• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

jet fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

_memento

Jun 9, 2003
where do i find a pair of new closed heel jet fins? i understand these are THE most durabe fins...and ideal for shallow water spearfishing.

The only "full foot" jet fins that I ever saw were the original ones invented by Beauchat more than 40 years ago.

Jet fins are great for SCUBA diving, I acutally use Turtle fins with my drysuit, but I wouldn't want to use them for freediving.

There are many better choices out there. Even a small pair of rubber underwater hockey fins would be better than Jet fins- and cheaper too!

Jon

hi

Dont worry about sucba fins mate, if you want good shallow diving fins Just get the Green or softest version of any of the major brands Omer, Picasso, Esclapez etc they will all be better than any scuba fins.

cheers

when i say shallow water i mean between 5 feet and 25 feet. that's SHALLOW. with rocks, and sometimes strong currents, so i need something that DOES NOT BRAKE. i also don't want to spend money on a new fin every year, so which one of those fins is the most resistant.

Well, it's true that’s Jetfins are durable. In fact, when they are fitted with spring heel straps, I can't think of a more rugged fin.

They aren’t available as a full foot fin and as far as I know, never were.

The Jets don't develop quite as much power as a set of Mares Avanti Quatros or Cressi Sub Frogs, either of which will probably be a better all round freediving fin if you couldn’t use a set of long bladed fins for any reason.

The Mares and Cressi fins are also very durable but the Jets will probably last twice as long.

Scubapro do make a full foot fin in the Twinjet range but you can't compare the Twinjets to the original Jets in terms of power and robustness.

Ash

hi

Memento Proper freediving fins are very durable Im talking about the plastic ones. I think your refering to Carbon blades breaking. Not sure where your diving but I have a pair of Omer millenium comps and dive on Coral reef which is probably the sharpest type of underwater terrain out there and they do get scratched to pieces but they still perform and will not snap.

I take it your new to diving and most newbies believe in the open heel style fins these are no where near as powerful as even soft freediving fins. 25ft is still deep enough.

cheers

As Andrew mentioned, plastic freediving fins are pretty darn tough. I have an older pair of Picasso Black Teams that have been through their share of rocks, and scuba trips, and are still going strong.

For something small, and cheap, look at the scuba store attached to this site. The Esclapez grey, Sporasub long blades, Sporasub Cruise, Cressi Frog, Aqualung Blades F.F. model, or any other on there will work much better and take up less space than Jet fins.

Don't waste any money on the Scubapro split fins.:duh

You could also look up some of the underwater hockey sites out there and see what their wearing. Any of those fins would be great for what your doing.

Jon

momento, can't help you on a closed heel jet fin, never saw such a thing. However, If I understand your conditions, a regular open heel jet fin would be a good choice. I used jets for about 15 years before switching to garas. Both are very durable, and great in their place. I still wear my jets for special circumstances,like lobster diving in very shallow, rocky, places. My pair is about 20 years old. I wore out two sets before that, but they are still the most durable fin I ever saw.
You will probably have to wear a bootie, but there are some advantages that may cancel out the much greater efficiency of long fins. Surface diving is much easier, faster and more effective with jets. The response time from when you kick to when you move is much quicker with jets, although once you get going, nothing touches long fins. In situations of current or waves combined with tight places and shallow depths, the jets would be my choice.
Good luck on your search!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT