• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ireland 2015

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Derekn

Rubber Bandit
May 26, 2010
Better late than never....Happy New Year guys.

Just turned over to Discovery channel and there's a new series on commercial spearfishing just started. Might be worth a series link.

Ha...we'll be a while waiting I think. Amazing, I didn't see a single one in the same place I got them the previous year, in fact I didn't see any at all...water temp was a bit cooler though last year. Got some nice bass in one of Danas's favourite spots but overall I didn't get out as much as I would have liked, this year on the other hand ;).

Hopefully getting my new kayak delivered tomorrow, that should open up some new territory for me and arrow during the summer :).
I'm getting all the gear I had for my boat ready to put on it... anchor, gps, fish/depth finder and a handheld vhf radio, so if you're coming down for some spearing don't forget to bring your yak Rob :happy:.

Reactions: vasile and bobdonny
Always welcome Vasile...
Seeing as how it will be a few months before I can go fishing again I've been keeping myself entertained with this...
Diving Almanac - http://www.divingalmanac.com/, it took a few attempts to download it but its a great read.

The commercial spearfishing show Catching Hell on Skys Discovery Channel is nuts... a lot of it is faked for the camera to add tension and drama. It also raises some ethical questions of spearfishing on scuba tanks but does get to mention targeting specific fish as against trawling and by-catch. The divers are completely money driven and I don't think it will do spearfishing rep much good with Joe public who I think are rooting for the sharks and waiting to see someone get attacked or screaming in agony with decomp sickness...as I said though I think a lot of these 'situations' are deliberately manufactured to sell the show and I hope most people can see past that. Anyway, its worth a watch just to make your own mind up.

Reactions: Fitzy_1982
I haven't logged in here for a while and I'm shocked to find it so quiet. Whatever happened to the Irish on this forum????

Reactions: Trelawney
Still here Sf, waiting for the weather to give us a bit of a break so we can go spearing again :p

Hope you're keeping well and we get to see a few reports from you this year...must be a few pollack knocking around your neck of the woods soon.(y)

Reactions: foxfish
I haven't logged in here for a while and I'm shocked to find it so quiet. Whatever happened to the Irish on this forum????
Too many prying eyes checking out catch reports. I found photos on facebook of a few strangers clearing out my best bass spot and also clearly showing its location...

Also, the place died a death without your kayak reports :)

Sad to hear that Rob about your bass spot. I always have and always will be vague about areas and so on in my reports. With a bit of thought it's not too difficult to find good places locally but I was a bit teed off a few years ago when Dennis met a member off here bringing 7 bass out of one of my spots. That place has never been the same either but hey ho, it happens.
I must get back to Filipe and arrange some scalloping before the seasons over. MMM... scallops!

Did u get out at all? This week looks good.
No, I didn't but I might this week.
I was out "west" hiking this morning. Set off at 5.ooam to watch the sunrise on the mountains at 6.30. I'm only just back now.

Reactions: Filipe
I was out walking along the Old head yesterday, looked nice..
Going to leave it till late May early June this year

Hi All, I am just back in Ireland after a few years away. I am looking at doing a bit of spearing here. I am based in Cork on the harbour. I am not too bad at the freediving and have done a small amount of spearing before in Indonesia. Looking for any recommendations on locations (secret spots not required for understandable reasons! :) ) and possible dive buddies. Any recommendations and tips would be appreciated. Thanks. B

Did u get out at all? This week looks good.
I just got back an hour ago Rob. I got twenty scallops in about an hour. I'm not sure of the eact time I was in as I need a new battery in my D3 but I reckon about an hour and depths around the twelve metre mark judging by the depth of my float anchor line. Best dive was three shells in a dive, which I managed twice. No photos as I forgot my camera and now can't be bothered to photograph them in my kitchen.:sleep: Good big clean "kings" though.
Reckon I'll try for bass or mullet in the week. Should be a few around by now.

Sad to hear that Rob about your bass spot. I always have and always will be vague about areas and so on in my reports. With a bit of thought it's not too difficult to find good places locally but I was a bit teed off a few years ago when Dennis met a member off here bringing 7 bass out of one of my spots. That place has never been the same either but hey ho, it happens.
I must get back to Filipe and arrange some scalloping before the seasons over. MMM... scallops!
Welcome back Sunfish!
It seems a lot of new and younger spearos cant help plastering their pictures all over facebook, with detailed locations of where they went.
We've got a couple of hoofing spots we keep to ourselves, and if anyone asks where they are, they usually end up 10 miles away from them.

Welcome back Sunfish!
It seems a lot of new and younger spearos cant help plastering their pictures all over facebook, with detailed locations of where they went.
We've got a couple of hoofing spots we keep to ourselves, and if anyone asks where they are, they usually end up 10 miles away from them.
Thanks Trelawney, I've been spearing all along but less regularly as I've had young dogs which took up a lot of my spare time. I try to catch a few salmon and sea trout in summer too.
I'm off out with the spear in an hour or so when my wife finishes work. My youngest dog will be two years old in May but she's still a bit puppyish and needs babysitting in the house or she'll chew something.
I should be doing a bit more this year anyway as my job's quite flexible and my allotment's up to speed and almost all planted. Happy days and good luck to you. ("better lucky than good" as they say in Hawaii)

Well done on the scallops. I haven't been down there in well over a year.
I'd say there should be some signs of life around alright.

Hey everyone,

I have been in Ireland for nearly a year now but have unfortunately not been able to do any spear fishing yet as I have not found a buddy. If anybody is willing to take me "under their wing" it would be much appreciated. I am willing to buy a few rounds to show my gratitude. :) Hope to hear from some of you.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT