• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lake Geneva October 6th

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Will you be able to make it on Oct. 6th?

• Yes and with Friends - "Say HELLO to my Little Friend"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Whopperhead

Wisconsin Speargun Hunter
Mar 2, 2007
Where: Lake Geneva

When: October 6th, 2007 10:00am

Why: To shoot fish & Freedive

Who: you tell me :t

I will bring my boat, and maybe some Johnsonville Brats ;) A more accurate meeting point will be decided.

I'll most likely be in Bayfield Co. Bowhunting with a friend. But if he can't make it then heck ya I'm in 'fer sure!

By boat access won't be a problem (in October) However, shore access may be slightly difficult though as the "old safety building" is being sold...Rumor is that there will be a new one further down toward Fontana. There are several parks you could go out from I suppose.

I'll probably usually go in where I have recently obtained private access in Williams Bay for now. I have'nt really dove any other areas of the lake. I do icefish there all over it though. Awesome lake for big panfish.

Tol had mentioned something in a different post about renting a pontoon boat...That would be cool...There are several areas with NICE structure on Lake Geneva. I have some on my GPS. But I don't think rentals are still going on now let alone in October. Then you could cook the Johnsonvilles right on the pontoon boat! Diving off of a pontoon is fun...Did it on Big Green once...It was awesome to say the least. One of my dreams is to one day have a nice boat modified just for freediving and spearfishing.

The lake gets alot less crowded this time of year - Usually Lake Geneva is a zoo...Bigtime...It's like Illinois' playground...I should say CLOSEST playground...We all know that Illinois owns half northern Wisconsin already!

Several species available to spear on Lake Geneva including - Carp, Dogfish, Longnose Gar, Suckers, Bullheads, LOTS of Rock Bass, White Bass, Crappies, Bluegills, Sunfish, and Yellow Perch. And tons of big gamefish to look at. A week or so ago I saw probably what was close to a 10 pound walleye...Maybe even a little bigger. 3-5 pound Smallies are everywhere sometimes. I've seen a few Bucketmouth's that had to go 6 or 7 pounds. The panfish can and do get pretty big in this lake as well.

I can't beleive that I'm so torn between pole spearfishing and :( bowhunting ....Ahhhrghhh!!!

I'm gonna go set up a ground blind right now!!!! There is alot more EDIBLE meat on a deer! And I like venison...When I see a deer it's like "Get in my belly!!! :p -

Somehow I'll have to find the balance between the two...

Oh shoot...Thats right...The balance has TWINS on it in about 3 months or so!!!

Last edited:
Man, sounds good. I HOPE I can get an OMER order in and shipped by then! Brats...mmmmmmm....had brats for lunch today!

Scott,

How many carp do you see in a trip to Lake Geneva?

Wondering if it holds enough for the both of us :martial

Gene

I am in, I mean I'll try to be there. I would like to try polespear hunting but even more I wish to play with Your new camera/housing. I will bring laptop to capture some video, OK? Did You try to edit this MPEG-2 files yet?

I was hoping Brats meant girls from Jacksonville, obviously it must have different spelling

Ping - Bgill says there are lots of carp - I'll let you shoot a few ;) I will shoot every dogfish I see though - I hate those Ugly things.

nostres - I did mess around with some video from Green Lake - The Files are HUGE!!! 160mb for a 3min vid. Your more than welcome to play with it- I'm sure you can show me a few things. I have to try to figure out how to make the file smaller so I can post on YOUTUBE . The video quality was great- on Sat. at Lake Mich - I had a problem with the inside of the housing fogging up- any suggestions? I haven't looked at any video from Sat. but hope to this week.

Yeah, when picture quality is so nice it has to be big file. Making it smaller for YouTube - downconverting is easy and You gonna use file-export in Your editing software, then You select format of destination clip - 320x240 or 640x480 (BTW that's a lot of resing from 1920x1080 so it may take some time even on a fast machine)

There should be little bag with silica gel included in Your housing, put it inside along with camera. Also avoid big temperature difference, before going to cold water have Your camera and housing cool down. Open the housing and keep it in cool for a while
It better help, I don't think You want to spit in You housing like in the mask:t

Last edited:
Whopperhead, a quick search....
"1. Start with a dry and fairly cool temperature in the camera and the underwater housing. If it stays cool, the chances of slight condensation (that can ruin your dive video) from temperature change under the thermocline are reduced."

and

"3. Add some type of moisture catcher. There are many different kinds on the market. Lets name some super cheap kinds, rice, chamois, silicon packets that you get in your shoe box. Or you can just get a couple of packs next time you order video equipment online. "

count me in for Lake Geneva :)

btw, WSP building is now on main campus of GWC - it's not as good as old location, but still nice. Plenty of parking spots and 2 steps from the lake

Reactions: Whopperhead
Please post some good directions & exact meeting location.

Bgil...how many carp do you see here in an outing? What is the vis like?

Thanks.

Gene

I'm hoping that someone - (who goes to this lake often) - might suggest where to meet- keep in mind I'll be bringing my boat- it's a 17' Lund- so we could maybe meet at a boat launch. Geneva is suppose to have vis any where from 12' - 23'. And I'm sure there are enough Carp for the both of us ;) - Gar - do people eat GAR?

I've never eaten Gar. But hey, when one is super hungry, one will try most anything.

There are plenty of Carp in Lake Geneva for all of us...Although they are'nt always easy to find...Lake Geneva is a big lake.

Since you are taking your boat Whopperhead I would suggest everyone meet at a boat launch, There are several on the lake. Hopefully all the Illinois boaters have calmed down. Usually it's hard to get a boat launched very easily here - Atleast during the boating season anyways - You gotta be there at like 4:00 A.M. or earlier or the lots are full.

I'm supposed to be off the 5th thru the 8th...For bowhunting up north...But alot can change...Too heavy of a workload & I might have to be out in the field doing jobs Friday & Monday - If I'm not up north on the 6th - I'll be at Lake Geneva.

Have fun and good luck!

P.S. American Indians used to eat alot of garfish - or so I've heard.

Last edited:
Fingers are crossed! Technosport got our order today. Hopefully they have fast delivery and I'll have a nice warm suit to dive in! And a Cayman HF! I also ordered the L.E. Cayman HF2, but that will not be around till February. I talked to Mark Laboccetta, he told me they are only getting 150 of the 1500 being made.

Anyway, hopefully I'm more comfortable on this trip! :)

Hi all

One of these days I'm gonna have to join up with everyone. Was hoping things were going to stay slow for awhile and then the title wave hits. Have fun.

See ya.

Just talked to TechnoSport and our order is shipping today. They do not have the HF in 75cm in stock so I'm getting a 90cm. 5mm suit, I'm stoked! Whopper, sorry to tell you that your fish count will be reduced with me in the water and able to relax this time!

IL - My fish count will reduce- because you will be scarying them all away ;) With that bright red head gear! "c'mon Cleatus" :)

Whopperhead, you gun you used at SSYC, that is a 115cm gun yeah? I'm wondering if the 90cm gun is going to give me fits. I'm not sure how to compare it to yours or the gun you let me borrow.

I'm hoping everything is here Tuesday so I have plenty of time to setup the floatline. 25' or 30' of line? I'm debating if I should bungee the shooting to the gun or run the mono or Dyeema to the float line. To the float line leaves my gun loose though. But after watching the blue water hunters, it looks like it works well.

Speaking of equipment. The Aqua Lung rep was in the shop yesterday and had the TECHNISUB - MASKS - MARINA with him. Man that thing is small and almost no airspace. It's comfortable. But the retail is around $120.00.

Last edited:
IL - My fish count will reduce- because you will be scarying them all away ;) With that bright red head gear! "c'mon Cleatus" :)
I'll be in a 5mm open cell O.ME.R. suit this time Hoss. The fish will be scared, cuz there buddies will be screaming as I cap them.

I may bring a 2L bottle and a weight on a rope and fire the gun a couple times as target practice. My goal is to stone a carp.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT