• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How to start Freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Serge, thanks so much!

I've looked at that website and seems just what I need to start my training. I've emailed them. It's cheap and easy to fly to Krabi from Singapore. Can't wait!

DeepThought said:
There is also http://www.apnea-total.com/ in Thailand.

Didnt know about this one in Koh Tao. This island is just an amazing place, i know a secret spot on the east side of the island where, after a 30 min swim along the shore one can freedive almost daily, at dawn, with a bunch of black tips coming ashore to chill out and feed. amazing place, wish i was back there not in the office right now!

serge

Hi,

I started doing the table recently. I tried using one of the softwares on the website but i still have a few queries :

02 tables:
1) During the resting period of 2 mins, am i suppose to breathe normally? Deep breathes? or what?

2) I start first set of breathe at 15 sec and last set at 2mins. Is the last set suppose to be relatively difficult? When do i know I'm ready to increase all my sets by 15 sec?

3) What is breathe up?

4) How many times can I do each set of table a day? Any limit?

Thanks Biotronix!

I find there's quite a big disparity between my personal best and regular best. I can normally do about 2min without much prepping. But if I push it and slow my hearbeat etc, 3:30. I take it then I should base my 80% on 2 min?

Serge,

I've never been to Koh Tao but it sounds divine. The pictures on Apnea Total website are great too. Go check out the video of freedivers with mantas.

Ad

ADELENELYNCH said:
Serge,

I've never been to Koh Tao but it sounds divine. The pictures on Apnea Total website are great too. Go check out the video of freedivers with mantas.

Ad

Well, strongly recommended, it's afordable and a great place to relax, both on land and into the blue!

on your PB, if you did already a 3.30min that's your mark. Do tables up to 2.45 min or 2.30min

Also, i suggest that you do tables only 3-4 days per week, not every day - this way you avoid overdoing it.

And one question you did not get the answer, breath up means just that....to breath in preparation for apnea - normally a slow inhale, short pause and even longer exhale (make it 6 inhole, 2-4 pause, 10-12 exhale).

serge

Did my first C02 table today. Questions :

I did breahte hold 1:30, and reducing rest time to 30secs. I find that relatively easy, even to the last set. No contractions. I read somewhere that if so, it's not really training my limits. Should I increase breathehold to 1:45 and reduce rest time to 15sec in last set pls?

Serge, not heard from the guys at Koh Tao. Got tickets to Samui this weekend, cant wait to go. :) Hope they reply soon!

Cheers!
Ad

I think that increasing breathehold to 1:45 is a good start and if you get to the end of the table easily then do the 15 secs rest time. Sounds like you're progressing well.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the note. I'll give it a try tomorrow. It's a real pain in the ass having only once a day to do the tables. I'm a bit impatient and would love to do the couple of times a day if I can. Wonder why people say it's best to do only one table a day. But I'm sure there's some logic to it I dont know of yet.

Yes, when you are very enthusiastic it is difficult to be patient! I think the reason you have to do only 1 table a day is to avoid overtraining your body.

Adelenelynch
You are getting some good advice and let me add my 2 cents worth.

"the reason you have to do only 1 table a day is to avoid overtraining your body." Andrew

not the only reason. I have had the pleasure/honor of working with, talking to, observing and being instructed by many athletes from beginner to world champion in several sports. The quantity of the training is less important than the consistency, at least for the first few years. It is discouraging to watch a talented athlete improve by leaps and bounds only to quit, for one of many reasons, before he reaches full potential. training has a lot to do with the head, especially in freediving. Try to find a schedule that you can maintain for a long time, including peaks, valleys and time off.
Having said that, there is nothing magical about the tables, optimal maybe but not magical. If you did a table and #8 was easy, my question is "what did you do for #9". In my case, extending the hold on #8 works and tells a lot about what you can do that day or what table you will use next time. Warning: not all surprises will be pleasant.
Aloha
Bill

If you're consistently able to do 1:30 holds in a CO2 table without contractions, then you probably would be better to bump up to 1:45. Otherwise, you're just staying in your comfort zone. I do 2 min holds with my CO2 tables, but I'm not ready to ramp up just yet. Last week, I had a hold during one with NO contractions, but doing today's, I was having contractions like crazy. So, I'm not ready to ramp up just yet. Incidentally, my current PB hold is 3:30, right where yours is. :)

Todd

it pisses me off to hear you speaking about koh tao... I was there the summer, a month ago, but at this time I did not discovered apnea !! I feel like I missed such a big thing.. I was there sitting on the beach while right next to me, people were bubbling around at 30m above the surface !!!
i'll be back...

Makes great sense Bill. Thanks. I have been impatient w some sports and paid the price for it. Don't want the same to happen w freediving hence I'm eager to proper instruction and take it sloooooow..... SO HARD!!!!

I read in another thread about starting age for freedivers and someone said, "the older the better, coz then you lose the competitiveness" I think that's true to some extent. But for some, competitiveness is second nature, and more often than not, the competition is themselves. For me, freediving is 50% pushing my limits and 50% about the spiritual high of connecting w natural marine world. The moment that fraction tips higher for me, I know i'm pushing myself harder than i probably should.

I didnt know you could do a #9. Makes sense. Got another question : when do most of you do your practice tables? I suppose the time of the day would make a lot of diff to how easy it is. I find it easiest first thing in the morning. Does that mean if I get to do it then, I should up my table to optimize my training? Eg. first thing in morning, 02 table to max 2:45 would be easy but not after i get back from work.

Biotronix, make another trip to Koh Tao then. :)

Any idea if it's monsoon there yet? Not sure if the guys have packed up for the monsoon season coz I'm not getting any email replies.

oo, lots of replies in my absence, glad other people have given good advice :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT