• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Is is true that Tresher Shark is good ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
damn tree huggin hippies...lol

The majority of the posters on this site are seemingly good people but you occasionally run into the narrow-minded person who's opinion is "the truth"...you see it most when someone spears a fish on scuba...some dumb ass freediver has to open his mouth and call it cheating...such a waste of typing. If you don't like it or don't agree with it, just don't reply.

welcome to the site bro.!

post us some fish pics from out that way!

WoW..... I"m just reading that post again that i made now and i realized something... I must have been pretty liqoured up. I mean wow... I'm almost proud and ashamed at the same time... wow.. lol.

Thanks Stretch armsrong, Your right about us being tree hugging hippies. But were also walking hippocrates (Californians) we have the whole things should be how we want.. not what we do philosophy. But most of us are confrontational, short tempered and arrogant.. hehehe... We do hate polution and are the most health conciencious though... However we live in on eof the most polluted cities in the world (Los Angeles)... go figure.

lol.

lol.... (i was making fun of the California Sterotype) I'm actually origionally from Canada (East Coast) and i eat more beef then anyone else.. hehe

Wow that went down hill fast.......
Thresher is fantastic eating...........
And very exciting to catch......

Hey Bland,

Whale is good eating too. Especially Beluga. Should I start throwing those back??

Agua Fina

Freediver81........ you are right... jews dont eat those things..
for as its haram :cool:
salfuh called the morenas as far as i know and i am familliar with the arab great colorfull kitchen ...
any way it will be interesting to taste shark, so called in arabic "Karsh"
eyal

Last edited:
wow - this thread reminds me of 5th grade recess :hmm

I;ve eaten mako abd shovelnose (guitar fish). the mako was fantastic the shovel nose tasted like ass.

might have to try some thresher, if I can find it.... :)

whoa!!!! I'm out of this one.

Agua Fina...out
ps Thresher tastes great!! almost like swordfish.

Iyadiver said:
One time I saw a thresher shark in 100 feet of water, scarry black big eye, not too big , maybe 100lbs. A friend of mine said that it taste good....is this true ? I thought shark has lots of Mercury in them ?

Is it Ok to shoot this in the US ? In my place there is no restriction.

IYA

thresher and mako are excellent. r&r fish these once a year for the turney. mercury is of concern but eaten once in a blue moon you will be fine.

eugene

Amphibious said:
wow - this thread reminds me of 5th grade recess :hmm

I;ve eaten mako abd shovelnose (guitar fish). the mako was fantastic the shovel nose tasted like ass.

Really, what kind of ass? For those of us who don't know what ass tastes like, can you give some detail descriptions? rofl

Sorry couldn't pass it up. O.K recess is over.

Seriously though, if you saw the thresher clearly then you should have seen its tail. That tail is to be feared as much if not more than it's mouth. The shark swims up to a school of bait and uses it's tail to "bitch slap" the bait. The tail may stun some and slice some, then it comes back around to pick up the injured and dead fish.

So if you're going to spear one and you don't stone it, I'm not sure how you'd go about landing it. Because if you get near it, it can bitch slap you.

For what its worth, thresher is considered excellent table fare in California, and is usually for sale in the fish department of supermarkets right next to the swordfish steaks.

A friend of mine shot one while diving from the beach in San Diego County last year. I thought I had a photo, but can't seem to find it now. As I recall, it was about 70 pounds and he took it with a small Euro gun.

Hi,
I don't recomend it! I guess if it is prepared right then it could be good, but there are so many other fish that taste good. Besides why kill a shark if your not even sure if it is good? Thats a n enormous waste!

deeph2o86 said:
Hi,
I don't recomend it! I guess if it is prepared right then it could be good, but there are so many other fish that taste good. Besides why kill a shark if your not even sure if it is good? Thats a n enormous waste!

I don't understand why you don't recommend it. Have you tasted it? As far as preparing it right goes, most any recipe for swordfish should work fine. It doesn't require any special handling. Just last week I notice thresher steaks in Ralph's supermarket fish section for $9+ per pound, so someone must think it tastes pretty good.

Why kill a tuna, a wahoo, or any other fish if you aren't sure its good? Probably because someone else told you it was good, so you thought it was worth a try. Why wouldn't the same principle apply to sharks?

Come to think of it, I wasn't sure beef was good until someone killed a cow and let me try it.

Do you have some information indicating threshers are threatened? They are so thick off the Southern California coast that they have fishing tournaments for them every summer, and they catch a lot of them.

1.) Thresher shark is one of the better tasting sharks and it does command a high price per pound. personally i think its overrated but whatever...if you want to taste one, buy a piece in the store...dont be cheap though and think that youll spear one and then find out...(yes i think that its lame to shoot something if you havent tasted it and it is available)

2.) as a teen i speared sharks (blues, leopards, angel, lemon, soupfin), but i dont do it anymore. for one thing i hate watching them die, they make a hissing groaning sounds that resemble crying and their faces are very expressive,...(im well aware of the potential hyprocrisy in this statement--eg its ok to kill tuna since they look like an expressionless silvery torpedo, but you might think again if you actually watched a shark die) they can also hurt you, even the little ones. if you check out the data on threshersharks you will notice that the resiliency rate of the species is not very good. their population doubling time, like that of all sharks, is on the higher end of the spectrum. in california, new england, and the sea of cortez they have been massively depleted. theres a reason why there isnt a listing for thresher in the spearfishing records.

3.) the tail on a 8 ft (small) thresher shark could easily snap your neck, the jaws are pretty ferocious even on the lil ones...unlike a marlin youve got danger on both ends: there is no safe direction to approach a speared thresher. another thing is that most pelagic fish will suffer some sort of cardiac meltdown near the end of their battle against the spear...not so for a shark, which makes subdueing them a lot more tricky.

ive seen thresher while freediving...i left them alone and they stayed away from me...im pretty happy with that arrangement.

Reactions: DeepThought
I've heard that thresher are the best tasting shark. I like shark, very firm meat, kinda like halibut. With leapord shark you have to cut their tail and bleed em, I dont know if you have to do the same thing with thresher. If I had a chance to shoot one I would. Check the regs first, dont want to shoot any illegal game.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT