• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Killing sharks for fun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
First - I would like to thank Will who, during his no fins course last November, showed us all how to kill Lionfish with framing hammers. Will - I hope that Black & Decker sponsorship comes through for you.

Now - I would like to propose an alternative outlet for our right and good manly instincts to physically ( and yes; sometimes sexually (you know who you are ))dominate lower life-forms - particularly ones that might bite us.

I admit, brilliant as it is, this is my idea. It started out innocently enough - as my frustrated spearfishing impulses were channeled - first into photography - then vandalism. But then, like any good American, I thought 'I gotta make me some money!!' So I started selling advertising on fish - instead of just scrawling obscenities. I mean; why not combine the pleasurable with the profitable while demonstrating my awesome ability to get close to nature's wild creatures on their own terms, and make them by bitches!

Well, the upshot is, I told Will about it, and y'all might notice something a little different about the Tarpon this year. Lets face it - your average Tarpon is basically a swimming billboard!

Brilliant idea for an American! :)
More: it's the best American product ever designed after Dr. Pepper soft drink! (and before anyone starts a new flame, yes, of course, I mean the newer dolphin-safe type Dr. Pepper).

Herbert didn't get anything - he put a spear through a bottlenose dolphin, and though it looked like a great holding shot, it somehow got free.

I keep telling you Will, gotta aim for the lungs...

Thank You Spaghetti. As an American I pride myself on being almost as smart as the more important European persons, such as your Italian self. And also being nearly as though Mediterranean and something, which is very much.

Yes yes!! The Dr. Pepper! We are loving him very much in sub-Canadia.

Last edited:
sebastian, your post was awesome, hilarious and just what april fools day is about!!
also well done to spaghetti, benny b (very funny indeedio), fondueset and will who had enough humour to carry on.
fabrice and daic - part poopers! trux - seriously???
and kars, cooooome on!! i think everyone mentioned has enough self distance to be able to laugh at jokes about them. you have heard of sarcasm, yes? and april 1st???

Dear Sebastian,

Basically you've implanted the viewer with the image of Herbert and William happily spear fishing big sharks just for fun. Though the image maybe short lived and hopefully not widespread, it's not something I want to vaguely remember.

I've never met Sebatian nor Herbert (besides the random youtube video).
and I can't say my view about either Sebastian nor Herbert has changed after reading this post.

+ I had to post in this legendary thread ! :)

Very nice, Sebastian... ;)

April 1st is allways a good moment to test peoples sence of humor...

Next time, leave out the japanese shark fin restaurant. Japanese dont eat shar fin, they eat wale, dont you know?

Last edited:
Yes Kars, the pen can be a mighty weapon. Yet I feel my phoney accusations were so far from home that they were absurd.
True - We have seen both Will and Herbert with spearguns in their hands and someone might imagine a dead shark in that picture. But still I see the speargun as a food gathering tool and Will and Herberts images are securely anchored to many incredible dives - and also good humour. But yes, it would not have been that difficult to make up a story of something positive.
Lets turn the attention this way:
William Trubridge News

Sebastian

PS. And this thread also insinuates something about my sexual preferences, a theme that pops up now and then.
I will not comment that in any way, instead I will remain inside my platonic closet, and meet all acussations with saintly silence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Will
I don't believe shark killing is right, but we don't act out like this to people who farm cattle for slaughter, or people who fish, or even people who hunt deer, moose, etc. Possibly over reacted?

Nice thread !
personnally i fully support Herbert !
but too bad he doesn t do it on scuba. it s much more fun !
personnaly i like to spear baby seals ,their salted meat is excellent. and hunting them on scuba is an advantage ,as they come closer because they like to play with my bubbles.
i really don t understand why so many europeans frown upon spearing on scuba ,it s so much fun , much better than holding your breath !
everything about giving animals a chance ,but what about giving hunters a chance ?
don t they deserve it ?
i fully support PADI America and the fact they promote the "underwater hunter" specialty.

I'll admit I initially fell for it (but, but...I was at least hesitant! Damn...)

My only defense is that to me it didn't seem at all over the top from Sebastian, more like his usual rant ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: cebaztian
Cebaztian? Do you drive for Red Bull? (4/5 of their drivers are called Sebastian or variants thereof :D).

...Happily there was your confirmation at the end it indeed was an April 1st joke.
Here you ask what we think of your joke.

Well I don't like these types of jokes, simply because it can be (-come) very harmful to those mentioned. (smoke=>fire)
...Consider that also people ... may interpret it wrong and may actually burn relations, or worse, take impulsive action.

I hope you had the blessing of the mentioned people, I wouldn't appreciate being accused in any way for 'a joke'. Rumours have a tendency to have a life of their own.

I much rather would read a more positive joke, and I'm sure you can do those as well ;)

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars
Well put Kars, I agree. It didn't strike me as funny but it did strike me as potentially defammatory/libelous/hurtful and potentially harmful for spear fishing. But it was April 1st.

Sebastian,...There is not any single DB moderator who approves killing sharks nor any other endangered species, ...
I don't object to people killing sharks for food, provided they are not endangered. I don't buy into the sharks being special per se (either for killing or saving) & would be more concerned about bill fish, which are far less common.

This thread meets the criteria of a good April Fools joke - which should always be just a tad vicious and leave a few people pissed off. While there are several elements in this one that are pretty ingenious - I'd have to say the Hate mail from Elizabeth K. really takes the cake - well, refusing to use the same line is pretty good too - I could go on.

In any case - I think it's important to understand it in the context of the April fools tradition - which has always been a bit borderline.

Hats off, Cebaztian - well done!

This is an awesome thread! i love it! I literally laughed out loud when I read the Craig C. line. I have to send him a link to the post! I fully expected there to be people to jump on that line.

NICE!

Then came deus ex machina Fondueset to donate the ultimate touch of class.
Your idea of the sponsored fish is so funny, and the artistic rendering is so beautiful, that it will get my vote as the "Post of the Year" if we'll ever start a DB Post of the Year contest, which is likely to be possible...;)
(The first prize will be some very ancient dolphin-safe item from autoctonous eurasian civilizations. Second prize: cash for new monofins, perhaps :)).
(and take note it's no more 1st of april)

Fondueset, it looks like Kevin over at Hammerhead Spearguns has already used this publicity. Found a Nat Geo pic....

Attachments

• hammerhead-shark.jpg
    hammerhead-shark.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Reactions: spaghetti
kars and mr.x i dont get it! isnt sarcasm the highest form of humour?? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: spaghetti
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT