• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Illinois Laws and Lake Michigan...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ILDiver

I just wanna dive
Jul 11, 2005
There was some discussion about spearing in Lake Michigan and if it was legal in Illinois. I pasted the regs below for it and for Lake Milliken as well. You will see Milliken is marked 2 Pole and line fishing only. L. Michigan is not.

Lake Michigan (Illinois Portion), State of Illinois (Lake/Cook Counties)
Trout and Salmon. . . . . . . . . . . . 10” Minimum Length Limit
Trout and Salmon. . . . . . . . . . . . 5 Fish (singly or collectively) Daily
Creel Limit; except for Lake Trout
Lake Trout . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 Fish Daily Creel Limit
Yellow Perch. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15 Fish Daily Creel Limit
Yellow Perch. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Closed Season During July
(exception: 10 fish daily limit during July for youth under age 16)
*New Yellow Perch regulations are being considered. Please
check status prior to fishing by calling (847)294-4134.
Large or Smallmouth Bass. . . . . 21” Minimum Length Limit
Large or Smallmouth Bass (14) . 1 Fish Daily Creel Limit

Lake Milliken, Des Plaines Conservation Area (Will County)
All Fish . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2 Pole and Line Fishing Only (1)
Channel Catfish . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6 Fish Daily Creel Limit
Large or Smallmouth Bass. . . . . 15” Minimum Length Limit
Trout . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Spring Closed Season (11)

So , spearfishing is allowed or not?
:friday or :naughty

edit:
From IL fishing digest:

"SPEARING/BOW AND ARROW FISHING
Carp, carpsuckers, buffalo, sucker, gar
(except alligator gar), and bowfin may be
taken with spear or gig, pitchfork, underwater
spear gun, bow and arrow or archery device.
Spearing/bow and arrow fishing is not permitted
in waters listed in Site Specific
Regulations as “2 Pole and Line Fishing Only”
(except as listed by notation)."
:martial :friday :)

link to Fishing digest.pdf

Last edited:
According to the regs, it IS LEGAL to spearfish in Lake Michigan in Illinois.

The other lake is an example of a lake that is not legal (because of the bolded portion)

what can you shoot in illinois? In WI it's Panfish and Roughfish with Perch in Lake Mich being a limit of 5. I'm sure it's different for Illinois.

SPEARING/BOW AND ARROW FISHING
Carp, carpsuckers, buffalo, sucker, gar
(except alligator gar), and bowfin may be
taken with spear or gig, pitchfork, underwater
spear gun, bow and arrow or archery device.
Spearing/bow and arrow fishing is not permitted
in waters listed in Site Specific
Regulations as “2 Pole and Line Fishing Only”
(except as listed by notation).

I have written to the DNR and the Gov. about the restriction on spearfishing. The state reps do not have posted e-mails so I would have to call.

I sent an e-mail off a few weeks back. I got a letter in the mail yesterday. I'll have to re-read the letter, but in general he writes about how it would be to unsafe and cause too much controversy to allow spearfishing. That it would require swimming in places not marked for swimming and it would require the use of an illegal weapon.

This letter causes a flash of rage. PEOPLE ARE STUPID. I hate Illinois and I want out as soon as I can. I'm stuck here for about 2 more years unless the right situation comes along. Makes me sick.

I hate how the Gov of this state feels they need to protect people from themselves. My wife does not want to leave because her mom is here. She can stay if she wants, I can't stand it.

This is the guy that sent the letter: http://dnr.state.il.us/offices/director.htm
Sam Flood
Sam-Flood-web.jpg

I want to fight this, but it's pathetic that it has to be a fight.

Last edited:
That was Dotey's reason for moving to WI- so he could Spearfish Freely. (The signature cracks me up by the way) :D

If I could pack up right now and go I would. I've casually looked at moving for several years. Right now is not a good time to be changing jobs.

I hate Illinois and I want out as soon as I can. I'm stuck here for about 2 more years unless the right situation comes along. Makes me sick.

Musta been that last bears game... rofl The grass is greener on the otherside ya know. Ha ha. But seriously I cant imagine not being able to wake up and go diving, all the time. Im sorry.

Chris , The Gov is there to keep you cozy and warm.
By the way,spearfishing is not allowed in Cuba too.roflrofl

Musta been that last bears game... rofl

I'm not a Bears fan, Cowboys. Not a Blackhawks fan either, St Louis Blues. Baseball, why do they have that sport?? :D

I have to scan that letter and post it. Reading it, it comes of so ignorant to me.

I love Marion Barber III. I said he would be the best running back out of that class, and he was. Hes still underrated.

A scan of the letter

Attachments

• dnr_letter.jpg
    dnr_letter.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 220
ILLINOIS has to be the dumbest State in this country- WOW. Move, move now. That is probably also why there is almost no public hunting in IL. I'm surprised you guys can still drive cars- cause that can be a safety issue to the public.

I'm surprised you guys can still drive cars- cause that can be a safety issue to the public.

Have you ever driven in Chicago? That is a safety issue!rofl

Jon

I'm surprised you guys can still drive cars- cause that can be a safety issue to the public.

Actually it is not very different no matter where in US.
Can you guys drive without seat belt?
Are you gonna hurt somebody if you drive without it?
What about helmets?
You are just happy for now for spearfishing but you never know what they next law will be.

Have you ever driven in Chicago? That is a safety issue!rofl

Jon

Jon you have to try driving in Bulgaria.
Chicago is like a kid playground.
I'm not kidding.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT