that is true!, but deffienetly not aimed torwards the general population or turist, is a war between drug cartels.

I would Highly recommend Going to La Paz, in the sea of Cortez my favorite place in the world!

By the way if anyone interested in comming to La Paz, i have alot of pics and videos of that place, plus i can build a pretty good package for Deeperblue members.

Gonzalo

Yeah, sorry there are actually some rules, No air guns, and no spearfishing in Scuba.

What you see in the news is a bunch of crap! The only way you should worry is if you were a drug trafficker, there is some viloence going on in Mexico righ now that is true!, but deffienetly not aimed torwards the general population or turist, is a war between drug cartels.

I would Highly recommend Going to La Paz, in the sea of Cortez my favorite place in the world!

By the way if anyone interested in comming to La Paz, i have alot of pics and videos of that place, plus i can build a pretty good package for Deeperblue members.

Gonzalo

It is good enough for me ! I never hunted in La Paz, but I love the city, I went scuba diving there. Too bad I don't have a job down there.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT