• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How To Get Close To The Fish!!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
foxfish said:
That is a big tank Huw, I assume this is at your work place?

rofl. Hell yeah! The first year was at home, then i took them down to the work place for another 2years... the boss didnt mind the loan of free fish. Then i released them :D

i didnt went away HUW
i saw that today !
so congrads for the mullet:friday
anyway say hellow to Heather from us

i can say a few words on mullets
hunting them :
there are some kinds of them that like to live inside reef or caves
if you are hunting in a reef zone that is full of tunnells U may find some
inside i must say i am avoiding shuting in caves beacuse of the high risk
of damage your shaft
but a good waiting near by the will show shortly after 1 min around

the other kind is going all the way cross the reef & back so the best way to
get some of them is to look for a good place that you can put yourself in
& only your head & speargun are out side aiming 4 the target, it can be a
cave of tunnel or a big rock that you can hide yourself; after 40 sec aprox
you will be able to see them from the distance they will arive near to U
only if you will be quiet as possible just wait $ the bigger to come
DO NOT !! try to aim or move the gun only a bit to accurate the shut
most shuts i did last month were from 1-2 m distance i needed somthing like
1-1.40 min dive time to be able to make those shuts
another thing important is the gun ! i use OMER XXV gold 90 it is very easy to
move & aim with & its low profile dont make any noise when i moving it in the
water
the name of the game is to be quiet !! when you are up from your ASPETO
( waiting down) please relocate your self in near by area 6-8 m away
2 days
november_9-10_2006.JPG

i put some pics from the last month with mollets & more
the big mullet have 1.86 kilo
hagar-buri2.JPG

this was great day also
full.JPG

as long we enjoy hunting & eating them

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
RE - reasons for fish proximity. With the Trout it is a bit of curiosity - but they tend to stay on the edge of visibility - which is 40-70 feet during their season. For photos I am trying to get within a couple of meters - ideally 1. If I were spearing I would be going for the smaller ones - also the males when they are spawning. These are the most difficult. The camera problem is very consistent across species.

The trout tend to shift position after a few dives - then I have to find them again. At my current dive spot they are swimming near two large structures about 15-20 meters apart - so I go back and forth between them.

This is an unusually bold and very large Lake Trout

Big Trout

For Bass here there is no need to do anything to attract them! They come swimming over as soon as they see me and like to get very close - though some of the larger ones are more wary.

basscluster.jpg

They are beautiful but I have too many pictures of them - they love to pose for the camera. Rock bass are even friendlier and hundreds of them sometimes circle me in the spring.

Carp have very definite seasonal moods. Right now they are moving slowly and grazing like buffalo on the bottom. They are curious but also very jumpy. If you get down without them seeing you first, and hold still, they will swim over very close - but also very slowly - it's a long wait in clear water! During the spring the Carp move quickly and aggressively. They cruise at middle depth usually in groups of 3-5 or even more. They will sort of charge right at you, then turn suddenly. When I'm on the surface they sometimes scare the crap out of me.

Visit with a carp

Both carp and freshwater drum seem attracted by low noises - like fins banging together. Drum are beautiful fish - often found in fairly large schools.

drumclear3.jpg

I have a video on my site of an encounter with a drum during which I very quietly cleared my ears (frenzel) and the drum reacted quite strongly to the sound of my soft palate clicking.

Drum Encounter

You can see where it spooks and its interesting behavior after that. Keep in mind the camera makes things appear further away than they are.

If the videos seem to hang it can help to click the play button twice.

Reactions: mundial
amazing VIDS
what a VIZ!!
this is one interesting the drum was a bit angry i think :head
this is the way fish act with out a gun
i can recall advice of good friend of mine
duve where you want to spear without a gun
after dive only with gun with no shaft
do it twice each
then dive with you full loaded speargun
tell me the differance , he was very correct
same with Dapiran movie MEDI JEDI AL AQUATO
the ORATA was interasted by the video cam
thank mate for the info :friday

Hi guys!
Overhere in Gibraltar, you can spear big ones without shooting!!, just slam your gun into them..

I do not want to sound arrogant, god knows how much I have to learn, but I think, like Spaghetti says "It partly depends on the location and on the "culture" of local mullets population."

Overhere, in Gib or Spain (straights of Gibraltar), you do not shoot at mullets, I even thought, that the meat is not very good, am I mistaken?

There is one spot, and I am not kidding you, that during an espetto, you can not see a thing, a zillion mullets around you...and in between them maybe 1 bass!

I was thinking about starting a THREAD regarding mullets...know what gonna do that!
greets!!

Ah... mullet :)
95% of my targets :) They are the most common fish in Black Sea too. Especially the golden-grey mullet. There are days I can easily spear 20 good ones. However I only shoot 7-8 just to have for dinner with my big family :)
I also noticed that sometimes they respond very well to stiring up sand between the fingers.
Here is a picture with my biggest one so far. It was around 2-3 kilos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huw and spaghetti
Nice fish dobs!!!

They are definitely one of my favorite fish to hunt. Any one else out there got pictures of their best mullet (no one can post pictures of hair styles :D)?? Green diver... i dont suppose you started that mullet thread off did you??

Huw

Here in Northern Michigan there are, regrettably, quite a few Mullets - none of which are underwater.

Fondueset said:
Here in Northern Michigan there are, regrettably, quite a few Mullets - none of which are underwater.

:D:D:D i love it!!!

I have found out, very late in my spearfishing life, fishe can sense when you arein hunting mode. They can sense something in us, the movemens the anxious heart beat, the stare. I have found out very good advise from my new fishing buddies in that regard and have improoved my fishing recently. I am an anxious person when in hunting mode and I know fish reed me like an open book. When I am with a speargun they swim away when they see me. When I am empty handed I see many more fish !! I have learn to relax and to not attack directly and inmediately.

Attachments

• DSCF5088 (Small).JPG
    DSCF5088 (Small).JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 229
its not the gun they recognize its the focus of your attention try to guess where the fish is going and line up there ,as soon as you turn into the fish or swim directly towards it hes gone i try not to even look directly at it

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT