• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Killing sharks for fun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

cebaztian

Oct 3, 2003
Disclaimer from the Deeperblue staff: This has been just a bit of fun for the 1st of April

**************************ALL OF THIS WAS JUST A 1st OF APRIL JOKE*****************************

I dont get upset easily, and I am not the kind of person that start "petition-lists", but I feel some kind of reaction is needed. Well actually a public OUTCRY. This attitude and behaviours has to stop. And you should get involved and not just sit and read and nod your head and say "thats a shame".
We all know some people think its a manly thing to kill big animals even if they are endangered species. Sharks seen their fair share of this, and the public are slow to react. Probably because sharks are not as cute as dolphins.

You might think that this kind of things might not happen among us (maybe the ocassional stupid spearfisher). But now I have heard that a top athlete in freediving regulary takes vacations in the phillipines and kills sharks just for the thrill of it. He got caught by the police some year ago at an airport with spearguns and some sharkteeth, but claimed he bought them.

I know maybe Aida can not move on this, but I would like to see an athlete like that be banned from competition. And maybe this guy is too popular for anything to happen. But I am so pissed when hearing this so I will never take part in a competition where he takes part. I THINK YOU SHOULD JOIN THIS BOYCOT TOO.

He might call himself the greatest freediver of all times, I would rather call him the most immature SHARKILLER OF ALL TIMES. Herbert takes these kind of hunting vacations now and then and hangs out with his pall W in the phillipines killing as many as 3-4 sharks a day. I heard him bragging once about having shot 7 tiger sharks in a day. His friend W has a business going selling the fins to a local restaurant.

IF HERBERT IS IN WC BAHAMAS I WONT COME.

I know this is hard to believe and you might side with Herbert because "he is such a nice guy", but I believe you have to take a stance. Send him an e-mail and say what you think.

I also heard from G, that Herbert brought his speargun to Vertical Blue and are planning to go "nursesharking" with Will after the comp. Will, we already know got this nerve disease two years ago after eating too many nursesharks, and all the canadian guys are in on it too, trying to impress Sara and Jana. The only one who has taken some stance is Georgina who refuses to dive on the same line as Herbert, so the organization lets her compeete on the warm-up line instead.
I cant believe this is happening, Trubridge is even planning to get sponsorship from the energy drink SHARK, what IRONY.

BOUYCOTT THE BAHAMAS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sebastian
****************ALL OF THIS WAS JUST A 1st OF APRIL JOKE**************

Last edited:
Sebastian, you took a decision to post on the Deeperblue forum to accuse some well known persons of illegal and unethical behaviour.
No matter what each of us thinks on the issue, you may understand that this puts the forum staff in a difficult position.
There is not any single DB moderator who approves killing sharks nor any other endangered species, but at the same time we have no means to verify the consistency of the accusations you report of having heard. And, anyway, this is not a tribunal.
After a brief talk between forum moderators, we've decided to keep this thread open by now, but I'm afraid it won't go very far, honestly speaking.

but I'm afraid it won't go very far, honestly speaking.
Yes I believe you are right, I am already beginning to get hate mails from Elizabeth K, but we all know that Norwegians have no decency at all when it comes to slaughtering the wildlife of the oceans. And most surpisingly South African Hanli (which I thought was a friend) has shown her true face by deleting me as "friend" on facebook with the only statement "those bastards white sharks deserve to die".
The only one who has shown any support is some unknown guy called Craig Clasen (whoever that is).

Last edited:
Wait a minute - 'Hate mail from Elizabeth K' !??

All I can say is I didn't get enough sleep last night..

As a Moderator of the Freedive forums on DB, I see some quite disturbing behaviours from members from time to time. By and large, most members behave themselves well, but occasionally one will overstep the mark. A lot of the time, this is drug related.

Typically, a lot of the trouble we have here on Deeperblue is not from Swedes but from Americans, which I find surprising as most Americans are illiterate. Obviously Sebastien is very upset over something, and although I personally observed some intimacy between he and Herbert in 2007 I am not in a position to suggest a lover's tiff as it would be unethical as a Moderator.

Even if these allegations against Herbert are proved, I truly believe that a man's actions can define him. Herbert has held more world records than any man in history - you simply cannot be the best in the world for so long and maintain your motivation and focus. Clearly, Herbert now searches for bigger and better new goals as a shark hunter.

And as for bringing a speargun to Vertical Blue, I think this would make a fine new discipline, in fact I heard on the grapevine that AIDA were looking to implement some sort of new discipline allocating points based on depth, time underwater and rare-ness of species shot at depth. Of course cuter animals would rate a higher point, there would need to be some sort of sliding scale.

Let's be fair here - if I knew Sara and Jana were into that sort of thing i'd be trying my guts out to impress - they are hot chicks and i'd be popping a spear into anything that got me a wink from those ladies. Herbert (and the Canadians) are only human after all. Well maybe not the Canadians but they are funny to watch.

No, Sebastien is way out of line on this one. The whole reason humans have thumbs is so that we can dominate those species without thumbs. It's obvious.

Anyway it's late on this date and I need some sleep. I'm going to go to bed and dream of getting hate mail from Elisabeth K...

Truly disturbing. Herbert is my main freedive mentor and hero. This stains my whole taste for diving and spearfishing..... I quit.
You guys can all look for me on the sportbike forums :(

I'm sorry Sebastian, but your recent behavious has been just unacceptable. You know my stance on sharks, kill em all!

So please. Get a life.

No, NOT a 'friend'!

Reactions: spaghetti
Sebastian you need to chill out man! Sharks are dangerous animals that hunt humans for fun. I mean they rarely actually eat their victims which just shows that they are killing people for a laugh. I think they should move the WC to Cape Town and then the lads can wipe out these ruthless Great Whites!

Isn't this all about 1st April Sharks ?
Yes, I was thinking about it too. But probably not, it wouldn't be a funny joke. Anyway, I do not quite understand the uproar Sebastian's post created, and why the post should be banned. It is a public post, and if Herbert or anyone else think the claims are incorrect or untrue, or if he wants justifying his actions here, he has the space for expressing himself here too. I understand that opinions on killing sharks may differ, but that's exactly the reason people should know about Herbert's hobby. And I believe it is much better opening a public discussion about it, where the accused can defend himself, than spreading rumors behind the scenes where there is little to do against it.

Personally I am not supporting killing anything unless there is ultimate need, but then again I know nothing about the species Herbert kills, and about his reasons for it, so I am still hesitating to take a stand.

Reactions: spaghetti
I am almost sure it's a 1st April joke!!!:rcard

I remember last year Cebaztian wrote something like AIDA – CMAS and Olympic games,.... (don’t know for sure). So let us know if it is a joke again!!! :friday

Regards!
Jure

Maybe the flying fish is getting somecomeback having being chased by tigger and winne for so long. As for those nurses whoooaa

Everyone in the Bahamas knows that sharks have ciguatera, especially the big ones... But we did go out spearfishing last week and landed 3 nice size turtles - one loggerhead, so a great shell to hang on the wall.
Herbert didn't get anything - he put a spear through a bottlenose dolphin, and though it looked like a great holding shot, it somehow got free.

There are a few facts I got wrong in the initial post.

- Herbert has as far as I know never killed a shark.
- Neither has "W", and I have no idea if there are sharkfin restaurants in the Phillipines.
- There were no sharkteeth in Herberts luggage when he got busted at the customs with a speargun.
- Will has never eaten nursesharks, as far as I know.
- Ryozo is not the owner of a sharkfin restaurant.
- Canadians are not more than any other nationals prone to kill sharks.
- Hanli does not hate white sharks.
- Elizabeth has not sent me any hate mail. (How could anyone believe that, shame on you).
- Norwegians do kill things in the oceans, and I happily eat them, at least the fish.
- No one at Deans is trying to impress Jana or Sara (or maybe they are).
- Georgina is probably diving on the main line.
- Craig C has not been in contact with me.
- I will not Boycot the next WC at Bahamas
- And unfortunately SHARK is not sponosring the WC.

Next time I will check my facts better.

But what I am sure of is that it is the 1st of april today.

I thought I twisted it well enough into absurdity at the end, but obviosuly not.
Maybe some of you can twist it even further so we all just end up in that feeling of disbelief I was looking for. I used a tone of moral outcry that I find exaggerated to the point of silly. Unfortunately some people believed I have that in me. My public imgage has a few flaws apparantly :)
My ambition was to amuse you, and also to fool you (thats the whole point isnt it?) At the end of the text I thought it would be obvious that it was "too much".
All the people mentioned I have met and will meet again, so I will eventually know if we share the same kind of humour. In most cases I think we do:)

Lets do an experiemnt. In the top right corner you can RATE this thread. Do it. 5 means I am a funny guy. 1 means: this text shouldnt have been posted.

Good one, rep sent! And my post obviously in a similar vein ;) You CAN find me on the bike forums, but I'm not leaving here. And I'll be hunting as soon as the ice comes off.

First - I would like to thank Will who, during his no fins course last November, showed us all how to kill Lionfish with framing hammers. Will - I hope that Black & Decker sponsorship comes through for you.

Now - I would like to propose an alternative outlet for our right and good manly instincts to physically ( and yes; sometimes sexually (you know who you are ))dominate lower life-forms - particularly ones that might bite us.

I admit, brilliant as it is, this is my idea. It started out innocently enough - as my frustrated spearfishing impulses were channeled - first into photography - then vandalism. But then, like any good American, I thought 'I gotta make me some money!!' So I started selling advertising on fish - instead of just scrawling obscenities. I mean; why not combine the pleasurable with the profitable while demonstrating my awesome ability to get close to nature's wild creatures on their own terms, and make them by bitches!

Well, the upshot is, I told Will about it, and y'all might notice something a little different about the Tarpon this year. Lets face it - your average Tarpon is basically a swimming billboard!

Last edited:
Dear Sebastian,

A friend of mine alerted me of this thread, so I started reading. I was surprised about you coming out so blunt, naming so many well known names, with such divisive venom. Not really knowing what to make of it, being so alien to your normal short - precise - polite - posts, I kept on reading through other people's reactions. Happily there was your confirmation at the end it indeed was an April 1st joke.
Here you ask what we think of your joke.

Well I don't like these types of jokes, simply because it can be (-come) very harmful to those mentioned. (smoke=>fire)

Basically you've implanted the viewer with the image of Herbert and William happily spear fishing big sharks just for fun. Though the image maybe short lived and hopefully not widespread, it's not something I want to vaguely remember.

Consider that also people with a poorer understanding of English and grammar may interpret it wrong and may actually burn relations, or worse, take impulsive action.

I hope you had the blessing of the mentioned people, I wouldn't appreciate being accused in any way for 'a joke'. Rumours have a tendency to have a life of their own.

I much rather would read a more positive joke, and I'm sure you can do those as well ;)

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT