• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

I saw this fish...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
It seems like we always err too far one way or the other. Either we cut it all, or we don't cut enough of the forest and it gets unhealthy and disease-ridden. Hopefully things will even out eventually.

Tidbits I caught while fishing the net:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061221/ap_on_sc/australia_reef_savior_5

Study: Batfish protect reef in Australia

By MICHAEL CASEY, Associated Press Writer Wed Dec 20, 11:13 PM ET

BANGKOK, Thailand - When it comes to protecting Australia's Great Barrier Reef, it is hard to beat the batfish. A study by researchers at the Australian Research Council Center of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies found that the rare pancake-like white fish with brown stripes was the only one of 27 species that successfully removed the forest of algae that can otherwise overwhelm and kill off the reef.

The study, which appeared in this week's edition of the journal Current Biology, not only raised the profile of the largely overlooked batfish but also showed the importance of protecting key algae-eating fish on reefs across the Pacific that are subject to overfishing, researchers said Wednesday.

"We were stunned because we expected the parrotfish or some other fishes to be feeding on the algae,"

Another unusual aquatic animal:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/12/061220143932.htm

Contrary To Common Wisdom, Scientist Discovers Some Mammals Can Smell Objects Under Water

Science Daily — For some time, Kenneth Catania had noticed that the star-nosed moles he studies blow a lot of bubbles as they swim around underwater. But it wasn't until recently that he really paid attention to this behavior and, when he did, he discovered that the moles were blowing bubbles in order to smell underwater objects.

"This came as a total surprise because the common wisdom is that mammals can't smell underwater,' says the assistant professor of biology. "When mammals adapt to living in water, their sense of smell usually degenerates. The primary example of this are the cetaceans — whales and dolphins — many of which have lost their sense of smell."

Catania, who earlier this year won a $500,000 "genius grant" from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, devised a series of experiments to determine whether the star-nosed mole and another small, semi-aquatic mammal, the water shrew, can smell objects underwater and used a high-speed camera to discover how they do it. The results are reported in the Dec. 21, 2006 issue of the science journal Nature.

One of the first things the researcher noticed was that the moles were blowing bubbles out of their nostrils and then sucking them right back in. "They often lose part of the bubbles, but most of the air goes right back into their nose," he says. Catania also determined that the moles were exhaling and inhaling these bubbles rapidly, between five and 10 times per second. That is about the same rate as the sniffing behavior of comparably sized land mammals, like rats and mice. "Rats and mice don't sniff the way we do," he says. "They push air 'out-in out-in' in a fashion strikingly similar to what the star-nosed mole is doing, except that it is doing it under water!"

Global effects: Tides & Slides, floods & muds
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061220/sc_nm/antarctica_ice_dc_1

Tides affect speed of Antarctic ice slide
By Alister Doyle, Environment Correspondent Wed Dec 20, 1:04 PM ET
OSLO (Reuters) - Tides affect the speed at which an Antarctic ice sheet bigger than the Netherlands is sliding toward the sea, adding a surprise piece to a puzzle about ocean levels and global warming, a study showed on Wednesday. The Rutford Ice Stream of western Antarctica slips about a meter (3 ft) a day toward the sea but the rate varies 20 percent in tandem with two-week tidal cycles, it said. And the effect is felt even on ice more than 40 km (25 miles) inland. "We've known that (twice-daily) tides affect the motion of ice streams but we didn't know it happened on this two-weekly time scale,"

Floods & mudslides in Malaysia
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061221/sc_afp/malaysiaweatherfloods_061221144451

They've done a lot of cutting there, so no surprise the monsoon floods will get worse before they get better.

DDeden

wet said:
Study: Batfish protect reef in Australia

By MICHAEL CASEY, Associated Press Writer Wed Dec 20, 11:13 PM ET

BANGKOK, Thailand - When it comes to protecting Australia's Great Barrier Reef, it is hard to beat the batfish. A study by researchers at the Australian Research Council Center of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies found that the rare pancake-like white fish with brown stripes was the only one of 27 species that successfully removed the forest of algae that can otherwise overwhelm and kill off the reef.
I have seen small batfish for sale. The juveniles are very different from the adults, with very long fins. I don't know what people do with them when they become adults, as they are large and not very colourful. Far better to leave them on the reef where they belong.

One species of juvenile batfish looks like a nudibranch, for defence against predators.
The batfish...
http://www.muc.de/~hartmann/images/Indonesien/4.Lembeh/Wasser/Juvenil Batfish.jpg
And the nudibranch...
http://www.seascapesimages.com/subject/nudis/flat1.jpg

I can't tell which end of the juv. is the head.
Does the batfish juv. lay on it's side like a flatfish or a sole? The nudi looks kind of flat.

I just saw an odd pair at this link:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/12/061206095317.htm

Beware spearos, the groupers and morays are buddying up, you'all make sure to do the same!

DDeden

Last edited:
The head is facing to the right, into the cave, and the tail is to the left, with an orange edge. This is a better picture...
http://www.enchantedsea.com/gallery27.htm

I didn't know that groupers and morays buddy up! Many animals will follow large predators around in the hope of getting some scraps, but it seems that they are cooperating with each other. They are telling us to always dive with a buddy! :)

Some pics of plecos and catfish resting in odd positions...
http://www.plecofanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25182&page=2
[ame="http://www.plecofanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=243117"]Nite time sleep time... - PlecoFanatics.com[/ame]

Last edited:
Nice pics, I like the one that got "knocked out by falling driftwood". ;)

I hope to see a pic of a moray and grouper tag team. Did you see the video at the PLoS website? My wimpy computer couldn't process it, so I didn't view it.

Are catfish members of pleco family or vice versa, or aren't they closely related?

DDeden

We should have a fish picture caption contest. ;)

There is a video of the grouper and moray here. It doesn't show them hunting, just the clicking sound that the grouper makes to call the moray.

Plecos are members of the catfish family. They are one of the largest groups of catfish, with 450 species!

The Corydoras are also a large group, with over 180 species. They are another of my favourite fish.
http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Catfish, Corydoras.htm

Some loaches, corys and brochis (loaches are not catfish, but another fish I like)...

Attachments

• golden weather loaches.JPG
    golden weather loaches.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 99
  • corys 2.JPG
    corys 2.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 103
  • prestopets brochis.JPG
    prestopets brochis.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Reactions: BatRay
Nice video, only too short, I didn't even see the moray until the second view...Can you hear the grouper clicking? I got no soundcard here.

Are loaches eels, or just resemble them? They look very smooth, are they tropical coral reef fish?

DDeden

You can hear the grouper clicking. I don't know how it does that.

Loaches are not eels, they are more related to the carp family. They don't have scales, which is why they are smooth. That is also why they need very clean water, because their skin is delicate. Their favourite activity is burrowing in sand and gravel. They are all freshwater fish, some are tropical and some are coldwater. Some are even native to the UK and Europe. They are another fish that can breathe air. (And also very good at escaping from their tank. Anything that looks like an eel is likely to 'go walkabout')

My admiration for fish has increased - yesterday I measured the temperature of the water my goldfish lives in, and it was 3C. It is still moving around, not very active and not eating, but it can move quite fast and is in good health. I don't understand how any animal can still be moving around with a body temperature just above freezing. :confused:

Goldfish are one of the most hardy fish, they can survive a very wide range of temperatures and water chemistry. The only one that I have seen to be more hardy is the tench. It has a very high tolerance for hypoxia and will gather in warm shallow water to bask in the sun. The main reason that it is not commonly kept as a pond or aquarium fish is that it is not very active. It has probably discovered the same as we have - that the best way to use less O2 is to sit around doing nothing!

Lucia

:inlove Ohhh, I love dojo loaches! They're so full of personality. I've had several over the years, including my present spotted one, Lojo. I'm hoping to get a 40 gallon aquarium soon, so I can get more, and they can participate in the much-loved loach pile.

Those are lovely golden dojos in your pic :)

Last edited:
Reactions: naiad
I've often wondered how fish can survive under the ice and snow of northern lakes for so long, with so little sunlight and relatively low oxygen in the water. I guess some sort of fish hibernation.

Reptiles make more sense to me, since they lay in the sun to get warmed up, and birds and mammals have good fluffy or blubbery insulation to conserve body heat, but fish just depend on their food for energy and I guess a low metabolism, with efficient conservation of O2 and calories.

A loach pile sounds like fun, do they stack up like a wood pile while sleeping?

DDeden

Yes, they pile on each other every which way. They seem to enjoy one another's company. There's nothing like a bunch of dojo loaches :) they're so entertaining. You do have to be careful, because they like to jump out of their tanks. My dad had a large spotted dojo named Herman who used to jump out and get sucked up by the vacuum cleaner. They'd free him and toss him back into the tank, no harm done.

That sounds like an adventurous fish. Did it only jump while people were around? I'm thinking of the poor thing stuck on the floor all night, might be a little uncomfortable, even for an air breather.

Anybody got an octopus in a tank? I heard they like to escape too.

DDeden

I had a weather loach, a beautiful 20cm one, one of my favourite fish. It jumped out of its tank, and was still alive when I put it back in the water, but its skin was damaged and it died after a few hours. :( (That was back in the days when there wasn't enough info around on how to keep fish properly, if I have more I will be careful!)

I'm glad that Herman survived his vacuum-cleaner adventures! I am also curious to know if it only jumped when someone was vacuum-cleaning. :confused:

A loach is a bit like a vacuum-cleaner, they suck up food from among the sand or gravel.

I didn't know they were sociable, now I want lots of them! I want to see a loach pile. :D

Yes, they seem to prefer to be in groups of three or more. They sometimes have issues if there are only two. The loach pile can be all of them in close proximity, but it's often the fish piled onto each other like jackstraws.

Herman tended to jump out at various times. One interesting thing about dojo/weather loaches is that they tend to be very lazy most of the time, but then they have periods of manic activity. That's when they end up jumping out in their exuberance. They would discover Herman when vacuuming, but he had probably jumped out sometime before. They are able to survive out of water for up to three days if they land on carpeting. They secrete a thick mucus that keeps their skin moist until someone comes to the rescue.

I had one that jumped out some years back. I thought it was dead, but I touched it and it writhed around. I placed it in a bowl of water, and it started to thrash, so I dumped it into the aquarium, where its buddies proceeded to help clean off the dirt and lint that was clinging to it. Interesting fish, those :)

Herman tended to jump out at various times. One interesting thing about dojo/weather loaches is that they tend to be very lazy most of the time, but then they have periods of manic activity. That's when they end up jumping out in their exuberance.
It could be due to changes in atmospheric pressure. That is why they are called weather loaches, because they become active when the atmospheric pressure is low, which is usually before rain or stormy weather. It makes sense that they would be more likely to leave the water when the surroundings are likely to be wet and there are fewer predators around.

Maybe they need their friends to help clean them when they are put back in the water. :)

I think there are several species which are called dojo or weather loaches. The ones which are on sale now are Misgurnus anguillicaudatus, from SE Asia. The one I had was Misgurnus fossilis, from the UK and Europe. Maybe they vary in their ability to survive out of water.
Weather Loach (Misgurnis anguillicaudatus) — Loaches Online

A few years ago weather loaches were being sold locally & being advertised as suitable for out door fish ponds! In fact, although nobody who stocked the little fish ever saw them, they survived very well. On one occasion I can recall emptying a customers pond while trying to find a leak, we came across 60+ loaches, real big ones too. All these fish had multiplied from four original fish stocked five years previously.

Those loaches sound interesting, jumping when the weather changes. I just thought fish jumped to get flying insects or evade predators.

Are loaches related to catfish or African lungfish or amphibians?
The skin secretions seem to resemble like frogs and salamanders, especially if they can last more than a day out of water.

DDeden

Loaches are not related to African lungfish or amphibians. They are distantly related to catfish and the carp family. Like some kinds of catfish, they breathe air by swallowing air and absorbing O2 in their gut. I don't know about the skin secretions, but probably they are similar to lungfish and amphibians.

I didn't know they can breed in ponds. They probably survive better than many other pond fish, because they avoid predators by staying out of sight.

I read an article that said these fish fart audibly :D How very funny. They are either sedentary or very active, even when the barometric pressure is stable. It's just more extreme when the weather is changing. I think it's because it's so unusual for a fish to lounge around, then go on a rampage that they seem so manic. Sometimes they seem to jump for the sheer joy of it, or when taking a mouthful of air with great enthusiasm.

I might be able to get a 40-gallon aquarium soon. That would allow me to get friends for my dojo, Lojo. I'm looking forward to it!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT