• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hunting Technique

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I've seen that same pic(first one) somewhere here, on another thread, I suppose. I REALLY like the float in that first pic. That's what I'll end up with for sure. Did you make it yourself? how are the zip ties connected to the bodyboard? Doesn't look like there is holes in the board for the zip ties. Also, is there a I bolt in the bottom to connect the line or what? How is that part done? If you could post pics of the bottom side it would be fabulous!

I really like how it's nice and organized too. It's absolutely perfect! :inlove If you made this one you should start selling them, jst make sure to show me a pic of the bottom side first.:):t

I was thinking it might be nice to have an inflatable sea kayak to anchor, then bring another float around like yours to swim with. Or just hunt right around the kayak. I like the idea of being able to throw my fish in a boat or something, intead of running the risk of attracting sharks with my dead bloody catch sitting in the water.

Good job X,:)
Chris

No it's not my float, good though isn't it. I use a solid 11 litre Rob Allen float (a bit big for the UK perhaps -- but apparently good used in pairs in tropical waters, easily seen & robust).

The picture is from the Norcal site, the link is included above the picture (the link also includes instructions). Yes, I included the picture in a much earlier float thread & I believe Island_Sands did likewise in her thread while looking for a freediving float. I have seen several other good homemade boogie board images on the web including on this forum. It is probably not as cheap & cheerful as it looks, those motorcycle bungee nets are quite expensive (in the UK anyway).

[How big do reckon that railgun is...40 or 50cm? At 90cm, mine would not pack in nicely like that. However, with Tommy's big board....Might be a bit awkward to carry, I think they use them from boats normally].

Check out our current "Rigging a kayak for Spearfishing thread" and for inflatible kayaks checkout the recent "Dory, RIB, Kayak, Dinghy" thread (it includes links to other threads & sites). ;)

Last edited:
Check these things out! They have a viewing hole that has a little fiberglass window to see down bottom.:) I'd love to have one of these and make it into one of the bodyboard floats! pretty cool, could be heavy though.:naughty

Btw, I found a bodyboard on ebay for $5 US. It's even in the town I live in so I can just go pick it up! Talk about a cheap float.

chris

Attachments

• viewboards.jpg
    viewboards.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 350
They would probably be good in the water but a bit big to carry far, or transport (says the kayak owner :eek:). Congrats. on the $5 boogie board - you're set! I tried to get a used one at the end of season (Oct) a couple of years but they wanted a lot of money -- I think around £20 -- for some heavily used, beat up ex-rentals (about a third were actually broken & unusable!); I doubt if any of them were worth £5.

Last edited:
Hiya

I prefer a very simple approach!! A straighforward normal float with a normal floatline works VERY well!!

From the discussion, it seems that the body board float you want to use would primarily be used to keep your fish out of the water as well as acting as a attachment point for loads of accesories. Things to take into account: fish will dry out in the sun, birds will have loads of fun eating your fish, what stops your board from capsizing once there is fish on it, in a strong wind, especially with fish on top, how much drag is there going to be?, etc

Losing fish to sharks is a rare occurance. We used black bags or small mesh bags to pull over our fish. Seals and sharks will ignore your catch this way.

The reason we use big boogie boards is for the floatation needed to land very large pelagics. Using a 7ltr or 11ltr RA type of solid foam filled float is generally your best bet. You can attach your stringer, spare gun, some water, your car key's etc to the clip at the back of the float.

Points to ponder on!!

Regards
miles

Reactions: Mr. X
aesop.I built a bodyboard float a year or so ago and consider it part of my gear like fins or mask.I get to all my spots by foot and by swimming so it helps to carry all my gear on my shoulders so I can have my hands free.I've fallen down a few times walking across jetties and rubble and was glad to have my hands free to catch myself.It can be used for a blue water float for everything but mega sized tuna.Make sure to remove the plastic top and bottom that the leash attach to and put on something stronger on .

http://forums.deeperblue.net/forum53/thread54004.html?highlight=bodyboard

Ok guys, thanks for tips. Looks like I have to think it through before I go contructing something.

I was defenitly gonna modify the norcal board to make it my own. I did think about the fact that a good sized fish could take it down for a while, not a good thing.

Also, it's nice to hang on to something for rest if your out in open water, right? Maybe I'll add a couple torpedo floats for bouyancy?

As for keeping fish on top, I wasn't gonna keep them in the open, lmao, i was thinking of putting them in an old back pack of mine, putting some ice in with a small bit of water, but I thought twice and i'm not gonna do it.

We'll see what happens. I'm not sure about the capsizing part. I have no clue where I'm gonna be going so I can't model my float after a particular area. It won't cost more than about 15US dollars to make this one and I can always modify it. I'll be sure to fiberglass it over for strength.

I guess I should start scouting for spots, sound like a ood idea to me. I've yet to find a dive buddy and I don't want to go alone my first time. I didn't grow up by the ocean like many people did, so I hav'nt got a clue of the major details of the ocean, like tides, currents and whatever is vital to survival. We'll see what happens.:confused:

Cheers,
Chris

"I'll be sure to fiberglass it over for strength."

I'll save you some time and a little money.Don't bother

The bodyboard is to flexable to glass.It will start to delaminate and then your gonna have a waterlogged float,and probally have glass embedded in you or your suit.

The bodyboard float will suit most of your needs unless your going after tuna.
The tuna float was designed for that,tuna.If your going after tuna,more than likely you have a boat so you don't need to carry your gear on the float.What you will find out is some gear will not serve multiple purposes very well .You will have to have seperate gear for different enviroments and different prey. Have fun building.

Ok. It sounds like everybody has a different perspective on it. I'll just have to what happens. Thanks for the ideas all.

Cheers

Mr. X,

Thanks for the ideas from the Norcal board. I will use them next trip.

Connor

ive learnt a lot reading from this, lots about equipment/strategy but not much on the psychology of spearing (is it perhaps there isnt one?!). when out hunting if i try too hard i see less fish (i only go for Bass) as opposed to dropping in and just focusing on a small crab etc with no thoughts of spearing for the first minute or so and let the bass come in to me. I use the same hide in the weed/ambush technique. Do we give off an aura/vibe/hormonal scent? or is it purely body language when intent on harm ?.... any body else tried tempering their thoughts while spearing?

Hiya

Fish can undoubtedly reconize our intent. Be it the way we look at them or our body language, they certainly know when they're safe from you!! How many times have you had a big fish swim lazily pass you whilst your gun was unloaded or you've just shot a fish?:vangry :vangry Making eye contact seems to viewed as a sigh of aggression. Thats why when you look at something else, the fish doesn't see you as a potential thread. Lokk directly at a fish and chances are it'll bolt!!

Regards
miles

Reactions: capetownguy
i do try to look out of the corner of my eye but still they read my mind, do you think i could rap my head in tinfoil to avoid the lateral line scanner?...!

Reactions: fishimani
heres one for thought, on some reefs that i hunt, there are areas where the water is colder.. usually flows a bit faster too (when i say colder, i generally just mean by maybe 2 - 3 degrees)

i seem to find more baitfish in these channels of colder water, especially stuff like goggle eyes (i think thats what they are called internationally, we call 'em john jacks here) and, thinking back to it, ive got a lot of average size fish like spanish mackeral in those areas, anyone else ever notice anything like this?

Hiya

Sickbugs, i've noticed that too!!! Some fish prefer cooler water. A prime example is our yellowfin tuna. Often we find a currentline where the warm blue water, which is normally 20-23 degrees celcuis, meeting the colder greenish water that is 18 degrees. In the warmer water, we would get albacore and skipjack/bonito BUT as soon as you start trolling in the colder water, these fish are absent and you start getting yellowfin tuna's!!

Conversely, when our waters on the tuna grounds exceed 24 degrees cecuis, you BATTLE to find yellowfins. Don't know whether they simply stay very deep down or whether they move off to cooler waters. But now in this very warm waters we find many species that are rare to our coast, like dorado/mahi-mahi, wahoo and marlin.

I suppose fish in a specific area have a certain comfortable temperation zone in which they are happy with. Very confusing, as these same fish tend to be found in very warmer waters as well.

Regards
miles

i have noticed here at skandinavia that small bait fish are in the bays are in the shallow water there is almost a line drawn in the the water other side food and other predators i think bait fish move slo in cold and it is easier to come pick up almost frozen baitfish from the warm side...

Re: Hunting Technique: The old "I'm going to get my speargun trick"?

The old "I'm going to get my speargun trick"?

Bass are known to for their curiosity. I wonder if they ever follow you?
My first day spearfishing, I first went out just snorkelling with my float about 1/4 of a mile or so. About a third of the way back to the beach I saw a couple of large fish (Bass) sheltering in a shallow cave about 10 feet below the surface. I swam back to shore casually to get my speargun - fully expecting them to be long gone before I returned.

When I returned, with the speargun I swam out until I was well clear of the beach & decided I might as well load up. With in 30 secs two large fish appeared in front of me. I got the first one (not bad - first bass within 30 secs of loading a speargun for the first time, ever) & bagged it. I reloaded and to my surprise almost immediately came upon the second fish again & fired. It would have been a sure kill (2 bass within 2 minutes of first loading a speargun would surely be some kind of record?) -- BUT I was being cautious and had put the safety on:head :)naughty I had been warned not to use the safety -- a topic we fully discussed in a thread last year). Lesson learnt.

Anyway, I have always assumed that the second pair of Bass were different fish -- however I now wonder if it is possible if they might have followed me in; the original pair were no longer at the cave. (Do Bass scavenge around larger fish?). May be something to investigate this year, if the opportunity arises. I also wonder if going out on recon. first, just snorkelling, might have a good calming influence on hunter & fish alike.:hmm

It has probably already been mentioned, but "knowing your quarry is important". You can read about technique and that is worthwhile, but until you've hunted a certain species, and blown some opportunities you won't really have it dialed.

I'd love to be providing some bluewater experience. Unfortunately, I'm just getting my feet wet in that arena. Hopefully I'll learn more from some of you. I'm especially interested in bluewater techniques that have been successfully practiced in Florida waters, especially Palm Beach County or a neighboring area.

Some of the species I hunt behave differently as they grow larger. One of these is a tasty little reef fish that is so easy to hunt up to about 17" but after that it becomes quite wary. As a smaller fish it will often turn sideways, right in front of you, facilitating the shot. Larger fish of the type will usually rapidly swim away from you though, never even glancing back to avoid presenting a large profile. These large specimens can only be hunted in deep water (on crystal clear days when you can see them from the surface). Generally I'll spot them from a great distance while I'm on the bottom. Then I'll surface and swim directly above it. Then I have to drop down directly on top of them and shoot them in the back (the most difficult shot).

One species I hunt will come in to investigate (provided you are dropping like a falling leaf and not moving much). It will come in only once and it will pass at a minimum distance of about 3 meters. Once it has completed its pass, it will not be seen again. The window of opportunity for a shot on one is perhaps 3 seconds, afterwhich they realize that something is suspicious and rapidly leave. If I miss a specimen under these circumstances, I don't even bother to think about it anymore since there will be no more opportunities.

Some species will come around again and again as a school as you extract one and then another delicious member from it. These are a strong species and I nearly wince after squeezing the trigger on them because if it doesn't hit the spine, things are bound to get crazy.

If you reef hunt, you are probably passing over lots of qualilty game without even seeing them. Fish are experts at avoiding being seen. Focus on a quality hunt rather than covering terrain. A very large fish can be within easy striking distance, observing you, and you will not even know it. Realize that this is not the exception, but rather the rule. The fish are there...but are you savy, and patient enough to see them? On a difficult day I might swim off the reef into the sand, drop to the bottom and dig a little hole to stir things up; sometimes it will make a curious fish reveal itself.

Fish hide in caves and crevices. An area that seems to be devoid of large gamefish may hold lots of good specimens. The key is patience. I have dove down into the same mouth of a cave as many as six times, patiently scanning every single inch of the interior for any sign...and then, in the deep recesses, there it is, just the jutting bottom jaw of a huge specimen who just can't bear the stress of not taking a peek at me. Calm yourself, be patient, get in touch with the beauty of your surroundings, understand the a large fish can be right under your nose without being detected. Look at the same spots over and over again. The fish are there.

Some of my favorite fish will only approach at a relatively long distance and only one time. These are my favorites. By the end of the season these ultra-long shots come so naturally to me that my gun feels like an extension of my body. By the end of the season I rarely miss these arrow-shaped fish that come by at high speed and seem to laughing as if to say "there is no way I can be touched at this speed...YOUCH!"

In general, don't make eye contact with fish and don't chase fish. Unless the species you are pursuing is one of the rare ones that is easier to harvest by being chased, absolutely do not do it. Believe it or not, other fish are watching the show. You are not only scaring the fish you are after, but also other, perhaps higher-quality fish that are nearby. Chasing fish scares all the fish in the area you are hunting, especially the large prized gamefish that are watching your every move. Of course, fish that you have hit, and that have torn off or otherwise gotten off may have to be pursued more aggressively. But even this requires technique. You will be reloading your gun, trying to keep an eye on the fish, swimming, watching for competitors (sharks), etc. Sometimes it is worth a charge to finish a stunned fish off. If however he is getting a sense of himself again, it is often worth it to follow at a distance that puts the fish at some ease, at the edge of visibility. At that point the wounded fish, who wants to rest, will often head under a ledge, giving you time to prepare, huff up properly and execute the kill.

Be careful fighting fish. They are powerful and are in their element. The only thing you have any business doing in very deep water is calmly finning to the surface. Always either have a breakaway so that the spear is tied directly to your surface float, tie your gun to your float and leave it inline between your float and the fish, or have some other means to calmly leave the scene of the shot instead of struggling with a fish at depth. Pull it up from the surface if possible. There is a great likelihood on the reef that the fish will seek refuge in a cave. Buy and keep at least a small SCUBA rig on your boat. Do not come to view this sport such that you accept a free-dive as a necessity, for almost any reason. You do not want to HAVE TO, dive down to extract your fish from the reef. If it is within your abilities to do so, then have at it. But don't struggle on the bottom, burning your last molecule of O2 while struggling with game. Keep a small gaff on your boat for such occurrances. I've had fish look me in the eye at the mouth of a cave, wedged into a crevice, nearly saying "buddy, you are not going to pull me outa here". These are incredibly powerful animals. But when you sink the gaff into the side of their head or elsewhere into their bodies it is remarkable how agreeable they become. Wear gloves at all times and have a knife handy at all times. Understand the anesthetic effect that putting your hand inside the fish's gill plate has. Get your hand inside the gill plate of every fish you shoot at the first available opportunity.

Get in touch with your ability to feel the energy of fish in the water. Often, you can know that quality fish are around before you ever see them. I learned this from a very talented female spearo in the Key West, whose prowess I will never equal. She taught me some of the zen aspects of free-diving and spearfishing. When the season is in full swing, and you have been out a lot, for many hours at a time, you somehow get in sync with the energy of the sea. You see things without your eyes. I cannot explain how to do it, it comes from deep in your soul. I can't count the number of times I've popped my head up and told my son, or other spearos "keep your eyes open, there is something special around here." Inevitably a very large specimen will soon be found or speared, even when the rest of the day has yielded little.

Finally, be careful with your gun. It is a gun in every sense of the word that is capable of easily ending the lives of the people you that you love or horribly disfiguring you and changing the nature of your relatioship with them forever more, in a very terrible way. I have only had one questionable incident, that embarasses me to this day. I laid my gun, with the safety off on the reef and it shot out sideways. My female friend in the keys who was thankfully not in the line of fire, but was on the bottom nearby later said "I'm glad I wasn't in the way of that." I was so embarassed and sickened. The thought of hurting someone with my gun is so dreadful that I can't even think about it. I once hunted with a group of guys I'd only recently met and can't tell you how many times I found their guns accidentally pointed at me. I tried to teach them but they failed to heed my instructions. I will never hunt with them again. Spearguns are firearms. Follow the rules of firearms safety. Don't ever, not even for a fraction of a second, allow your gun to be positioned such that it is ever pointed at another human. I do not have any land guns at this point in my life, but my rule for my house is simple: DO NOT EVER ALLOW THE MUZZLE OF ANY GUN TO BE POINTED AT ANOTHER HUMAN, IRRESPECTIVE OF WHETHER IT IS LOADED. In my household this extends even to a toy gun. I even look at squirtguns as a bad thing to be involved with. Teach yourself and your companions that anything that remotely resembles a gun should be forcefully comanded such that the business end of it never crosses the path of a human. Teach your companions these rules. I have been to meetings of spearfishing clubs and never once heard a lecture on speargun safety. In general people can be taught. It is better if they have traditional firearms experience. In that realm, safety is constantly stressed. If you instruct people who cannot seem to learn though; Do not hunt with them. Do not hunt with people who will not obey these hard and fast rules to the letter. Do not get on their boats, do not allow them on your boat.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT