• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hunting Technique

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I'm pretty well known here for my dislike of Euro guns, being a Alexander and Wong kinda guy, when I'm not using my own-built guns. But that day I jumped in with a setup that I put together for my son to learn with and just happened to look in the right kelproom. It's a 75cm Hammerhead with 2 9/16 bands, Tahitian flopper, and a hacked up Omer 50 reel and a 75' Neptonics floatline and Frog float from Kevin Sakuda.

For little stuff near the bottom or around structure, it'd be the ideal setup.

Re: Practice

Hi

I live in Centurion, and have been using the De Jongh dive centre in Muckleneuk, but that is only 5m. Would love to know where this 15m beauty is. I'm off on a trip to Sodwana with Craig @ Orca in May, think he still might have some space if anyone is interrested.

Cheers
Corneil

I must say, this is an invaluable thread. If nobody minds I think i'll go back through it and find all the juicy bits so I can pass them on to my spearo buddies.

iv got a few bodyboards layin around bout 5 or 6 so any one know what i should change so i can flag it and attach my float line i noticed them toward the start of this thread?

There are a couple of threads about converting body boards to floats and some of the examples are downright ingenious. Do an archive search and I think you will find all the advice you need.

I have been reading this thread and have found many of the posts useful and intriguing. Im a young man (18) but have been raised in the outdoors. I became the youngest professional hunter in Texas at the age of 12. I have guided hunters to over 50 record book animals including the #12 Axis deer in the world. I personally hold 5 record book tittles consisting of 3 species (Barasinga, Aoudad, Wildebeest). I have hunted in over 12 countries including Zimbabwe, Botswana, Spain. and no matter where I go or what I hunt the hunting still has the same bases, I started free dive spear fishing when I was 14, I stayed mainly in the bays spearing flounder and sheepshead. I didn’t move to off shore oil rigs tell I was 16. I have found, Like spearinhand that many of the same techniques can be taken from land hunting. Other than the points he listed in his post (pg. 6) like focuse and tenacity, I think that there are a few others that can be translated from both types of hunting.

1) get to know you surroundings:
more importantly get to know the natural functions of your surroundings, I cant stress enough the importance of knowing the natural state of the things around you. There have been many occasions when watching a bird veer off in the middle of landing has given me the heads up to an approaching animal I had yet to see. If a fish varies from its normal pattern it will always have a reason weather it be a rip tide or a predator. A universal example of this that many people have witnessed while diving is the schooling of bait fish. When you see the orbs of schooling fish you know that there is a predator in the close vicinity, its just another way to use the millions of eyes in nature to you advantage.

2) Adapting to your surroundings:
an example of this would be better put into hunting techniques. The use of your surroundings and the adaptations that make your job easier. For instance the most affective way to hunt in the mountains of Colorado is to find a bowl (open patch on the top or side of a forested mountain) set up and watch the known game trails in and out of the bowl. While the best way to hunt the mountains in Alaska is to stalk over large expanses of terrain looking for game and once spotted to stalk them tell you can get the shot you need. The same can once again be taken into the under water hunting world, if you know a species of fish hangs around a certain terrain then that’s where you should be, if you are hunting from the sea floor, use a wet suit that will mould into the surroundings you are hunting in.

3) Respect:
NEVER underestimate the power or will of your prey. I lost a friend who was a highly experience hunting guide in Africa last year to a buffalo that had been shot 12 times and left to lay for over half an hour, he was to confident and walked up to it unprepared and paid with his life, many of us hunt the deep waters and take large game fish that can easily hurt or even kill a man. Treat your game with respect and always keep a weary eye out for predators (a mistake I nearly paid for more than once).

And lastly to add to spearinhand’s post about putting your mind to a different station than your intentions. I have found this much to often to be true. To many times I have gone out with inexperience hunter’s and had them shoot world class animals to think it is truly “beginners luck”. The best way I find to get my mind off the aggressiveness of my actions is to concentrate more on the spotting of game or if that proves to mindless the judging of wild game, I have spent many hours combing the forests and trails for signs of approaching animals or fresh tracks to follow and in such a way have come much closer to the wild life I was in pursuit of.

Last edited:
Reactions: blaiz

3) Respect:
NEVER underestimate the power or will of your prey. I lost a friend who was a highly experience hunting guide in Africa last year to a buffalo that had been shot 12 times and left to lay for over half an hour, he was to confident and walked up to it unprepared and paid with his life, many of us hunt the deep waters and take large game fish that can easily hurt or even kill a man. Treat your game with respect and always keep a weary eye out for predators (a mistake I nearly paid for more than once).

Well said. Sorry to hear about your friend.

he was a good man... he didn’t die in vein. I think he was happy where he died. He would have rather gone out in the bush. just learn from his mistakes.

one left out teqnique is my favorite. dive bomb start at the surface or above the fish and dive on top of them, goten me alot of fish particularly bottom feeders

Hi all,

Been all around the site, and I really like what I see. One thing that is amiss though is hunting tips / technique etc. I've seen a couple of comments on how we're never too old to learn (something about dogs???)

So, here it is. A new Thread with hunting tips.

For a start I'm going to outline the different types of hunts. These are: surface hunt, ambush hunt, search hunt, cavities hunt, tide hunt and combined hunt. Which one to use depends on the actual physical condition of the hunter, the weather, the fish, and other factors.

If there's any interest in the finer details of the different types of hunts, I'll discuss it further. Otherwise I'll do what I should have done and go diving ......

Attached is a picture of a 'target' fish .... go figure this one out.
Orange: 98% chance it's gonna end up on your stringer
Purple: 80% chance it's gonna end up on your stringer
Green: 50% chance that you'll lose the fish - not a good area to shoot in as it turns very mushy when hit. IOW Spear Rips Out, No Fish.

Ciao !

Not too sure about the accuracy of the fish target area photo, I guess it just depends on the type of fish you spear. For me shooting certain types of sweetlips and goatfish in the orange 98% area i find the fish twist themselves around the spear really fast and tear off. Best holding shots from what i've seen.... Generalizing here... is mid body or through the gill plate. And depending on the fish, through the rib cage and vital organs can be a good holding shot and greatly reduce the length of time a big fish would run for. This too is not a one size fits all rule either.

Great thread, especially the first few pages & lots of db members from the past, in fact this thread is 9 years old!

Reactions: spaghetti
14542_181048521506_659771506_3400298_5327035_n.jpg

Not too sure about the accuracy of the fish target area photo.

And you are absolutely right. The SASpearo's intitial posts were in fact taken and adapted from another site and were initially written by me. However they were aimed to assist beginner Black Sea hunters. The 'target' photo is a mullet which is a prime target for our waters. That's why I chose it to illustrate the target areas.

Cheers,

Ivan

Hi guys. I will go next week to cyprus. anyone knows about how to get license for a turist. I have been in greece for a few times and nobody ask for a license a turist.

Thanks.

Not sure if you guys have seen this or if has indeed already been posted on this thread but here's the accuracy (or just a bloody good spearo) of a rob allen gun.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUka-5qYFus]YouTube - Spearfishing Rob Allen Accuracy[/ame]

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT