• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

I've got an idea- breathold with Scuba

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
this is the very first thing i tell people who plan to use a nose-clip for diving. it is a very real danger. i've harped on about it a few times on DB. some people do it intuitively but most people have to actually learn to do it. the glottis should to be opened too, not just the soft palate.

Some people specifically teach to always remove the nose clip at the start of ascent for this reason. I think those most at risk are those who can clear their ears easily but haven't used noseclips before. If you can't clear your ears easily, the build up of pressure may be more likely to push air back into the pharynx by forcing the soft palate open. Then again, these people may still be at danger due to the standard reverse-block in the eustaceans.

Anyway, back to the main thread - I'm amazed that anyone would want to blother with the BCD idea when positively bouyant at the surface. I wouldn't want to have to bother kicking down! I'd weight myself good and heavy! :)

If he actually got out there and messed with it, I am sure he would decide to do it SCUBA style, weigh heavily for negative bouyancy at surface with BC fully deflated. It sounds potentially fun, and I feel that at any reasonable depth I could survive an equipment failure.

laminar said:
Using a stone to sink in variable weight is another crude form of technology. You use the stone as a tool to get deep without swimming.
You bet!! the crudest! (beats chest and makes captain caveman sounds)
Caveman freediving but with a modern twist, a rope to pull it back up AMA style

haha, yea exactly, i'm just very interested in No-Limits-type diving, and this is just like a crude version.

Thanks all for the input, (even those celebrating my stupidity). I'll use it constructively. I realise that this is potentially dangerous, but I would start small and be as safe & prudent as possible.

During no-limits diving, these guys seem to come up quite quickly. With this little contraption, you could focus solely on the breathhold without having to expend any energy. Sink slowly, ascend slowly, and controlled. I know what I'm doing with scuba.

Anywayz, thanks again.

Since you are determined to do this, please post your results to this thread. I am interested to see how it works out.

Alun and I have done some slate/stone variable weight diving before - it is really good fun and wierd to be down at 40m without expending any effort to get there.

The best 'stone' I had was a 6 foot iron bar - I pointed it down and boy did it drag me fast!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT