• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Inflatable Spearo floats like this... (Sporasub/Picasso/Merou/Plancetta)?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
In the past I have placed a weight (1Kg dumbbell weight) between the bladder and the cover and it worked fine. My boat fender float has a threaded rod bolted through the eye of the fender, with an Alpha flag on one end and a disc weight with a hole in the middle that I picked up from a chandlery on the other end. You could also hang a fishing weight (boat!) from the underside of the float, that works well as well! :D Ballast is essential (in my opinion), there is nothing more annoying than an unstable float (first world problems and all that:D) and all of the above ideas have worked well enough. I will be getting a new float this year but I am not really sure were my mind is going with it at the moment, so for now I am stuck with the boat fender. Mr X, I will be interested how you get on with the Hydro ;)

Well my order from Scubastore.com/DiveInn finally arrived today from Spain after 18 days (a similar order placed with PlanetDive in Italy on the same day already arrived almost 2 weeks earlier!); I am loath to pay for faster shipping but from this seller it is probably worth considering (which would bring the shipping cost in-line with their competitor, Planet Dive). Pity I couldn't find a UK supplier. Disappointingly the order was not quite complete, I ordered & paid for a set of 6 s/steel key-rings but only received 1.

So what's the float like in real life? Initial impression is generally very good. However 2 down marks for:

1. Guess which flag they shipped it with (from Europe to Europe)? The International/European blue & white alpha-flag, nope, a USA-specific red diver down flag :(

2. Just 1 large single compartment bladder :( Not the end of the world but some of the others use 2 chambers, so that if one goes down you have some back-up buoyancy, which might be important in a competition or around boats.

The handle at the end looks good and could be used to sling the float over your shoulder but not terribly useful otherwise because the float would drag along the ground :( Best Hunter's side handle strikes me as more practical design, although I suppose it would add drag in the water. No points gained or lost for this.

Otherwise looks to be a good size, design & build construction/quality - 3 up marks! Not overly keen on the elastic speargun holders as it will perish quite quickly in the salt & sun but (a) I probably won't use them and (b) thankfully they didn't sew the elastic in place, so it can be replaced :). 1 up mark for that.
(The short, wide elastic loops used to hold the flag are another matter but they seem very tight currently, so perhaps perishing won't stop them working?)

Thankfully, there are a couple of extra plastic D-loops underneath which are not visible in the photos above. One could be used for a fish-stringer and the other, perhaps, for ballast? The bungeed cargo area looks like it should be useful for things like torch, crab bag, etc. Up ticks for those. :) Overall, quite pleased so far. Although, of course, "the proof of the pudding is in the eating".

Almost forgot, it comes with some orange paracord with a black plastic clip at each end (DiveInn sell similar plastic clips for a £1 each!). Pretty useless as a float-line but paracord comes in useful for other things and the black clips might be handy for the belt stringer (as a clip that could potentially be forced open in an emergency). The 8m bungee that comes with the Omer float looks much more interesting & valuable but a 10m bungee would have made it so much better - spoiling the ship for a ha'peth of tar - but I guess you could use rope to extend it to any length and it stretches!

For that earlier thread, I already have some preferences but I can only find a seller for one of the designs. Here are my preference (if you know where I can get them or have alternative - please let me know):

#1 Picasso Float Board (a.k.a. "Bouée planche Picasso FLOAT3")- I don't often put Picasso #1 but I like their tough-looking floats. Unfortunately his appears to be an old model :( as I can't find anybody selling this currently (if you know anywhere please let me know). I think this is my favourite float so far, although the flag mast is too short. Last time I looked for a float, I almost bought a board-style float by Imersion but they had just stopped selling it! :(
picassofloat-jpg.28850

I like what appears to be heavy duty construction, 2 bladders+ cover construction, the fairly large storage area on top and the combination of bungee straps & a decent size bag for stuff. The flag pole is clearly too short & can be obscured by the bag.
picassofloatman-jpg.28851

boya_float_board_picasso.jpg

f2e99c1d-6964-42e3-b315-a7399d5b8111.jpg

Perhaps too expensive? (Eventually found a French language site ~£94; a USA store ~£84 and an Australian store ~£68 inc. tax). I think Picasso are Spanish aren't they (/wasn't he)? If the Ozzies can sell if for £68, surely there is somewhere cheaper closer to home with these?
Update: just found an EU seller selling them for 61.50 euro/£47.
I got this float last year from a Picasso rep, I think they've stopped making them... Storage wise it's perfect, it's got gun straps both sides, removable dry bag and bungee mesh on top. I found due to its shape it was a bit of a lump to drag when choppy/windy but I've now mounted it on a slick bottom body board and put a length of bungee between float and float line which has worked out really well! It now tows a lot smoother, slides over rocks and is sturdier and faster for swimming on! I replaced the flag pole for a longer one. Also the plastic tubing on the side handles is perfect for holding my stringer needle! It's only got one bladder by the way!

Reactions: Mr. X
I have been using this float for a while. First of all, H.Dessault Double Blade Float Bmax is identical, but way cheaper and Scubastore ships that one to the USA (unlike the Picasso one - had to order it from Greece). Now - to my experience:
It is very sturdy and has a lot of hookups. However I replaced everything I could with stainless - do not trust plastic. The rubber bands are not that inspiring either - I will replace them with a round rubber cord later on. My biggest issue is the flag - it is plastic and was torn pretty fast. The rubber loop it attaches too is too loose - you might lose the flag altogether. So I made my own alpha flag out of the nylon state of Texas flag ( :) ) and hooked it up to a PVC pipe of a proper diameter from a hardware store. Now the flag looks like a real deal. But I still need to modify that bottom loop in order not to lose the flag. Also make sure not to overload it at the bottom as the stitching that holds the black tape to the red shell will come apart. The way I see it the rubber cord has to run around the shell to distribute the load evenly - I am thinking how to achieve that.

Usually I have a water bottle, a stringer and sometimes a weight attached to that float. Overall it is a decent float, strong and modifiable - I modify everything I buy... Netting on top is also very useful.

I have been using this float for a while. First of all, H.Dessault Double Blade Float Bmax is identical, but way cheaper and Scubastore ships that one to the USA (unlike the Picasso one - had to order it from Greece).
Pity you hadn't posted sooner - because the Dessault version on Scubastore clearly has the correct International blue & white alpha flag, unlike the Picasso version sold by Scubastore:
H.dessault Double Blade Float Bmax

In the UK the price of the Picasso is only 50p more (~$1) but the cost of the replacement flag is £2, so a saving of around £2.50. The Picasso doesn't have that loop at the front though. Is the Dessault as long/big?

Annoyingly Scubastores searches often don't reveal all of their products. I have noticed it a couple of times before and the above float never showed up until I searched for it on Google :(

Last edited:
Pity you hadn't posted sooner - because the Dessault version on Scubastore clearly has the correct International blue & white alpha flag, unlike the Picasso version sold by Scubastore:
H.dessault Double Blade Float Bmax

In the UK the price of the Picasso is only 50p more (~$1) but the cost of the replacement flag is £2, so a saving of around £2.50. The Picasso doesn't have that look at the front though. Is the Dessault as long/big?

Annoyingly Scubastores searches often don't reveal all of their products. I have noticed it a couple of times before and the above float never showed up until I searched for it on Google :(

1) I am 99.99% sure it is the same - just a different marking. See for yourself: http://www.dessault.com/pageflip/HDESSAULT2016/#36
2) Like I said - be careful about the flag - it is cheap and weak - I had to make my own. Also try to devise an attachment on the bottom of the flag pole so it connects more reliably to the 'foundation' loop.

Yes, probably the same fl0at, the plastic flag on mine stays rolled up, which probably makes my flag look smaller in relation to the float. I have already ordered a replacement Picasso blue/white Alpha flag & a cloth alpha flag by another company, as I anticipated that the plastic flags might be rubbish - as you have just confirmed. I hadn't anticipated the flag pole itself being rubbish too :( - PVC plumbing pipe sounds like a good idea (I thought that was what Picasso had used but it looks a bit thin). When you wrote:
...My biggest issue is the flag - it is plastic and was torn pretty fast. The rubber loop it attaches too is too loose - you might lose the flag altogether....
Are you referring to the 2 elastic bands at the back of the float? On my float, those are a very tight fit on the flag pole currently - although elastic typically perishes pretty quickly in the sea/sun, so poor design there - needs to be something that can be easily & cheaply replaced or that will not need to be replaced.

Re. the front loop, I take my earlier comment back, that is the same as on the Picasso, I just didn't recognise it from that angle.

I currently have my float "mocked up" with: my RA stringer, my dive torch and a small mineral water bottle. In real use, I will also add a folded RA cray bag (or other crab bag) either a larger water bottle or a second small water bottle & an emergency whistle. Just as I hoped I would be able to do. Under consideration: a spare knife (something suggested by Foxfish), perhaps a second smaller mask torch, perhaps in a mesh bag to prevent loss. I'd really like to carry a dye marker or plastic streamer marker but haven't found one at reasonable price yet.

You are in the USA, did they send you a float with a Blue & white International/European/Commonwealth Alpha dive flag - or the USA red & white diver-down flag or, heaven forbid, the Red & luminous white/green Croix de St. Andre flag feature in the Dessault catalogue at the link above? [Just what the world needs: yet another unrecognised & unrecognisable diver flag - got to love standards, you just can't get enough of them!] Writing of which, is this what your dive flag looks like now? :D
texas-state-flag-pole.jpg

BTW How/where do you attach you ballast weight(s)?

Last edited:
The flag pole itself is OK - just too thin to my taste. I secure my new nylon flag using a stainless screw so I needed more 'meat' on the pole to hold it - thus I replaced it with a thicker wall one. As far as those two loops - they are tight but on a few occasion in some turbulence the float flipped over and I almost lost the flag so I need to devise a more secure attachment - perhaps a little piece of rope that runs through the pole at the bottom (just drill a hole) and is tied to the foundation rubber strap loop. As far as the weight - I use a simple waist belt weight (a real anchor got stuck on a few occasions) on a rope that sits on a winder. The winder is attached via stainless cable loop to one of the hooks on the float. It does create a problem that the stitching on the strap to which the hook is getting undone. SO I need to devise a system that distributes the weight more evenly. When I hunt on Azores sometime my float takes a lot of abuse so I have to make sure that I do not lose anything. I already lost a water bottle and a winder. I also need a better system to attach an extra gun - looking at the moment for a marine grade shock cord.
I feel that if you can - better get a Styrofoam float. I can not use it because I travel buy air to my hunting destinations. A Styrofoam one is way more stable. Mine flips over so I am afraid just to slide stuff under the netting - it needs to be secured better. Thus more hooks, knots and other unwanted crap. Also you can attach a much longer pole and a larger flag to a solid float. On some good ones the pole is a thin mast like a car antenna of old that screws into the female thread on the float - so your flag is visible from a much longer distance

They sent me an Alpha flag. In the USA you need a red one (Scuba), in Europe you need Alpha. So I got a nylon flag that is reg/white/blue and stitched together a couple of alpha flags, put a grommet in it for attachment. Here is a tip: if you need stainless stays for your flag (Cris-crossed) - the metal strips from the old car wiper blades work best and they are free! So my flag has small pockets for attaching those stays but I do not use them. In the wind the flag dries fast and flaps OK!

My experience is this - practically no gear you buy can be used without some enhancements. I need to modify mu guns, my float, etc. Only mask and fins are good to go, wet suit if it is custom. Everything else need to be altered. Guns come with crappy spears and slide rings (I use air guns) so I make my own or modify existing ones.

... As far as those two loops - they are tight but on a few occasion in some turbulence the float flipped over and I almost lost the flag so I need to devise a more secure attachment ...
...Mine flips over so I am afraid just to slide stuff under the netting - it needs to be secured better. ...
Sounds like you need some (more?) ballast under your float to keep it upright. It is normal practice to add lead weights to your float/marker buoy to keep it upright & the flag visible. Which reminds me, I need to figure out how to ballast my new float (having recently increased the ballast on my old float).

Here is a tip: if you need stainless stays for your flag (Cris-crossed) - the metal strips from the old car wiper blades work best and they are free! So my flag has small pockets for attaching those stays but I do not use them. In the wind the flag dries fast and flaps OK!
Good tip, I have been thinking about stiffening my new dive flag as you describe & it arrived curled up and likes to stay that way! :(

BTW: Templates to make your own Alpha dive flag: https://mdtv3.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/diveflag.pdf [Which comes from #6 on this blog page: https://mdtv3.wordpress.com/scuba-diving/ ]

Last edited:
Good tip, I have been thinking about stiffening my new dive flag as you describe & it arrived curled up and likes to stay that way! :(

BTW: Templates to make your own Alpha dive flag: https://mdtv3.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/diveflag.pdf [Which comes from #6 on this blog page: https://mdtv3.wordpress.com/scuba-diving/ ]
I just kind of copied the plastic one :) As far as ballast - you are right but since I travel it is always an issue to find an extra lead weight. And like I said - to me the biggest problem is stitching - all your hook ups are only as strong as the weakest link. So if you have a metal D-ring attached to a black strap that is stitched to the red shell and that stitching gets undone - you have issues. I will experiment with the following: I have another similar float - an Omer Master Buoy (like a sphere) with bad stitching. So what I will do is to put it inside a basketball net (very strong thick nylon or similar material, cheap), trim the net neatly so it 'hugs' the buoy and will attach everything to the net. This way the weight will be distributed evenly and my buoy will be 'happy' inside that mesh shell. This can serve as a small float attached to the shooting line or my gun in case I get to some pinnacles for a bigger fish. This setup is primitive, cheap and the buoy will never escape from the net unless taken down and crashed. But for up to 20-30 kilo fish it will work. Plus it weighs very little. And you can attached it to the main float in a deflated state and if needed just can be inflated by mouth. I recently got an amberjack (20lbs) or so at 14 meters with a gun that was equipped with a reel and it was a chore to get it out of the water. I learned my lesson and will try to use a float for a bigger fish.

Last edited:
I just received my replacement flags from ScubaStore.com/DiveInn - I had to laugh, when I saw them:

1. Replacement Picasso Alpha flag: Tiny! Much smaller than the original American-specific dive flag :( - which is admittedly quite large. However, it does appear to be made of cloth rather than the (fairly thick) sheet plastic of the original. And it does fit the flag pole quite tightly.
picasso-alpha-flag.jpg
http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/picasso-alpha-flag/603045/p

2. Replacement Imersion Alpha flag: Big! A little bigger than the original flag. It doesn't have a sleeve big enough to fit the 1cm-ish diameter flag pole (because of the grommets?), it has 2 v. short tie cords & 2 grommets, which must presumably be used instead. Or a skinny flag-pole could perhaps be used instead. This flag has an inbuilt diagonal wire stiffner :) but not designed for removal & replacement by the look of it :(

imersion-alpha-dive-flag.jpg
http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/imersion-alpha-dive-flag/617945/p

It is a pity the flag pole isn't a bit longer, I could fly both Picasso flags! :D Actually that's not a bad idea. Although it occurs to me using more flags, a bigger flag or a heavier flag pole may put undue stress on the fabric of the float, beyond what it was designed to handle.

Last edited:
I just received my replacement flags from ScubaStore.com/DiveInn - I had to laugh, when I saw them:

1. Replacement Picasso Alpha flag: Tiny! Much smaller than the original American-specific dive flag :( - which is admittedly quite large. However, it does appear to be made of cloth rather than the (fairly thick) sheet plastic of the original. And it does fit the flag pole quite tightly.
picasso-alpha-flag.jpg
http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/picasso-alpha-flag/603045/p

2. Replacement Imersion Alpha flag: Big! A little bigger than the original flag. I doesn't have a sleeve big enough to fit the 1cm-ish diameter flag pole (because of the grommets?), it has 2 v. short tie cords & 2 grommets, which must presumably be used instead. Or a skinny flag-pole could perhaps be used instead. This flag has an inbuilt diagonal wire stiffner :) but not designed for removal & replacement by the look of it :(

imersion-alpha-dive-flag.jpg
http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/imersion-alpha-dive-flag/617945/p

It is a pity the flag pole isn't a bit longer, I could fly both Picasso flags! :D Actually that's not a bad idea. Although it occurs to me using more flags, a bigger flag or a heavier flag pole may put undue stress on the fabric of the float, beyond what it was designed to handle.
The PCV pipe is light. Use grommets on the flag - drill to holes on the pipe - one close to the end, another at the same distance as the distance between grommets. Take two plastic zip-ties , run them through the holes you drill and the grommets, lock - problem solved!
An alternative would be to alter a sleeve on the flag to accommodate a larger pole but it will still be insecure - you would have to attach the pole to the grommet on the bottom end.

Let me reiterate - it is insufficient to run the pole through the sleeve - no matter how tight it is. It will be wet, expand and the flag might slide out when the float is flipped over. You must secure the flag to the pole at the bott0m point

Re. float ballast I did wonder about placing or perhaps even gluing (e.g. perhaps with Copydex latex glue or neoprene glue) a flat dive vest weight or piece of sheet lead inside the fabric of the float, between the cover & the bladder. It is pity they never put a weight pouch their (as Best Diver did?).

On my old float I threaded thick cord through the 3 fastenings at each end & then folded strips of sheet lead around those, so spread the load.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT