• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Invert Roller spearguns (e.g. Neptunus)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I know this thread is getting a little old, but I am looking into the neptunucs set up from the video, but I can’t find a link to purchase anywhere. Also i can’t tommy boltha inverted rollers for sale either. Can anyone help me out?

As all Tommy's guns are custom made it's best to speak to Tommy directly so that he can find out exactly what your requirements are and build the gun accordingly. I've sent you his email address via pm.

That looks great! How did the testing go?

I've also played around with the bands, swopping the 16mm bands for 18mm. The most comfortable setup thus far is 1x18mm inner set which is loaded by the pulleys and combined with 1x16mm set which I load by hand. Performance wise this combination seems to work well but again, unfortunately I can't say exactly how much harder the gun is shooting compared with the standard 2x16mm set.

I really need to find a way to test the actual energy, velocity and impact values... :banghead:

Can you upload a video of the loading process so I can see it versus a standard multi-band gun and a standard roller?

Can you upload a video of the loading process so I can see it versus a standard multi-band gun and a standard roller?

Hope this helps and sorry about the shaky video, it's a little more difficult to load the guns out of the water.

Reactions: zpearo
Hope this helps and sorry about the shaky video, it's a little more difficult to load the guns out of the water.

Thanks for the video. The loading process looks easier than I expected. Is loading the 4 x 14mm bands on the inverted roller harder than loading the 2 x 16mm bands on the standard roller? And how much difference in recoil is there between the inverted and standard roller? When I think about it, I can't figure out a logical reason the inverted roller would have less recoil than a standard roller.

The loading process looks easier than I expected.

The guns are very easy to load once you have practiced it a bit but the video does however not show the whole story. Loading the gun before an active hunt when time isn't that vital is easy enough, it's when you have reload very fast where things get interesting - double wrapped guns simply take longer to load.

For example a missed a shot and I want to reload on the same breath hold or I've shot a fish and the school is holding and I want to take another while they are around.

For sure none of these guns will get close to the loading time of single 20mm rubber on a single wrap 1.2m gun - one of my favoured yellowtail setups, but these days I prefer quality over quantity and will take a accurate well placed shot any day over an extra fish on the boat.

Is loading the 4 x 14mm bands on the inverted roller harder than loading the 2 x 16mm bands on the standard roller?.

No, the pulley system makes loading the 14mm bands easier. If I put my back into it I'm able to load the whole shebang (14's and 18) in one go but it's pretty hard on my chest, so I prefer to do it in two stages.

And how much difference in recoil is there between the inverted and standard roller? When I think about it, I can't figure out a logical reason the inverted roller would have less recoil than a standard roller.

I haven't considered all the forces at play when the gun fires but can say that, although not massive, there is a noticeable difference between the inverted and standard. It could be that the pulley setup leads to a more progressive contraction of the bands which provides less snappy feedback. It could also be that there is less muzzle whip with the inverted so overall there is a feeling of less movement when the gun fires.

The guns are very easy to load once you have practiced it a bit but the video does however not show the whole story. Loading the gun before an active hunt when time isn't that vital is easy enough, it's when you have reload very fast where things get interesting - double wrapped guns simply take longer to load.

For example a missed a shot and I want to reload on the same breath hold or I've shot a fish and the school is holding and I want to take another while they are around.

For sure none of these guns will get close to the loading time of single 20mm rubber on a single wrap 1.2m gun - one of my favoured yellowtail setups, but these days I prefer quality over quantity and will take a accurate well placed shot any day over an extra fish on the boat.

No, the pulley system makes loading the 14mm bands easier. If I put my back into it I'm able to load the whole shebang (14's and 18) in one go but it's pretty hard on my chest, so I prefer to do it in two stages.

I haven't considered all the forces at play when the gun fires but can say that, although not massive, there is a noticeable difference between the inverted and standard. It could be that the pulley setup leads to a more progressive contraction of the bands which provides less snappy feedback. It could also be that there is less muzzle whip with the inverted so overall there is a feeling of less movement when the gun fires.

Thanks for all the detail here. I'm familiar with trying to load a double wrap quickly to get a second shot off, only to have the school swim past just as you load the bands.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT