• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Interesting spearguns by Apnea and Epsealon

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Sounds like a good deal :) Probably not a selling ploy, most folk probably don't worry about spear diameters, they just assume a decent manufacturer will supply something suitable. Not sure if you really needs a 7mm spear for UK waters (even my Rob Allen Sparid had a 6.6mm double notched spear, which seemed pretty hefty for most UK fish), I was happying to move to a thinner Omer 6.3mm spear next (also double notched but probably not suitable for anything more than 2x14mm). But if you want to try 2x16mm rubbers a 7mm spear should easily handle it.

What species and size of fish do you spear Mr.X? I am looking for a spear that will take out Halibut,large pollack and Cod. You say you changed to an Omer 6.3 spear was that used on the Rob Allen Sparid or a different gun? I was looking at replacing the 6mm stainless steel spear i have on my Picasso Asegai for a 6mm Picasso spring steel spear as stainless steel is a soft metal and i want a spear that is going to penetrate have less chance of flexing so shoot straight every time and minimal chance of breaking but if i can use a 6.5mm spear on the Asegai which uses 2x16mm rubbers it would cover a broader spectrum of fish and a 6.5mm spear is not such a big step up in comparison to a 7mm spear.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Get a large dia shaft and a few spares... as those fish will thrash and bend them!

Get at least 1x 7.5mm as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Halibut can be huge but which country are you planning to spear halibut from?

You earlier post said you're getting a 7mm spear but your last post says 6mm. I'm assuming 7mm is what you are going to.

The 6.3mm spears are on my Omer XXVs (75 & 90cm). They are pretty skinny, I wouldn't want to go thinnner than that.
Fine for most UK fish (except perhaps things like conger eels). The 6.6mm spear seemed unnecessarily heavy for bass, mullet, pollock but not bad - but the flopper was much heavier (better I would say), more robust and more positive when engages, reassuring when dealing with larger specimens. Nothing wrong with a 7mm or 7.5mm spear per se. I just question if you need that - esp. as you say you are carrying your gear in and weight is a factor. If you are really into spears, you might want to search for posts by forum member Rob Allen as he has done some experimentation with different spear diameters (there are all kinds of issues such as energy, momentum, flex, impact, penetration, range, etc., etc.).

BTW The shiny stainless steel 6.3mm spears are much easier to see under water (for good & bad) than the dull RA spears.

I will be spearing Halibut from Shetland UK large Skate are also common up here they are regularly caught here and i have seen them whilst blue water diving last year but i also do shore diving off the beaches on the outer Island i live on and that is when i carry my gear and spear with the Picasso Asegai amongst the kelp beds where the fish hide but is easier to access on foot rather than the risking the boat on the rocky reef. So i think i will go with the Picasso Basik Aussie for blue water diving and for bigger fish with the 7mm spear and stick with the Asegai for shore diving unless you can suggest anything other such as a good alround speargun or options for both.
I was also interested in the Spetton adhesive Intergral guide and fitting it to my Picasso Asegai looks an interesting option to convert my current speargun to a rail gun.
Any thoughts on it?
Thanks.
https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/spetton-adhesive-integral-guide/594377/p

Reactions: Mr. X
Blue water diving for flat fish? How deep are you going? "Bluewater"generally means you are diving in water currents for pelagics & not concentrating on reef unless its very deep reef & causing upwells.

I'd get the 82cm pathos with a 7mm spear.

You can rig it to shoot up to 5m accurately.

Should work for every condition and vis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Brochman
If you are going to spear big fish esp. flatties, like big halibut, where you might hit something hard behind*, something thicker (i.e.7mm+) makes sense.

*If this becomes a problem, you might even consider something with a replaceable, threaded tip and/or spare spear(s). A threaded tip would also give the option of some kind of multi-prong/trident/paralyzer tip to prevent over penetration and stun the fish. But perhaps something for later consideration ;)

Re. stick-on rails. I think this is a good & useful option sales and marketing product. Omersub offer them too (and have a good video showing how to fit it ensure a good quality, accurate fitting) and I found that helpful, when I was deciding whether to buy my 75 Omer XXV without a rail (it is available with and without a rail), to know that I could later fit a rail if I needed it. I found that it is not necessary or particularly useful on a short gun and a stick-on rail won't increase barrel rigidity. Also, not having a rail reduces the cost, profile & mass and thereby lateral drag, weight, and inertia. It may also slow slightly complicate loading (perhaps depending on whether you have an open/closed muzzle). So when I later bought the 90cm XXV I was quite happy to buy the cheaper, lighter, slimmer, rail-less version.
My Conclusion
: You don't need a rail on a short (e.g. 80cm) speargun. Good to have the option but not strictly necessary. Having a rail has cons as well as pros.

Last edited:
BTW What sort of visibility do you expect to spear in? I have the impression that Scottish water can be very clear, in which case a longer speargun might make sense (e.g. 90cm-100cm). On the other hand, if it is murky (as, say, Dorset and further east often are), then for something big like Halibut, a shorter speargun might makes sense (e.g. 50cm-70cm RA railgun or short pneumatic). If you are getting 2 spearguns, you might consider getting one a little shorter for poor viz. and one a little longer for higher viz/range. If you get the same model, most parts should be interchangeable (useful), alternatively you might find it useful to have one heavy duty RA railgun for the big fish and something faster & lighter for "regular" fish.

I like my pair of Omer XXVs (75 & 90cm). I use the 75cm mostly but increasingly the 90cm in the slightly clearer waters of Cornwall. But they are definitely lightweight, superlightweight even, so probably not the thing for you. At the other end of the Lightweight->HeavyDuty spectrum, I always thought a 70cm RA railgun & 90cm RA Sparid railgun would be a good pair to cover most UK conditions. But perhaps something in between - as you have found - is the Goldilocks zone for you ("not too hot and not too cold").

BTW I missed a plaice this year because it was underneath me in just a few feet of water and I couldn't lift the handle of my speargun out of the water far enough or quick enough to take a shot. Sometimes a very short speargun is an advantage ;)

Sharky I think you need to read my the post again as i did not say i was just diving on a reef and i said i have seen skate i did not say i spear them. Yes it is deep water around here i can cast a line from the shore in places around this island and catch Mackerel so with the Mackerel being so close in the bigger predatory fish come in its a case of blue water spear fishing and shore spearfishing are practically one.

Last edited:
I will be spearing Halibut from Shetland UK large Skate are also common up here they are regularly caught here and i have seen them whilst blue water diving last year

Yes mate I read what you said & read it again. You just have a different interpretation as to what "blue water" spearfishing is.

Reactions: Apneaddict
I always took it that blue water fishing was fishing out in the ocean away from land

This may be over simplifying it but if you are hunting a reef or even the edge of a reef which could drop from lets sy 30m to 100m, you still are fishing the reef, unless you approach it differently & are actually fishing the current or "water" rather than the reef. Its two different ways of approach. Bluewater spearfishing is when you are specifically hunting in a puddle of warm (or cold, sometimes trying to find that perfect 25C) water or a current. Structure & reef comes into it when it effects the current or upwelling, but you are still fishing the "water" rather than any structure other than a FAD, this has always been my interpretation of bluewater spearfishing.

Yep i get that Sharky that is why i was looking at a 90cm speargun for a longer firing range for larger fish in open water away from the reef. .

Yep i get that Sharky that is why i was looking at a 90cm speargun for a longer firing range for larger fish in open water away from the reef. .

Ahh, I dont think you do mate. Even in your part of the world 90cm isnt a bluewater gun. I know that legally you cant shoot Bluefin in the UK atm but Albacore are still an option. I'll be chasing them this Sept up there & whilst I havent decided on what thickness of spear or how many rubbers I will use, the gun itself will be 1.4-1.5m. Maybe I'll bring a 90cm for 4-5m vis & pollock & wrasse, but not bluewater species, even in the British isles.

Reactions: Mr. X and Brochman
Ahh, I dont think you do mate. Even in your part of the world 90cm isnt a bluewater gun. I know that legally you cant shoot Bluefin in the UK atm but Albacore are still an option. I'll be chasing them this Sept up there & whilst I havent decided on what thickness of spear or how many rubbers I will use, the gun itself will be 1.4-1.5m. Maybe I'll bring a 90cm for 4-5m vis & pollock & wrasse, but not bluewater species, even in the British isles.
Thanks Sharky i could have gone and bought that 90cm gun and it wouldn't have been the right speargun to buy. I will look for a 140cm gun.

Skate are common as in regularly seen different to Common skate.
Oh sorry my misunderstanding, I got confused when you mentioned skate as I thought there as only one type of skate found around the UK?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT