• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How to start Freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I tried doing a static breath hold last night to get an idea of my max (got 2mins) but during my breath up/relaxing, I found I was starting to yawn quite often (sometimes every 3 or so breaths, sometimes more). Just wondering if this is normal, or am I doing something wrong with my breathing and therefore not getting enough oxygen?

Any input would be great thanks.

To get around this I use this online table.

Thanks a lot for this link Matrix...I was wondering if something like that existed!

And thank you to everyone who is / has been contributing to this thread, I just did my first c02 table tonight with a little Pink Floyd to help me along, and did just fine! Can't wait to do the 02 tomorrow and eventually see an increase in my static!

-chris

WOW what a long read :p

I must say that alot of stuff written has gone over my head LOL, But the
stuff i can understand is very interesting and usefull.
I am new to the sport and i have to say very unfit, so i will start doing my tables
tomorow night and see how i progress
At the moment i can only do about 45sec static which is dismal i know but
hopefully with training i can reach 2-3min(my goal)

i an asthmatic so i can scuba dive, wondering how to sdtart free diving and where in sydney or on the web i can learn

i an asthmatic so i can scuba dive, wondering how to sdtart free diving and where in sydney or on the web i can learn
Welcome to DeeperBlue, Ralphie! :wave
You're on the right track. :) Have You read the sticky post right on top of this forum? (i.e. This thread)
If that one doesn't get You started, then nothing will I fear.
But shout a hello in the "Introductions" forum stating where You're from and I think You'll find people to go splashing with. :D

Just make sure You don't dive alone. :)

umm how much weight should i use on my weight belt becvuase iam 15 so how many you think best would suit me

mishmish- how much do you weight? What is the thickness of your wetsuit? what do you plan on doing- divewise? Spearfish? or Line Dives?

quality of the mask and fins is essential
as i read/ understand the mask for freediving has to be small (low volume) and squba or freediving suits are different (!)
buy good fins or expect blisters, wounds and cramps
i have no experiance with weights-> ask guys on the forum
snorkle -> some freedivers are used to have it on the surface but douring the dive i usually put it out the mouth
gloves -> nice gear to have (for me is a must)
knife -> ask guys on the forum (lol)
injuries-> i experienced an ear infection -> 2, 3 days of agony; on 4th, 5th day ull get a yellow/ orange sludge from nose and ears; stay away from cold and wind after the dive i guess -> i have never be to a doctor
+10m -> dive with a buddy

Last edited:
umm how much weight should i use on my weight belt becvuase iam 15 so how many you think best would suit me

So many people now saying 'oh I'm 14 or 16' or whatever, I realise. No offense, just an observation.

What has age have to do with how much weight you use?:confused: It's your size that matters, doesn't it? It would be nice if you can tell us your height, weight, body fat percentage, thickness of exposure suit etc etc.

injuries-> i experienced an ear infection -> 2, 3 days of agony; on 4th, 5th day ull get a yellow/ orange sludge from nose and ears; stay away from cold and wind after the dive i guess -> i have never be to a doctor
Okay everyone,

who can tell me where Karletto has made a really silly mistake?

anyone?

A hint: it's hidden there by the end of what I quoted.

+10m -> dive with a buddy
Sorry, Karletto, another bad bummer. Correct is: If You dive more than zero meters -> dive with a buddy.
To simplify it: Always dive with a buddy.

Great thread! If someone ever asks me another question about free diving I will recomend this website and more specifically this thread.

Hi,

I started with scuba diving. I had the chance to try freediving and it was fantastic.

How many time / long must I spent to practice/training per week to achieve a solid level?

Andi

How many time / long must I spent to practice/training per week to achieve a solid level?

Andi

Get comfortable with the equipment and the water and then find a place to take a freediving course- They will teach you solid techniques and you can continue to practice from there. More importantly they teach you SAFETY.

An instructor gave me a trial lesson, theory (with the safety rules) and practice.

Back from lurking for a while (also no freediving since last year :() to keep you informed I'm still trying to keep this post updated.

The black-out and samba videosite is down, but I will try to find a new one. :)

Also the number of characters allowed in one post has been changed to 10000 so I can't change the post correctly since the post is already longer than that.

I will find a solution and update the post ASAP. :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT