• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How to start Freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
The term "Dive Reflex" actually is slightly misleading, as a reflex is a very simple mechanism with one input trigger (stimulus) and one resulting action, mostly a movement, e.g. the knee-knock test at the doctor's where one input value (the sudden lengthening of a muscle) triggers one simple action (the sudden contraction of the same muscle). also, the pupilary light reflex where an increased amount of light hitting the eye triggers a contraction of the pupil.

The Mammalian Dive Response is actually somewhat more complex, as there are several input values or triggers (CO₂ level, pressure, immersion, ...) that trigger several different mechanisms (Vasoconstricion, Bradycardia, ...)

:)

merry Christmas. :)

Last edited:
I figured I'd post this here, rather than starting a new thread. I've read through this thread, but may have missed this somewhere. I have a question about tables, although I suspect it may be more of a matter of preference. Do you move to a more difficult table as soon as you're able to complete your current table, or do you continue with your current table until it becomes relatively easy?

I do the tables untill its getting relatively easy. Then increase the apnea in the tables by 15 sec. But I guess it is a matter of improvisation.

What are you trying to improve by doing the tables? What is the goal of the training? Static itself, dynamic apnea (in a pool) or depth diving, maybe for spearing? In general they will get easier as you do the tables, and you can increase the workload, if you have the patience ;)

hmm, well get in the pool/ocean with a good buddy and stop messing around with silly tables ;)

hmm, well get in the pool/ocean with a good buddy and stop messing around with silly tables ;)

I try to get in the pool and the ocean as often as I can, but I need a way to pass the time when I'm sitting at my desk :)

hi you all nice site . here is my secret island i love it i go almost weekly :)

Attachments

• 20110217059.jpg
    20110217059.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 170
  • 20110217060.jpg
    20110217060.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 20110217061.jpg
    20110217061.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 184
I would recommend always bringing a knife. It can be life saving in case you get tangled with lines or a piece of clothing gets stuck to a coral.

hi all i have question about my gear i just got my 8/7 mm bare velocity semi dry suite and need some info how much weights shud i get for it my weight is 80 kilos or about 175 lbs, also is it a good suit for free diving? its very worm but also uncomfrtable and takes a lot of effort to take off, thx

Last edited:
My guess 8 pounds could go ten depends how deep your diveing good to be neutral bouant at 30 or less feet drowning is not much fun and cant even complain about it dive fun but be safe

hi all i have question about my gear i just got my 8/7 mm bare velocity semi dry suite and need some info how much weights shud i get for it my weight is 80 kilos or about 175 lbs, also is it a good suit for free diving? its very worm but also uncomfrtable and takes a lot of effort to take off, thx

7/8mm is A LOT for freediving, I think the most freedivers/spearfishers use is 7mm diving in freezing waters for hours.

I have a semi dry/wet suit here at home, an old cheap one, and it does not compare to any freedive suit. Freediving suits are very flexible, tailor made or at least very neat fitting. This quality greatly enhances insulation, and thus allows for thinner and softer neoprene, allowing in turn much, much more ease of movement, comfort, speed etc.

I did also freedive with the 7/7 semi dry suit, and it was... scary! I used 6 KG of weight ~ 10,5 Lbs, but found myself to be buoyant for 0 - 5m, and very negative below 7m, and that's scary when you feel you need to push up all theses Lbs's!!!

So my recommendation is to get a thin freedive suit, 5mm black coated inside, super stretch nylon outside should be a nice all round training suit.
I had very good experience with Elios Sub, who's tailor suit prices are very competitive with standard suit manufactures such as Bare.

Along with that I think 3-4 Kg and rubber weight belt would give you a much better dive experience and more safety.

Kars

Reactions: fcallagy
yeah iam in wellington nz water temps here very cold but suit keep me worm i was in there for about 1 hr only thing my forhead was litle cold as it was exposed to cold water then i started to get head aeck probably due to my quiting smoking, got me 10 kg belt today gota start from 6kg , thx for ur help

Wear a silicone swimming cap under your hood, it will keep your head and sinuses extra warm, for easier equalisation and overall warmth.

Maybe you and your buddy can find yourself (or bring) a buoy, so you can test your setup with the comfort and safety of having a line to the surface to pull yourself up to.

It's also a nice place to practice duckdives and many other Freediving techniques.

Mind the boat traffic though, some have a tendency to corner these buoys very tight, which is not nice when resurfacing...

Some more tips for cold water diving.
Combating the cold eating a bit of pasta helps - just pasta with some olive oil, without sauce or just a light vegan sauce.
Being hydrated, rested helps.
Taking a bit of time to get in, allowing the skin to tight before loosing the core warmth.
Doing some warm ups before entering the water.
When in the water, move in such way limiting water ingress and flow in and out of the suit.
When you do get cold, you can tense and release a number of times the big muscle groups, generating warmth.
When the shivering becomes uncontrollable it's time to get out quickly, avoiding cramps.
Wear a rubber weight belt on your hips, this allowing for much easier and deeper breathing.

Has anyone else some more cold water tips?

Kars.

thx for all ur help , i think 7 killos is my magic number however i need some getin used to it as it feels weird and i need constantly balance my self other wise it keeps me rolling to side with most weights on it , is not rubber belt and weights not atached and keep movin from side to side, also i found that my fllipers stay above water do i need to get some ankle weight? thx for ur wisdom once again i definetly gona get teh cap

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT