• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How to improve at freediving (rec and comp)!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

laminar

Aug 13, 2001
This thread is inspired by the negatives and contractions thread: http://forums.deeperblue.net/freediving-training-techniques/74925-negatives-contractions.html. The main question is, I think, do you need to train in such a way that negative pressure dives and contractions are your constant companions?

If I had to summarize my training philosophy for both recreational and competitive freediving, it would be as follows:

-Dive as much as possible
-Spend lots of time in water (preferably open water)
-Do high intensity exercise at least 2 times a week
-Practice efficient technique in dedicated sessions
-Look for long term improvements and avoid the 2-3 week cramming sessions that are so common
-Protect your lungs

Recreational / Spearo

I define recreational freediving as making dives that don’t involve contractions 90% of the time. Now and then, say 10% of the time, things won’t go exactly to plan and I might experience a few, but there’s a huge margin of error that way. I dive FRC and so contractions are a sign that I’ve been sloppy. I’ve made very long dives without any contractions when I do it right. If you dive on an inhale or packing, you are more likely to experience contractions on the way up (NB: contractions are a highly individual thing). Ideally, though, you are limiting them to only a couple before you are at the surface. Otherwise, I would argue, your diving style is relatively inefficient. If you are consciously pushing your dives into contractions, you are probably looking to combine performance with your recreational dives. I know some people who do this and I do it on occasion. However, it requires many competitive strategies and good self-knowledge and I consider it advanced.

Since by my definition recreational dives are not stressful - ie. they don’t involve high CO2 or hypoxia or great muscular exertion – it’s hard to get significantly better at recreational diving without cross training, simply because the training stress isn’t there.

However, where recreational diving is essential is in teaching yourself to be efficient. Many competitive freedivers that I’ve met ignore this aspect of their sport and stick to the depth line as the only forum for improving. You can perfect several essential skills while diving for fun. The advantage you have is being able to make many more dives in a session, to shallower depths, thus allowing you to focus on one skill at a time for many more reps. Of course, that’s also possible on a line, but I rarely see that kind of training.

That’s why I think diving as much as possible is a priority because if you dive mindfully and often, you will improve in ways that no amount of cross-training can do for you.

But for many of us, the seasons, where we live, and work schedules conspire against us being in the water three days a week. So if you can only get in the water once a week, for example, it’s going to be nearly impossible to make big improvements in your diving, whether you are line diving or diving for fun.

So you need to do some sort of cross-training: ideally, cross-training that helps you acquire more stored energy in your muscles, buffer C02 better, operate more efficiently on a cellular level and most importantly, recover quickly and completely between serial dives.

To this end, you can benefit a great deal from wet or dry cross-training. Cardio is vital for a healthy chest/lungs/cardiovascular system. I like long duration cardio that doesn’t feel like a workout – long distance swimming, walking, hiking, that sort of thing. Then, and only when you have a healthy cardio base, you can add high intensity exercise at least twice a week. You want the kind of exercise that brings your heart rate up to 85% of max or higher for many intervals. Then you need a lot of rest between bouts of this exercise (2 days minimum). Ideally, the exercise should involve the muscles you use for diving, but not necessarily in the exact same movements. Running is a great example if your knees can handle it. Rowing. Skiing. Cross-country skiing. I don't recommend swimming for anaerobic exercise unless you are at a high level and can go hard without hurting your shoulders. (I am a swim coach and I think few fitness swimmers have the skill to swim that intensely).

We tend to think that CO2 contractions from a breath hold are somehow more valuable for training than the lung "burn" from intensive exercise. In the majority of cases, I think that's false. For improving diving, especially recreationally, the lung burn also results from the body trying to get rid of waste products from anaerobic muscle contractions. So you get more bang for your buck with the exercise induced breathing reflex. Especially, since freediving is a sport in which you move your legs and/or arms. And it is only in competitive freediving that you are expected to withstand contractions for minutes on end, just to be clear.

Dave Mullins is right. To get better you need to do something that stresses your body. Better to do something that produces lots of CO2 and lactate repeatedly (intervals) so your body improves its energy stores, blood buffers, and lactate clearing abilities. I think that this kind of exercise is probably the most useful to someone who wants to improve at recreational freediving and it doesn’t take that much time per week to see improvements over several months or a year.

The other way to measure improvement is depth. Going deeper is more complicated. I would argue that doing a 2'00" dive to 20m without contractions or a strong urge to breathe (no hyperventilating) is much more desirable than a 30m dive for 1'20". Time at depth is much more precious to me than depth alone.

That being said, going deep is fun, interesting and addictive. Training for it is much more complicated, though. The best way to improve is by diving a lot and making consistent dives to the same depths over and over again long enough for you to learn how to be efficient, skilled with equalizing and to fully relax.

Instead of negatives, I would suggest diving on FRC or a gentle inhale and honestly restrict your depth to reflect your level. Your “floor” should reflect the number of diving days you have per week and the opportunities for gradually increasing chest flexibility, equalizing skill, relaxation, and easy dives.

Yes, it's humbling. In 2004, I went from being a 60-65m competitive diver with a certainty of going deeper and a 35-40m recreational diver to diving to 10-15m on FRC for 4 months for 1'15" per dive.

At first, my lungs weren't comfortable going any deeper than 15m and I felt like I was running out of air after barely a minute. :duh I waited and patiently kept diving for weeks and months until I learned how to be efficient and found that my chest had adapted to the new diving conditions. I was tired of playing Russian Roulette on each dive with my lungs and was convinced that packing, inhaling and negatives were contributing to the problems I was having.

Now I can out dive myself on inhale dives and my lungs are very comfortable on deeper FRC dives (30m+). (recreational diving)

I used to do negatives all the time in the early days. My biggest gripe with negative pressures as an exercise to prepare you for depth is that they are not specific. I dive FRC all the time and my body has "learned' to make adjustments for that. However, when used with inhale diving, negatives are area shock to the system.

In my humble opinion, the best way to improve your lung flexibility and ability to equalize at depth needs to combine the following points:
-dive often at FRC or gentle inhale volume
-do lots of heavy breathing (cardio, high intensity exercise (see above) and/or yoga breathing and sex) ;)
-do chest stretching only as a part of an exercise/yoga routine, not while "cold"
-avoid packing altogether
-extend your depth by a few metres only when your ability to equalize, mentally relax, stay down for a significant time, and repeat over and over again all catch up to you. That means you are ready to go deeper.

continued below...

Last edited:
So, what would a typical week look like given this overall philosophy? Here are a few scenarios based on my own preferences. Substitute your own preferred activities when applicable:

WINTER (1 dive per week: October - April)
-2-3 x 90 min open water swim (2-4km): swum at variable speed and effort
-5-7 x 60 min morning yoga session
-1 x rec FRC dive session (60-90 min): no stress diving: depths 5-25m, dive times 1'00" - 2'15" (depths and times should be comfortable, not forced)
-2 x 60 min Concept II rowing machine: 20 min warm-up, then 5 x 1:00 at 90% maxHR on 4 min rest between sprints, 15 min cool down.

SUMMER (May - September)
-3-4 x 90 min open water swim (3-5 km)
-5-7 x 60 min morning yoga session
-2-4 x rec FRC dive session (60-120 min): start with 1-3 no suit dives then continue with 3mm/5mm diving and repeat 2-3 times per session, longer rests between dives for better quality dives; depths 5-40m, time 1'30-2"30".
-2 x high intensity exercise (hiking, rowing machine, pool sprinting, cycling, etc)

Here's some more info about these training components:

-Open water swimming: I love being in the water and long distance swimming activates my dive response despite the aerobic exercise, it uses freediving specific muscles (I don't use fins much anymore while diving), and gets me outside. And I hate chlorine. Often, I’ll take a break and make some no fins dives to check the area I’m swimming in for future diving days. It’s amazing what I’ve found doing this. Swimming and diving is also a very practical skill.

-Yoga: Keeps my torso strong and supple without injury and instills better breathing habits. I am also a firm believer in the importance of isometric exercise whether through yoga or other approaches. I find yoga a more interesting activity with additional benefits. I tend to take things slowly and not worry about achieving acrobatic poses. I try to do the simple poses as best I can without much effort and breathe properly.

-Rowing machine: This improves my ability to withstand high CO2. I don't do it much when I'm just diving for fun because I am pretty happy with my depth/time parameters. But I've used it in the past and found it very effective. Fast running would be another great substitute.

What is absent from this approach:
-pool workouts: I get my technique work done during my swims and diving sessions
-negative pressure dives
-dry apnea exercise
-static breath holds

I've whittled everything down because I found that many of the pool training or apnea exercise wasn't fun and that has put me off diving many times in the past.

I recognize that many of you have limited access to open water, especially in the winter. My advice to you is if you want to be in the pool, focus primarily on technique. Learn some new skills like no fins dynamic and spend more time building a good cardio base and working on anaerobic exercise. And if you do dive in the winter or your “off season” limit your depth to a safe range until you can dive more often and achieve depth with a gradual increase in that range with the methods discussed above.

So many times I hear of people stuck indoors all winter who either get a vacation somewhere warm or wait until the start of summer and fully expect themselves to be where they left off the previous year. That’s a recipe for a lung injury and it’s also a bad habit to get into. Rushing things makes you anxious, whether you are aware of it or not.

Skill work is vital and there are many ways to work on that. The essential principle is to imprint good technique with short repeats and fresh muscles. I did repeats of 25m no-fins with more than 60-90 seconds of rest between each rep focusing merely on relaxing as much as possible and trying to find the balance between propulsion and effort. I spent two months simply doing that. No apnea exercise or other cross training. No max effort dynamics. Two months later I set a personal best and, even better, that in-depth skill work has stayed with me years later.

Perhaps I haven’t really convinced you that you don’t need negative pressure dives and CO2 tables. Let me attempt a more convincing case here:

1. Negative Pressure dives: I stopped doing these in 2003 after some bad squeezes. In late 2003 (November, I think - Eric Fattah would remember exactly when it was), we both started doing FRC dives on a line to experiment. After two weeks of repeated dives to 20-35m FRC with super slow descents (Eric went to 40m) and no negatives, I tried a negative pressure dive to see if anything was different. Previously, my best depth was 7-8m with great discomfort (after more than 3 years of doing negative pressure dives. After several weeks on intense FRC, I made 15m. FRC with slow descents really seemed to give my body the chance to adjust to the increasing depth in a way that negative pressure dives don’t allow for.

The main difference is that negative pressue dives are usually one-off things that most do several reps of during a pool session or before a diving session, whereas FRC is a diving mode. You benefit not only from the less stressful effects of having lungs at FRC volume (vs full exhale) but you experience it over and over again.

Yes, a full negative pressure dive will jump start your dive response. But I know Eric Fattah occasionally does one or two after a series of FRC dives – ie. only when his body is actually ready for them on a physiological basis. FRC, in my opinion, is far more reliable for initiating a sufficient dive response.

The other proof to me was after diving for six months on FRC in 2005 I could equalize without the mouth fill far deeper that ever possible before, without straining (40m FRC).

2. CO2 tables. I think that emphasis on withstanding C02 contractions from inhale statics put us on the wrong path for getting better at diving. I think we should be looking to minimize C02 production (but not by over ventilating!) with efficient diving technique and proper ballast. That’s the real secret of getting better. High intensity and regular cardio exercise then helps your body become more efficient with oxygen and store more energy for movement with reduced blood flow (vasoconstriction).

In the time when I was learning to dive FRC recreationally, following my competitive “burn-out” at the time of CAFA Nationals in 2004, I stopped doing static apnea of all kinds. And yet, gradually my dives got better and better, eventually exceeding the level of my previous inhale dives.

Yes, CO2 tables probably help inhale divers overcome the C02 contractions that they experience because of the effort needed to overcome buoyant lungs and reach their depth. However, I think this is the wrong approach. Why use energy when you don’t need to? That being said, it’s up to you to decide what lung volume you are comfortable with.

Okay, this is a bit of a ramble. Sorry for the length.

And to try and summarize this with one overarching principle, I really believe that training to improve your recreational freediving should be varied, fun and engrossing. It's another reason why I am reluctant to use any of the unpleasant or logistically complex training methods I've tried in the past. Remember, this is recreational freediving, so it's all about enjoyment, long term improvements and insights, inner peace, hakuna matada, and all that. I think there's something especially liberating and zen about committing to diving no deeper than say 20m for a month or more and exploring all that is possible within those 20m.

Let’s discuss this and I’ll work on the competitive training approach next, which will be a lot more complicated and of course partly theoretical, since I haven’t competed in several years and as you can tell from the paragraph above, it's something I'm not really personally interested in at the moment, even though I enjoy thinking about how to solve the problem of training properly. ;)

Pete

Last edited:
With winter full on - water now down to 40f and air in the 20s - this is exactly what I've been thinking about.
To date I mostly have been doing Taiji (old yang style - contains 'fa-jing' - explosive movements that are a kind of muscular galvanization of the whole body) and Bagua - more vigorous - done in a tight circle with lots of twists and back bends - outdoors usually morning and evening and diving several times a week.

I need to do more and may start doing some asana work again. Personally I have to be careful about flexibility - having overemphasized that in the past. But arm balances and sequences with differing breathing patterns can be quite aerobic or anerobic depending on how you work the breath. I may also learn the Bagua linear form - which is one of the longest forms in martial arts and quite vigorous.

My swimming is exclusively in open water and with a monofin. I love cruising along the bottom applying the principals of Taiji to the fin work. Taiji awakens very subtle movements in the spine and the objective is allways to let extraneous effort fall away. In monofinning I try to apply this and what in Taiji is called 'sung' - what I think of as moving without moving. So the body moves as a single unit - but also in sensory harmony with the environment such that there is a 'softening' of the ostensible discreet sensory surfaces by which we feel ourselves defined.

Pete - I'd like to hear your thoughts on monofins. I am using a hard Waterway with the Nemo pockets and find is much easier to conserve energy with it than with my soft fin. I'm wondering about going to the open heel pockets - and/or to a wider fin.

Thanks for sharing Pete, it was a great read. :)

The other proof to me was after diving for six months on FRC in 2005 I could equalize without the mouth fill far deeper that ever possible before, without straining (40m FRC).

How exactly are you able to extend your max FRC equalization depth? Are you just able to somehow frenzel deeper than ever before?

I realize that you advocate FRC nowadays, but if you do inhale, do you think your max inhale equalization depth with mouthfill would now be much deeper than your inhale mouthfill competition depth in 2004? Also, I assume you packed back then?

Chris, I've been sort of out of the loop for the last year in terms of monofins. For my style, I prefer a softer fin because I think I tend to undulate better than most, but that's not to say that the style you are developing isn't something worth going with. I have access to some hard fins and will experiment in the next few days. Open heel pockets I think will really cut down your dive time - I find in winter that 30-40 min is that max time for a dive before I need to get out and warm my feet. That's partly why I've been on this no fins kick.

Josh - I think FRC allow proper movement of fluid/blood around the lungs and also gets the vascular pressure in the alveoli and environs normalized, so I would guess this over time either lowers residual volume to some degree or has some other equivalent effect. I got better simply by doing more and more FRC dives.

Yes, I haven't done a full inhale in a while, but I'd say after FRC and making the most of each small lung volume, I would be able to equalize very deep. You could calculate how deep by comparing FRC at 40m and inhale at X depth. But the real proof would be in the puddin'. ;) 2004 was with mild packing since I was already suspicious of it. I think I could now go deeper without packing than with it. Both on an energy consumption level and equalizing. If Umberto can to 100m without packing, then I can set a new PB without it, too. The main issue would be allowing enough time to adjust and test how having relatively full lungs would affect me.

My monofinning is very much work in progress but what I've noticed with the hard fin is less motion more evenly distributed through the body. The soft fin seems to want more motion through a wider range. With the stiffer fin I'm able to glide along right at the edge of movement - very little knee bend - its almost a sort of spring effect - as though just the ambient tension in the tendons is doing part of the work thereby saving energy. Its a little like fa-jing in that there is a transient focus of tension with very little exertion and with no loss of 'flow'.
I can feel imperfection in force transmission with the closed footpockets but the trade-off of comfort and endurance is definitely worth it. What is your endurance with open heel during warmer weather?

Pete,
Many, many thanks. Way more than I expected when I started my thread.
I've gotta admit the direction wasn't what I expected, but this thread really did get to the core of my dilemma.

Now I've got to spend some time with it. My thought at the moment is to drop statics, increase the cardio and anabobic, and play more with FRC. That should be plenty to get me through this winter, and probbly the next few. ; ))

I still can't go all out. All the open water around here is very hard and white, so I'm stuck in the pool for a while. The up side is I can walk on water.

I'll get back in touch after I have a chance to internalize some of this and play with it.

Thanks again,
Howard

I agree that negative pressure dives and CO2 tables really don't have that much effect on performance, and the pain of doing them probably outweighs the benefits. I used to do O2 and CO2 tables often, as well as negatives dry and in the pool. Now I do dry statics and O2 tables, but not many CO2 tables or negatives. I have not seen any loss of performance, my dry and pool statics and dynamics are the same as ever. In fact my dry static PB and dynamic with fins PB were done when I was not training CO2 tables and negatives.

The O2 tables do make a real difference for me. Fitness training makes some difference, but not much. I think that is just me, as others seem to improve a lot with it.

Pete,

Thank you very much. Much of this is exactly what I needed. Your comments on cross training, co2 tables and negatives either match my experience or/and make a lot of sense. I'll be doing more anaerobic reps, starting tomorrow and trying to figure out how to adapt the rest of this to my situation.

I'm still stuck with the "can't get enough real diving" syndrome and don't see any way to apply your advice on frequent FRC diving. What little I've done is way to good to abandon the idea, so, for now, I'll be trying to adapt negatives to simulating real diving. Here is my question. If diving in the pool with enough exhale to feel the same as FRC in 10 or more meters, doing it 3-4 days a week for say 20 minutes for months (years), adjusting the "descent" time to match real diving and extending the dive time to approximate real diving, why could not this be a reasonable simulation of FRC diving? If not, could it be made so?

Connor

I can feel imperfection in force transmission with the closed footpockets but the trade-off of comfort and endurance is definitely worth it. What is your endurance with open heel during warmer weather?

In warm weather I tend to go no more than 60 minutes without taking my fin off, even if it's summer. And not all fins fit the same. There are probably more comfortable fins out there. In the old days, I would wear my fin for hours at a time, but that probably wasn't the best idea.

When the water on the surface warms up to about 17C or so, then I usually dive without socks as the fit is so much better and I like how the fin feels. It does make me a little colder but I appreciate the sensation of water running over my feet.

Pete,

I'm still stuck with the "can't get enough real diving" syndrome and don't see any way to apply your advice on frequent FRC diving. What little I've done is way to good to abandon the idea, so, for now, I'll be trying to adapt negatives to simulating real diving. Here is my question. If diving in the pool with enough exhale to feel the same as FRC in 10 or more meters, doing it 3-4 days a week for say 20 minutes for months (years), adjusting the "descent" time to match real diving and extending the dive time to approximate real diving, why could not this be a reasonable simulation of FRC diving? If not, could it be made so?

Connor

I think what is unique about FRC is the long term effect it has on the chest and blood flow/pressure. You might experiment doing FRC dynamics as a way of cross-training. Even though the depth isn't that great, 4-9ft in a typical pool, you can probably still benefit if you practice as if you were diving for fun. Spend 3-4 minutes resting on the surface and start with a neutral breath and each week try a little less air in your lungs. Dive down to the bottom and hang out there until you feel distracted, then swim until you are feeling slightly more interested in air. If you have a buddy you could push it, but in keeping with the "fun" philosophy, you can practice relaxing and fine tuning your technique on FRC.

Yes, you could do this on a full exhale, but I think in the long run FRC might be better. Can't really back it up except to say it's a hunch based on my own diving experiences and sensations and the stuff I've written about above.

This is good. I'll start experimenting and report back on progress in a few weeks.

I've discovered that what works fine for me in the pool doing negatives doesn't work diving exhale, seems to result in mild squeeze, not good. Maybe this is related to the much longer dive times, but whatever, it leaves me very unsure of how deep I can go and keep my lungs safe. How do you know when you are as deep as you should go for comfort, equalization and lung safety? What exactly does it feel like, especially what did it feel like when you first started?

Thanks for the help.

Connor

Pete,

I'm interested in your findings re breathwork in the asanas. I've begun working with them again - particularly poses like the peacock, plank, dog and cobra - a few others as well. Usually followed with Kapalabhati.

I remember some interesting experiences minimizing the breath during asana.

Reactions: Pastor
I've discovered that what works fine for me in the pool doing negatives doesn't work diving exhale, seems to result in mild squeeze, not good. Maybe this is related to the much longer dive times, but whatever, it leaves me very unsure of how deep I can go and keep my lungs safe. How do you know when you are as deep as you should go for comfort, equalization and lung safety? What exactly does it feel like, especially what did it feel like when you first started?

Thanks for the help.

Connor

That's the million dollar question. I think the answer is not a fixed quantity but rather the pursuit of feeling that you are never straining yourself. That's what I like about FRC - even gentle dives in which you don't feel any feeling of being crushed seem to help you ability to go deeper in the future. I think even dives to 3-4m in a pool will help. The best thing about it is that you can easily control your own definition of FRC and if you exhale a bit more than you want to, you don't end with a negative pressure on your lungs that far exceeds what you can handle, which is not the case with negatives.

How did it feel when I started? Well, in the beginning Eric and I were diving on a line. Our sessions were at night, actually, in November so it was a memorable experience. We weighted ourselves to sink from the surface in full 5mm suits) and used a foam noodle for flotation so we could relax on the surface properly. With this method, we would go completely limp, such that our descents were sometimes ass-backwards, arms straight out from our sides, and we'd descent oh-so-slowly, perhaps 1m every 3-4 seconds. This was in the beginning. I would feel tight in my chest at around 15m and would sometimes hold the line to slow myself down even more. I was also spooked by the lack of air in my lungs. But diving on a line used to give me a sense of security somehow. (not so much anymore) The super slow descents were essential, I think. I'm glad that that's how we approached it back then.

After a couple of sessions (we went twice a week), I was reaching 20-25m with ease. We were both surprised how after only maybe 2-3 nights, we no longer felt any sort of crushed feeling at 15-20m. Later, we started doing more streamlined dives, but still focusing on relaxing our chest wall as much as possible. I think this is really, really important for developing flexibility. A fast descent and muscular tension may impede the development of flexibility. Looking back, I probably would have taken more time at each depth, but I was more headstrong back then. :crutch

As I mentioned in the post that starts this thread, after a few weeks, FRC dives over 30m were fine and that's when I did the negative pressure check-in to 15m. (Eric, of course, went to 30m :duh ).

Another interesting thing was the noticeable lack of narcosis. Even at 30m, you'd be surprised at how much narcosis there is. Only on FRC do you notice how clear headed you are.

I don't remember why we stopped those initial sessions. Perhaps going diving in the dark with a line after work was too grueling and the cold from diving without C02 and lots of muscular effort was vastly different from what we were used to. Now, that FRC is the way we both dive, we've adjusted to it and dive for just as long in the winter as before. Funny, that.

But when I took it up again a year or so later, I stuck with rec diving and limited my depth to 15m or so for quite a long time before going deeper, eventually working my way down to 30m+.

The common thread between the two "intros" to FRC was frequency of diving and not pushing it too far on any given session. I tried to avoid feeling crushed since that was a sensation that I associated with squeezes in the past.

So to answer your question in short, I'd advise setting limits for yourself that are conservative and test them out, especially if you're going to take on FRC. For example, try out FRC in the pool with longer bottom time and see what that does. Then if you are in the ocean, build down to 10m and then become at home at that depth, staying down longer and longer in your comfort zone. Your efficiency will improve as well. Diving while completely limp is a lot of fun and should help your awareness.

See how that goes.

Pete,

I'm interested in your findings re breathwork in the asanas. I've begun working with them again - particularly poses like the peacock, plank, dog and cobra - a few others as well. Usually followed with Kapalabhati.

I remember some interesting experiences minimizing the breath during asana.

I've been away from a regular practice for two weeks, as you know. I am fascinated by the role of breath and have experimented mostly with the simple poses I can do well enough to play with my breath. I find uyaji (spelling?) very nice for cleaning up my sinuses, nose, upper bronchii, and throat. Plank is a favourite of mine and I find doing it in FRC a real challenge. I'm hoping to explore more of this in the next few months and report back. I don't really have enough experience with it yet. I'm still learning.

Pete,

I think you have given me the key. Thank you.

I played with these ideas in the pool today and can see that it is going to work. Diving this weekend. Ass-backwards eh. This will be interesting. Check your pms for a description of where we are going. You are permanently invited.

Connor

I've played around with FRC dives a bit and really enjoy them. However I wonder how much good they are doing me if they're not taking me below RV? I should theoretically reach RV at 30m on an FRC dive, based on measurements I had taken yesterday. I don't go below 30m very often on FRC, especially on recreational dives. They do seem to help with flexibility, I'm just not sure how that would be the case if I can get a lower volume simply by exhaling.

I'm considering pursuing FRC more seriously as an recreational dive strategy. However I'm rather wary of the risks involved. In my opinion it is quite easy to stuff up an FRC dive and get yourself into trouble, e.g. by over-ventilating or by moving around too much before the 'PBP' as Sebastien calls it.

You're at RV on FRC at 30m? I'd be interested in your calculations.

I think it still helps even if most of your dives are not below RV, simply because your body isn't dealing with elevated pressures associated with inhale and inhale/packing.

There are definitely risks involved if you approach FRC with the same style that you use with inhale. I don't know much about how you dive for fun, except that you are an incredible diver. But I would imagine that perhaps you can do a lot of active movement on an inhale dive and have a better than average C02 tolerance. I seem to remember that you once held a spearfishing WR? That probably wouldn't work on FRC. I would guess that FRC is not that great for spearing fish because of the smaller amount of 02 available for the bursts of exertion required to land fish.

It seriously took me half a year to figure out a new style for FRC and take it very slowly, which is humbling as I said previously. Eric had similar experiences, although, being a better diver than I am and, having no issues with lung injury, he progressed much more quickly than I did and routinely dives to 40m on FRC in winter conditions.

Also, to make a distinction between Seb's PBP and the recreational method I'm discussing - I rarely make a rec dive to PBP, focusing instead on minimizing 02 consumption. Seb's methods for performance are a whole other ball of wax that I don't use for fun diving.

Last edited:
Ahh, ok. My rec dives are largely passive so do seem to suit FRC pretty well, but probably tend to be closer to the 'performance' end of the scale so I've been aligning my approach more with Seb's methods for performance diving. I actually have pretty lousy CO2 tolerance, which is one reason I'm starting to look at FRC more closely.

As for the calculations... I pretty much suck at maths but my RV=1.52l and FRC=6l.

That's funny, Dave. I'm not sure what my RV is but my old lung capacity with packing years ago was around 9 L, regular inhale was just over 6 L. So my FRC would be somewhere in the vicinity of 3.0 - 4.0 L, I think, although it's been ages since I've done any spirometry on that.

So what's your TLC, then? 14 L? :duh

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT