• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Killing sharks for fun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
kars and mr.x i dont get it! isnt sarcasm the highest form of humour?? :)
I must be humour-impaired. They say that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but I wouldn't agree with that, I can think of much lower examples:). It didn't strike me as sarcastic & didn't even raise a smile, let alone a laugh. Too close to actual posts & attitudes I suppose. JimDoe2U's post usually make me laugh pretty hard though & StuckInSurrey's recent report on his birthday card.

Wow! Despite the initial disclaimer at the top, I had a hook line and sinker hanging out of my mouth,and I don't even know these people :duh

Traditional British fish humor:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhJQp-q1Y1s&feature=related]YouTube - Monty Python, The Fish Slapping Dance[/ame]

I heard him bragging once about having shot 7 tiger sharks in a day.
roflroflrofl

The Person who wrote this has either never met a tiger shark or is being very very sarcastic! Pretty solid evidence of phonieness of the post. I don't know who would take it seriously.

That being said, it is pretty darn lousy joke, really i would not be proud of it! I don't know sabastian or herbert, but dude! you don't make jokes about people unless you are closest buddies and you know the other person will enjoy the humour.
Even then it's risky. All humour needs an object, I find the best humour is a comedian who makes himself the object of the joke. Ripping other people off, has never been a very effective means of making friends.

Reactions: foxfish and Mr. X
A 1st April thread? I have a sense of humour failure, sorry.

Hope all goes well in the Bahamas!

dont know how i missed this thread but i loved it .
well done will and sebaztian .

Aaaah this has evolved. It has turned into a social experiment. The
nice and cosy atmosphere has been stirred. The community seems
divided. Some feeling amused, others not getting it.

Does an APRIL FOOLS JOKE have to be funny?

The fun is in the fact that initially the reader is fooled. The joke
grows the longer the reader can be fooled as the story becomes more
absurd. How absurd can it become before the readers goes: "naaah, this
is not possible". 3-4 sharks a day! Compeeting on the warm-up line?

The purpose was to eventually have it so absurd that it was obviously a JOKE.

In itself it is not specially funny - its tragic - killing sharks (for fun).

Sebastian

PS. I have met a Tiger shark.

Me freak out, then laugh whole-heartedly. Ya got me lol.

Well I guess it comes down to who has met Tiger Sharks and the people involved. For the insiders the joke may be obvious, but if you picture someone reading this that has just for the first time typed "freediving" into google - they probably get a little different idea. Why wouldn't Herbert be able to kill 7 tiger sharks in one day? He's a superman who can dive down to 214 meters on one breath, isn't he? :)

But there's no manual out there that says april fool jokes must be of good taste and much less manuals on what is good taste. They often go way overboard and leave someone with ashes in their mouth...I guess that's the point :)

Personally, I would be vary of implicating people directly, unless they are in on it and agree, but that's just me.

At least it stirred up some discussion ;)

Reactions: foxfish
..Does an APRIL FOOLS JOKE have to be funny?...
Personal opinion: Yes of course, all jokes should be funny, or at least try to be.:duh

While I guess it could be argued that the British economy/government/banks/immigration policy/benefit system/exams/policing/prisons/judicial system/NHS cleanliness are now "a joke", that's just a play on the real meaning of the word, IMHO.

I think Jome has made a very good point, although we have placed a disclaimer on the first post some members are still getting confused!
I fear this thread is too easily misread & could also be found by visiting guest or studying students who might well get hold of the wrong end of the stick?

come on guys .
i thought it was brilliant .
i must admit though i seen the thread title on the forum and was a bit worried to say the least.
you have to have a serious humour block not to realise it was a con though .
there has been a few shows in the uk with similar humour brass eye .
caused absolute murder . funny though

I like to be naked, with my sphera.
Somehow, I imagine this statement to be based in fact. So I think it is off topic! rofl

The original post is like any hoax sort of e-mail. With minimal effort you can figure out if it is true or not. In this case right in the original post, and many posts that follow.

It is funny, well, not funny really...more disturbing really....That people only read what they want to read and assume the rest. When I first read it, I thought it could possibly be true until I got to the Craig C part. I don't know the people who "now hate cebaztian", so that part was plausible to me. There were other parts of the story that I kind of questioned when reading it, like the teeth and I thought he got stopped going to, not from. But figured that could all be checked... But then you hit the point when....ah ha, he is definately making it up. Unless you stopped reading.

A joke does not have to be funny. Practical jokes often anger and sometimes injure the person they are played on and others laugh. The line of going to far is different for everyone.

Re: with sphera

A joke does not have to be funny. Practical jokes often anger and sometimes injure the person they are played on and others laugh. The line of going to far is different for everyone.

I would have to agree.. I would also think that there are jokes, practical jokes.. and then there are pranks. The latter is more often the culprit on April 1st, imo. :friday
A joke is a joke no matter how many people disagree. Those who take jokes too seriously won't ever 'get it'. But then again.. humor is subjective.

Don't be ridiculous; we are all nudists here.

Why in the world was I not told of this?!? I thought I was the only one.. :eek:

Reactions: ILDiver
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT