• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Inflatable Spearo floats like this... (Sporasub/Picasso/Merou/Plancetta)?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
Hi, although I recently patched up my 10 year old torpedo-style float, it is time look for something new. I did look into this previously sometime ago (https://forums.deeperblue.com/threa...float-designs-inflatable-boogie-boards.87020/) and as a result of that I have come up with some preferences & criteria.

Essentially I want:

1. An inflatable float that...
2. can be folded/rolled up small enough to fit into a small swim bag with mask, snorkel, knife, float-line, torch.
3. Reasonably affordable but willing to pay more for stronger, tougher construction.

[The above already rule out most of the mini-boat/RIB style floats]

4. Storage: The ability to stow: torch, fish stringer, crab bag, a small bottle of water and a cell phone in a dry pouch.

5. A large, clear Blue & White "Alpha"/"signal-A" international diving flag. Understandably, folk here don't recognise the USA-specific red & white "diver down"-flag (that I have on my current float) well enough for it to used instead.
Diver-flags-Bimini-Sands.jpg

6. Robust construction. Bonus points for tough material, beefy tie-in points and double air-chamber/bladder + cover construction.

7. Big & easy to see. Ideally about 1m long and sitting quite high, with a decent length flag mast, flying a decent size flag (ideally held open with a metal wire or similar).

Last edited:
For that earlier thread, I already have some preferences but I can only find a seller for one of the designs. Here are my preference (if you know where I can get them or have alternative - please let me know):

#1 Picasso Float Board (a.k.a. "Bouée planche Picasso FLOAT3")- I don't often put Picasso #1 but I like their tough-looking floats. Unfortunately his appears to be an old model :( as I can't find anybody selling this currently (if you know anywhere please let me know). I think this is my favourite float so far, although the flag mast is too short. Last time I looked for a float, I almost bought a board-style float by Imersion but they had just stopped selling it! :(
picassofloat-jpg.28850

I like what appears to be heavy duty construction, 2 bladders+ cover construction, the fairly large storage area on top and the combination of bungee straps & a decent size bag for stuff. The flag pole is clearly too short & can be obscured by the bag.
picassofloatman-jpg.28851

boya_float_board_picasso.jpg

f2e99c1d-6964-42e3-b315-a7399d5b8111.jpg

Perhaps too expensive? (Eventually found a French language site ~£94; a USA store ~£84 and an Australian store ~£68 inc. tax). I think Picasso are Spanish aren't they (/wasn't he)? If the Ozzies can sell if for £68, surely there is somewhere cheaper closer to home with these?
Update: just found an EU seller selling them for 61.50 euro/£47.

Last edited:
#2 The Sporasub Patriot float - looks pretty much there. Wrong flag tho'

patriot01.jpg

And the video below shows it is not as tough as it appears and could be. But I like the generally tough appearance with the full length end-to-end webbing strap. Two-bladder + cover construction :)
patriot02.jpg

Bonus: it comes with an 8m bungee (an odd length - 10m -15m would have been much more useful for use as a float-line but I guess could always add a piece of regular float line to extend it).
patriot04.jpg

I actually found a seller for this float and the price seems reasonable @ £33 with so many features & the construction used. So this might be the one I end up buying.

I have some concerns about the tear experienced by this user - it need never have happened if they had used as tough material on the more vulnerable bottom as they have on the top - although you have to wonder how he managed to get a side ring to tear.

Looks like a good size float on the video - I was concerned that this might be a tad short - but is that a wide-angle/fish-eye lens exaggerating the length?! I think it is :(

Last edited:
#3. The Merou Plancetta - just can't seem to find these for sale. I think this is looking a little more dated/crude/round compared to the 2 floats above but I like that tough, simple look. Wrong flag again tho' :(
nx9lhi.jpg

I would likely change those bungees to one of those motorbike/kayak elastic nets (I have a couple around somewhere).
images
PlancettaMerou.jpg~c200

Plancetta.JPG

BTW I think this might be the replacement (?) for my favourite float above, the Picasso.
The Picasso Hydro Float:
HydroDownCombi.jpg

It is "in the ball park" but just doesn't quite "float my boat" unfortunately :^/ Good flag and decent construction tho'. Insufficient storage perhaps?

Last edited:
Another "honorable mention" goes to novel new Omer Dry Bag float -- I really think they might be onto something here but...
floatdrybag01.jpg

floatdrybag02.jpg

...but, again, it doesn't quite do it for me. I need to be able to store stuff that I can access in the water too. Pity it has many good feature, including double bladder and the correct flag (in the bottom picture anyway :D).
floatdrybag03.jpg

Another that does quite do it for me for some reason, the Best Hunter. The side-view looks promising but not the top view:
P6790810G2.jpg
P6790810G.jpg
Wrong flag :(

Last edited:
Hi
Have you considered Best Hunter Flat Double Bladder Buoy Oasi, I never seen it in real life, cant give you feedback, but pictures it look good. Slightly smaller(80x30 not 80x40) and newer model of your last choice. 44 quid in scubastore
best-hunter-flat-double-bladder-buoy-oasi.jpg

Obviously folk have different preferences, needs, etc. but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts/experiences on any of the above floats and anything similar. Have I overlooked something? Placed too much emphasis on something? Perhaps my criteria don't make sense to you? Also if you know a UK/EU/Channel Islands supplier of the Picasso/Merou floats, please let me know.

Mr X, you mentioned that the last time you were looking for a float you almost got an immersion but they stopped selling them......... they still do a smaller version which seems to fit your criteria, minus the size if you feel that's something you can compromise on. Scubaland stock them at a very reasonable price ;)

Scubastore are selling the Picasso Hydro float for £33, looks like a good float to me, narrower than your previous one for sure but less drag maybe? Every cloud and all that :D also if the US diver down flag is putting you off a decent float, you could always get an Alpha flag from a chandlery and replace it. I think that its important to know what you will or will not be using the float for when choosing one, all will act as a float but obviously not all can be used as a floatation device like the Picasso float board you posted first. The first major thing would be, are you going to use your float specifically for this purpose, if so there may be better options available, if not a smaller float may be more useful. Some products are very good at their intended purpose whilst other things are jack of all trades, master of none. Just a thought! ;)

Thanks Pinniped72 - good points all.

I do not plan to use the float as a personal flotation device (as shown in one of the pics above) - I don't see the point, if you don't keep your face in the water you will miss fish/crabs/lobsters/scallops/etc. If that were a concern I would likely have opted for one of the numerous boat-like floats. Actually one of them (BestHunter maybe?) has a clear window in the bow floor, so with that one you can at least see something of what is going on below. The boat-like floats are too big & bulky for the often quite long walk-ins I do and they are rather expensive, although I came across this one for £55, the Seac Sub Sea Mate Float Board: http://www.spearfishingstore.co.uk/seac-sub-seamate-float-board.html . Cost is a factor, not least because you may lose or shred spearing gear from time-to-time.
SeaMate2.jpg

The attraction of the Picasso float (below) for me is probably generous & useful/usable carrying capacity, perhaps more than necessary though:
dc6da318-eeaa-47a0-8033-0b412bafee92.jpg

It would be easy to stick a crab bag or two, fish stringer & crab-hook under the bungee. In the bag: a torch, water bottle, perhaps phone, energy bar, spare knife.

One thing I forgot to mention above, I could continue to use my old, cheap, simple torpedo float when I want/need to travel really light.

Reactions: Pinniped72
Scubastore are selling the Picasso Hydro float for £33, looks like a good float to me, narrower than your previous one for sure but less drag maybe? Every cloud and all that :D also if the US diver down flag is putting you off a decent float, you could always get an Alpha flag from a chandlery and replace it. I think that its important to know what you will or will not be using the float for when choosing one, all will act as a float but obviously not all can be used as a floatation device like the Picasso float board you posted first. The first major thing would be, are you going to use your float specifically for this purpose, if so there may be better options available, if not a smaller float may be more useful. Some products are very good at their intended purpose whilst other things are jack of all trades, master of none. Just a thought! ;)
Yes, I've been thinking on this and I am inclined to agree, the Picasso Hydro float ticks most - perhaps all - of the boxes. Adding a small dry-bag (<=2 litre? hi-viz color) or plastic box - perhaps under the bungees or velcro'd on like on the big Picassso float- might add the required additional storage capacity. That probably becomes my new #1 choice now. Right flag too :)
e0320a84-b69f-400c-a510-4335aec45441.jpg
1.5L-Yellow-Drybag-1.160x320.jpg
$_12.JPG

I've ruled out my #1 choice the big Picasso float board as:
1. Lack of availability:
a. No convenient supplier.
b. One on-line Picasso reseller said they don't have it and cannot get it, as it is no longer available :(
2. Perhaps a bit too big & bulky. Drag? Kite?!
3. The sides & dry bag are black -- bad design choice -- these floats need to be very easy to see. That's a fail on requirement #7 :( A hi-viz color like "International emergency orange", lime or bright yellow would be better.

I'm going off my#2 choice, the Sporasub Patriot float:
It fails on quality of construction & robustness [see video above]. Also the pouch that opens at both ends strikes me as inherently insecure. Pity, the pop-up pouch idea is good and it also increases the overall visibility of the float; the supplemental dive flags printed on the pouch sides are also a nice touch (wrong flag tho'! :( )

Last edited:
I recently added more lead to my current float as it is prone to roll to its side if there is much wind, hiding the dive flag. It occurred to me today that perhaps it would be good to have a little storage under the float to help act as supplemental ballast, specifically storage for a torch (and/or water bottle) underneath - perhaps in a protective box/padded pouch.

I suppose you could strap a spare speargun underneath too but you'd risk trashing it. And it would likely add significant drag & act as a snag hazard. A crab-hook strapped underneath would likely have similar drawbacks.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more, robustness of build is the number one requirement ;) With regard ballast under the float, I rigged up a float from two boat fenders once and because it was as wide as it was long I didn't think that it would flip, but it did instantly, I had an Alpha flag on some threaded rod that was bolted to one of the fender eyes, it was as stable as a fully laden Mary Rose!! I popped my torch and beach shoes in my catch net and hung it from the bottom acting as both ballast and wannabe drogue, it worked like a dream. :D I have looked at the Picasso Hydro again and the more I look at it the more I like it, clean lines, functional and looks pretty sturdy ;)

Just came across a couple of really nice floats of this type on a USA website - SpearAmerica.com - by a company called Gannet:
http://www.spearamerica.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?mode=list&p=1&q=float
http://gannetdive.com/collections/floats
Very expensive though :( And I don't think the first one is inflatible, the second one is though.
gannet-coastal-float-2.jpg

I like the (glued on?) net pouch/folder storage, very tidy & professional looking. Salt can really lock-up zips though (trashed one rod bag because of that & just fixed another one).

Surprisingly, the one below is inflatable:
gannet-blue-water-float.jpg

Nice big size but it is an expensive bluewater float, intended to be inflated to 29psi):
gannet-blue-water-float-2.jpg

And a more realistic option at U$56 from XDive:
65005.jpg

Yellow with red-stripe - what the heck is that all about?! Wrong flag! :D

Last edited:
Hi Ritvars, I somehow missed your post yesterday. Yes, I like the look of the Best Hunter float better than the wider one in my post above it. I like the pocket underneath, the clips (although they can be fiddly with cold hands) & the generally robust looking construction but not sure about the see-through mesh material on the bottom - I guess it would let any water out (& in)! Perhaps the mesh is very tough - much tougher than the base of the Sporasub Patriot? Quite similar to the Sporasub Patriot float if you look closely (e.g. general design & details like the pouch with 2 velcro ends, thick webbing end-to-end), so I guess I might have similar concerns/reservation about this one - also it is significantly more expensive that the Sporasub (£10/30%) and yet does not include the 8m bungee (which actually sell for about £14 separately!) that is included with the Sporasub.

Worth reading: http://swissspearo.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/review-best-hunter-okipa-ii-float.html
A review of a boat-like/RIB-like float. Although the reviewer likes it, he mentioned some additional drawbacks that had not occurred to me and confirmed some that I already suspected. He doesn't like this style of flat float that I am interested in but perhaps it did not occur to him that he would need to add some lead ballast to keep the one he tried upright, especially when loading up the top.

Well I ordered the Picasso Hydro yesterday, so we'll see how that goes.
images_4.jpg

I was tidying my spearfishing gear yesterday and came across various net bags that I have amassed over the years. I think some of these might prove useful with the float, perhaps more than a dry bag would.

Unlike some floats (e.g. the BestHunter, below), the Picasso Hydro (above) doesn't have a ballast pocket underneath so not sure how I will ballast it yet. Perhaps I underestimated the Best Hunter floats Ritvar?! The side handle [see below] seems more practical than the end handle on the Picasso [see above] too.

I suppose I could place/glue a flat, rectangular lead weight (e.g. like those used in some weight vests or a piece of sheet lead with all the corners & edges rounded) between the shell & the bladder? And/or I could strap a crab hook on one of the speargun mounts. Somebody on youtube ballasted their marker buoy with a plastic water pipe stuffed with big round lead fishing weights.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT