• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How often to practice o2,co2 tables and progress

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dom12

Mar 17, 2011
Hey been doing o2 and co2 tables for almost two weeks now, i only see abit of improvement with the co2 tables, i can feel and see that i am getting better at dealing with contractions and less o2.
As for the o2 tables i dont see much change at all, i have been stuck at the same mark for a while now.
I do them once a day, usualy one day a co2 and another o2, am i meant to do both together, one after the other, or one in the morning and one at night, also everyday??
I also run every other day in the week, isit not good to do tables after a physical work out?

Dom.:)

I don't do tables and i'm no expert but my if you are a beginner my advice would be the following:

1. Forget about O2 tables for now. Just do CO2 tables if you want to do tables

2. Do them 2-3 times a week and make sure to leave a day for recovery between days you do tables

3. Get plenty of diving time (with a competent buddy!) under your belt if you can. Better and more fun than tables ;-)

4. Don't forget that rest is really important so don't be tempted to do too many tables etc. Blood/body needs time to recover and adapt
Posted via Mobile Device

Try not running for a week, and like Simos said do CO2 tables, and maybe an O2 table on the last day.

Instead of doing a CO2 table, you can do also combine it with dynamic, doing something like 16x 25m or 16x 50m. It's fun and very educational to do. The trick is to improve and maintain an efficient swimming technique, AND remain relaxed through the high CO2.

Furthermore in general I advice beginners to focus on having fun, learning and technique, not on numbers.

Last edited:
Great advice by Kars as always - just dive and have fun. If I lived in Barbados like you I would not do a single table. Ever. I'd just dive :)))))

...not that i ever do tables now! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks guys.

I spearfish a lot so I am diving in the water a few times a week with out fail!
But I have not found that diving a lot has made it better each time I go, I find that my aspetto and my moving underwater down or across is always the same. That's why I started the tables, I do like the idea of doing the lengths in the pool under supervision, but do you think I will realy see improvement from that.
And also why do only co2 tables for a while 1st and not do any running?

Thx for the great information guys
Posted via Mobile Device

Are you trying to improve your breathhold or your swimming technique? The lengths that Kars will help you do both whereas tables obviously only help with breathold. In addition, while tables help I know people that cannot translate their dry performances to equivalent ones in the water, so I'd choose training in the water any day over dry. Plus it's a lot more fun! ;-)

CO2 tables are more useful, especially for beginners since they train CO2 tolerance. If you are not advanced, chances are that you are mostly feeling the urge to breath when diving as a result of high Co2 and not because of low o2... As your co2 tolerance gets better then that's where the o2 tables start becoming more useful as they will train your tolerance to low o2....
Posted via Mobile Device

Ps I am not an expert so maybe someone more knowledgable can confirm the above..

Also just a suggestion: assuming that you have a competent buddy, why don't you go diving a few times and leave the speargun behind. Then you can practice your technique etc which will help you improve.

Also regarding the question in running (and generally aerobic exercise): in simple terms (just because my understanding stops there lol), when you go running and get fitter you are essentially training your body to be able to burn more oxygen and work better aerobically, which is not obviously what you want when you freedive. If you are going to run, it'll help your Freediving more if you do sprints... (sprinting is a lot more like feeediving)
Posted via Mobile Device

From the spearfishing story I suspect you've programmed your mind and body to react and behave in a particular way in relation to dive time.

I suggest you try to try a very different style and approach, to de-program yourmind and habits. See freediving as something new, fresh and unknown.

To start out with a fresh mindset, change most things. Leave you gun at home, have a buoy, weighted line, buddy, and dive in open water, so you don't see the floor tempting your to go into 'spearfishing mode' again ;) 'Breathup' laying on your back, just like static prep, inhale slowly to 90% and do free immersion, trying to go slow and as relaxed as possible. The only thing you try to do is to relax and go slow with your eyes closed most of the time. Do not worry about streamlining, just enjoy the relaxation and falling. Take your mouthfil early - less stressful. Forgo controlling everything, surrender to the blue. You're aiming for the dive with most pleasant feelings. When you experience some discomfort and it's difficult to retain your relaxation, slowly turn, have a little slow hang, and then a free-immersion ascend, where you look down and turn it into a rhythmic fluid dance, again with eyes partially closed to enjoy the sensations within.

Take your time, freediving is about quality, not quantity.

You can search on this forum "Finding the Flow in Freediving" or Frog Flow, and see my video where I give a nice list of pointers that help you find the mental state of Flow.
Frog Flow is the name I gave to a pool exercise that is basically a combination of static and flying on the bottom of the pool.

Make sure you have an able buddy.
Enjoy.

Thanks alot guys! and Kars, i think you have inspired me to freediver alot more often with out the gun!
Sounds realy relaxing and enjoyable!

cheers for the great information guys!

Reactions: Kars
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT