• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

hunting in black sea

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
What I posted was
a link to a thread in a spearo forum in which forum participant Vasily describes spearing zubar in the Black Sea - see post
user-offline.png
Васисуалий
photo-thumb-1383.jpg

rating_0_mini.gif

gender_male.png
Просмотр профиля

to_post_off.gif
24.3.2009, 15:48in this thread: ???? ? ??????????? ????? ??? ????????? ? ?????? ???? - ????? APOX.Ru
I posted a zubar entry on the Black Fish fish encyclopedia of a forum of Russian-language spearos
:: :: ::
I posted an article in a Russian-language news portal which describes fish that can be found in the Black Sea and mentions zubar among other fish
??????? ????????? » ????????? : ?????????? ??????, ???????????, ????? ????, ???????? ??????????.
even if this guy misidentified zubar in his photo, doesn't change the obvious - it exists in the Black Sea and has been taken by many spearos
- I am not going to do the legwork for you and produce more evidence - plain log in on any of the following forums - apox.ru and podvoh.ru and ask their participants whether they have seen and taken zubars in Black Sea. Here is the text of the inquiry if you need one in Russian "Добрый день! Меня интересует встречали ли вы и брали ли во время подводной охоты в Черном море зубарей. Если - да, то не могли бы вы дать линк на фото. Спасибо."

Last edited:
Reactions: vali
even if this guy misidentified zubar in his photo, doesn't change the obvious - it exists in the Black Sea and has been taken by many spearos
- I am not going to do the legwork for you and produce more evidence - plain log in on any of the following forums - apox.ru and podvoh.ru and ask their participants whether they have seen and taken zubars in Black Sea. Here is the text of the inquiry if you need one in Russian "Добрый день! Меня интересует встречали ли вы и брали ли во время подводной охоты в Черном море зубарей. Если - да, то не могли бы вы дать линк на фото. Спасибо."

OK, OK, calm down :)
I don't want to start an argument here. I appreciate your "effort" but although Russian and Bulgarian share the same alphabet, they are two different languages and I don't really understand Russian thus posting a link to a Russian forum where someone tells a story of how he has speared a dentex in the Black Sea isn't of much help.
I have heard my share of stories of dentex speared in Bulgaria. It is possible, I'm not saying it isn't, but I have never seen a photo of such fish from the Black Sea.
Nevermind, take care and I wish you to catch a big Black Sea dentex soon and slap me in the face with the picture :)

Regards!

Reactions: podge
Most possibly, the confusion is caused by the wrong translation. Multitran.ru, which I as an interpreter found most accurate in the past, might have a wrong translation for zubar. Mulitran.ru translates Zubar as Dentex Vulgaris, while pics I have been offered identify zubar as Diplodus puntazzo. Whatever it is, here are pics:::: ?????? ???? ::: ????? ? ????? ????????? ???? ??????? ????

This is the most likely reason for the confusion, I agree. We are lost in translation :)
Here are pictures of both dentex (caught by me in the Aegean) and Bream (Diplodus puntazzo) caught in the Black Sea also by me. The difference is obvious.
I hope this clarifies everything.
Cheers!

Attachments

• dentex.JPG
    dentex.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 234
  • diplodus_puntazzo.JPG
    diplodus_puntazzo.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 242
I just wanted to keep the thread afloat so here is a picture of my friend's 9 kg seabass caught last week. It was shot with my gun, unfortunately not by me :head

Attachments

• DSC02396.JPG
    DSC02396.JPG
    295.5 KB · Views: 245
Reactions: podge and foxfish
Sure! :)

My friend is a very lucky chap. On Saturday we were diving together and on his second dive at 7 metres deep some 15-20 fish in the range of 4-5kg came to check him out. He shot one of the bigger fish and all the others fled the area. This is typical for Black Sea bass. You can hardly catch 2 fish from the same schoal because after the first shot the spot is empty, the fish flee somwhere. Only if we knew where...

The 5 kilo fish broke his reel on Saturday and I took it with me to fix it. I gave him my wooden gun 85cm with 2x16mm bands.

On Sunday, I had some family stuff to do and he had to go alone. He decided to check the same place again.

When he reached the spot he made a first dive and didn't see anything. On the second dive he saw the huge fish cruising some 6-7 metres away from him. A few seconds later it seems that his presence was noticed and the fish made a slight turn towards him, but not in the aggressive manner smaller bass do, just changed its path a little. Then he shot. The distance was a good 4-5 metres thus the low shot in the belly.
He is a lucky chap... The fish didn't rip and he got it with almost no fight.

Btw this Sunday he got two more in the 4 kilo range. I'm starting to think it is not so much about luck anymore :)

Dobs, that’s some whacking great Bass, a big well done to your mate.

Reactions: Dobs
i never saw this kind of fish in black sea
perhaps he live in the southern part...

Hi Vali,

I'm sure you have the same fish in your waters. After all we are not that far apart.

Many Bulgarian spearos catch big bass in the nothernmost parts of our coastline, which is right at the border with Romania.

Black Sea holds many surprises. We do not have huge trophy fish like dentex, amber jacks, tunas etc. but there are many other types of nice fish.
We have huge bonitos (last autumn a friend of mine caught a 6kg one), bass, bluefish, dorada and many other.

Here are some pics from last year:

Attachments

• gofus_lavrak_2008.JPG
    gofus_lavrak_2008.JPG
    463.3 KB · Views: 236
  • lavrak_podvoda.JPG
    lavrak_podvoda.JPG
    549.2 KB · Views: 218
  • liastovica_dorada_19.07.2008.JPG
    liastovica_dorada_19.07.2008.JPG
    920.5 KB · Views: 228
well
i was last weekend at the sea for some scuba sessions [i-m about to take my rescue certification]
for some reason i forget about scuba and i went 3 day in freediving and snorkeling
sunday i took my gun [the turbot gun wich is 40 cm longue] and i dive in for mullet
is hard to spear a mullet with a 40 cm longue gun, but in the end i did it

28062009001.jpg

Hey Vali, that is a very good result for such a short gun. Get yourself a 75 or 90cm rubber-band gun and you will sure get many of those mullets. :)

i have a 75cm gun, the same brand as the above, but i must change the piston...
i thried to make it functionally ok, but i did-nt manage to move the piston...
i prefer the compressed air gun, because in the water, the streched rubber make vibrations when rotating the gun in whatever directions....and the mullet fly in fear...
thanks for the reply:)

dobs
where do you live in bulgaria?
who knows
maybe we can dive toghether sometimes...
i have some mates who scubadived in bulgaria last week
in tyulenovo if i-m not mistaken...

Unfortunately I live further south, but I have dived in Tyulenovo (Tyulen=Seal) and Kamen Briag (Rocky Coast), which are very close to the Romanian border. There are some wonderful sites on our northern coast.
My hometown is Burgas and is some 200 km south of the villages we are talking about. If you ever come to our coast let me know and I'll see if we can arrange a diving session together.

but first i want to ask you what are the hunting regulations in bulgaria?
do i need a permit for my gun?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT