• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Is Spearfishing a Sport?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Is spearfishing a sport or underwater hunting?

• Spearfishing is a sport!

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • Spearfishing is underwater hunting!

Votes: 49 74.2%

• Total voters
You sir, are by definition, obsessed with definition! :hmm

You sir, are Obsessed with his Obsession on Definitions, and by definition that makes you a sad obsessed forum going armchair apneist.

I on the other hand am not Obsessed with your obsession of his definition obsession, and I don't need to attempt to define whether this is a sport or not.

My conclusion.....

Get your wetsuit packed, all shut the f*** up stirring up trouble for yourselves and go diving.............

Ter deerrrrrrr

I should be a counsellor :)

I should be a counsellor :)

LOL - for sure :) Possibly you can start by giving Yeti and me some counselling as we were both very disappointed to have had our applications to join Armchair Apnea International declined as we're breaking their joining criteria because we get wet too often. We were gutted :-(

Marine Protected Areas - Scotland

This is just the start and why we urgently need to redefine spearfishing regarding public, ecological and legislative perceptions of it???

On Sat night me, Yeti and an undercover Spearo were diving at night in a marine reserve.
Our activity was completely legal.

I've dived in and around conservation zones in S Africa - the fish life was amazing compared to other areas so perhaps sensibly planned conservation zones aren't so bad after all?

On Sat night me, Yeti and an undercover Spearo were diving at night in a marine reserve.
Our activity was completely legal.

I've dived in and around conservation zones in S Africa - the fish life was amazing compared to other areas so perhaps sensibly planned conservation zones aren't so bad after all?
Whether it’s because you haven’t read the thread properly or you are just being deliberately obtuse, you are clearly missing the point by a mile?
MCZ’s are obviously beneficial to conservation and sustainability with sound scientific research evidence to back it up. So why can’t spearfishing continue on into the future with exactly the same principles (and research) together with some kind of partnership with the legislators of these and future MCZ’s? Our unique underwater coastal range & (majority) existing ethical practices could provide untold benefits to future conservation/sustainability research as well as species/area management - even perhaps at night?
So why not… because currently we are officially ‘represented’ in the UK by the BSA… whether we like it or not? One look at their web site and we as an entirety in the UK are incorrectly branded and publicly perceived as ‘killers in the name of sport’. This means (amongst other negatives) that we are allowing ourselves to become ‘scapegoats’ for future and progressive legislation.
We’ve still got a chance to do 'something' now but time is running out and shouting ‘won’t, ‘shan’t’ and 'shut up'… will clearly not crack it?

Last edited by a moderator:
You beat me to a couple of points I think while bashing away at the keyboard but I can't be arsed to change it.

This is not a direct response to any particular posts just general thoughts on the thread as a whole. All just my opinion by the way so no getting upset now ;)

artiz, you have very valid points, ignoring some personal opinions, your thinking is in general sound, as Mart has mentioned, and as you say 'the writing is on the wall'. You certainly don't lack enthusiasm for your chosen subject....but......unless its good old face to face communication, where words, intent and intonation work as a team, it is easy to brow beat folk with just the written word and easy for anyone to be guilty of misinterpretation.

For the very same reason we don't (I say we! but i'm sure it can be generalised) like being legislated and controlled in what we love doing, telling people what they must do to stop it is just as bad. Throw personal opinion with definitive statements into the mix and heels will start to go in. Not necessarily because people disagree with what you are trying to say or achieve, but just because their chain is being yanked.....or cage rattled? lets face it some (myself included) belong in a cage!! no names mentioned :)

Lets walk the right road with this..... slowly slowly catch the monkey.

Just to add my tuppence worth folks, I have in the past had lengthy discussions with a ‘certain area something or other’ Officer for a ‘certain area’ Conservation Development and Regulatory Services and also the ‘certain area’ Inshore Fisheries Group. Ridiculously lengthy titles but very human people to speak to in person!!

The attitude was nothing but positive and would ‘remain so’ as long as the legal limits were adhered to, and as things are voluntary in the reserves just applying good old fashioned common sense and their code of conduct to your activities is all they ask. They understand there is a difference between our recreational fishing and commercial. Commercial spearfishing to them is a big NO-NO without any form of licensing.

Their knowledge of spearfishing wasn’t extensive but they know it exists and having taken time to discuss different aspects of it, they were appreciative of the information. In fact the positive response was extended to the appreciation that ‘we’ and scuba divers have a unique view on the under-sea environment and they would actually appreciate any feedback on anything we see, trends, problems spotted or anything that might be of interest to them from a conservation point of view.

I shall continue to maintain a dialogue with these people and do my bit for what it is worth but I don’t think any weighty guns blazing revolts are going to do much good for that dialogue. Sorry no details for now as I don’t want them bombarded nor would I like to publicly quote them without their permission.

Anyway that’s my dogooding & meddling out in the open………and NO!! apneaboy there NOTHING else I’d like out in the open!! :D rofl

Just getting off the whole sport/hunting debate for a minute which I don't think is constructive as it seems to flounder on opinions, perceptions and emotion instead of fact and is going to disappear up its own @rse at some point. I think moving forward has to be slow, suggestive and subtle instead of militant. Just a suggestion but why can't we beat 'them' to it and become a conservation and environmental necessity, feed information that can be relied upon, acted on?? Fish species and numbers, general health of underwater flora and fauna? Not rocket science but it is the stuff we stare at the entire time we are in and I think in spearfishing you actively study that sh!t to try and get an edge!? with the digital cameras that folk tend to use these days whilst out it is a superb resource for conservation groups.

Potentially all it takes is an email to someone who regularly dives an area to divert for a bit of info gathering. I'd do it if they asked me to?!? The possibilities are extensive to educate folk and get them on side instead of relying on trying to hold ground we are outnumbered and outgunned in.

I think raising our profiles just now and bashing on at folk that don't really understand the spearfishing thing is potentially volatile, but yes given time with enough background work and a good attitude in the long term it may serve to protect our interests. One thing that worries me is the need/rush to 'legalise' something that is not 'illegal' this needs to be trodden very carefully, especially where spearguns are concerned. An idiot with or without a speargun is still an idiot. Lets hope commonsense prevails!

Reactions: artiz
thats it! no more! my head hurts! :head that is the longest combination of words I have strung together since writing lines at school. :waterwork

LOL - for sure :) Possibly you can start by giving Yeti and me some counselling as we were both very disappointed to have had our applications to join Armchair Apnea International declined as we're breaking their joining criteria because we get wet too often. We were gutted :-(

I'm in an armchair now....... but unfortunately sat in the middle of the north sea??? does that still not count? :(

You struggling to sleep?!!? I fell asleep myself half way through writing that! I can come round and read it to you when i tuck you in at night if you like?? ;)

Great post though mate. You can explain it all to me one day ;-)
Enthusiastically seconded... it is a great post and a much needed voice of reason Yeti... sincere thanks.
I realise I may be pushing it here but what are our options... what can we do?
41 spearo's bothered to vote here and that is probably more than the entire membership of the BSA?

........I realise I may be pushing it here but what are our options... what can we do?

walk the fine line between narcissistic irrational single-mindedness, and being organised, determined, patient and rational....i guess?? :confused: :girlie

Mmh Vote? I access the forum on my iPhone and don't see any voting opportunity.
Will have a look at this on the pc tonight.

walk the fine line between narcissistic irrational single-mindedness, and being organised, determined, patient and rational....i guess?? :confused: :girlie
Narcissus... isn't that the Greek bloke who fell in love with himself? He surely wouldn't have had enough time away from his mirror (or a 100,000 word PhD) to spend researching and informing lots of apparent ingrate's how to protect themselves and what they love doing... would he??? - :D

Reactions: Yeti
Big changes at the BSA (new index page) have just been announced with a whole set of new goals:

[FONT=&quot]BSA Goals[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Develop a recruiting strategy [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Produce a common statement defending spearfishing[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Develop a strategy to recruit and maintain a group of defenders in spearfishing rights[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Develop a safety course in spearfishing[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Develop a 1st class course in spearfishing[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Develop a non competitive social strategy[/FONT]

Is it time for us all to join forces?

It would be nice if the BSA made a presence on db...perhaps they will now?

It would be nice if the BSA made a presence on db...perhaps they will now?

As a respected and popular DB member of staff, team leader and apparently all round good and knowledgeable spearo... perhaps you/DB could formally invite Steven Mullineaux - (bsachairman@underwaterfishing.co.uk) to express his & the BSA's new initiative/ethos here on the forum?
I am still not a member of the BSA yet but would be very happy to pass on any such invitation which may allow open discussions concerning a united front regarding representation for spearfishing in the UK... I reckon we're going to need it very soon?

I do believe that the majority of BSA members are familiar with the forums existence, if they are not already members, but as this forum in general, does not agree with the BSA approach to spearfishing compertisions, we do not have many active BSA members!
However I would be more than happy to invite Steven Mullineaux to present the BSAs new incentives on the forum.
There are obvious benefits for all spearos to unite......

Edit... I have sent a mail to the chairman..

Last edited:
I do believe that the majority of BSA members are familiar with the forums existence, if they are not already members, but as this forum in general, does not agree with the BSA approach to spearfishing compertisions, we do not have many active BSA members!
However I would be more than happy to invite Steven Mullineaux to present the BSAs new incentives on the forum.
There are obvious benefits for all spearos to unite......

Edit... I have sent a mail to the chairman..

Sincere thanks from me Foxfish. I think I have already made my views known both to this forum and to the BSA. My hope is that although I also do not agree with competitive spearfishing over time and along with other like-minded (new) members the BSA will focus on the forthcoming onslaught from uninformed do-gooders, political opportunists and legislative bodies. We clearly may need to change some of our practices, (hopefully none) & accommodate some minority views, but small price to pay if we can negotiate as a majority via an established national body within all consultation processes which may/will effect us in the near future?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT