• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Laser Eye Surgery

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Eric

I repeat again my question as you missed it:

If I start tomorrow (which I will after purchasing Quaterback's book), how many pairs of glasses and contact lenses for diving will I need to buy?

Regards, gerard.

Typically you'll need to buy contacts of every 0.50 D step. So if you are at -4.00D now, you'll need -3.50, -3.00, -2.50, -2.00, -1.50, -1.00. I don't think you'll need -0.50D.

This is why disposable contacts can be useful. Disposable contacts are very cheap.

But, you don't need to buy all these contacts now, but buy them as you need them. I have everything from -8.50 to -4.50.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Thanks Eric

But what about the prescription glasses? That's the bulk of the cost. Very dear indeed.

We are talking about 11 (I am in the -6.00D right now) x +/-$300 = $3300.

Basically only a thousand dollars less that Lasik, which only takes 4 minutes.

I think the cost and time involved don't really make worth NVI.

Another solution would be dating the daughter of an optometrist:D

Regards, gerard.

11 x $10 = $110

Disposable contacts cost about $10.

Another cheap solution is to go to the store, and buy glasses of +0.50D, +1.00D, +1.50D, +2.00D, and +2.50 and +3.00D, these are about $15 each. (Sold under 'reading' glasses).

Then, all you need are contact lenses of
-6.00 D (which allows all combos of -6 to -3 by wearing various + lenses)
-2.50 D (which allows all combos of -2.50 to -0.00)

So, two pairs of contacts, and 6 x $15 glasses. This is the solution I'm using right now. I always keep various (+) lenses around. At this moment on the computer I'm using +1.25D on top of my contact lenses.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Eric

And where do you buy a pair of glasses for $15 bucks each???

And what about the frames?

What do you mean with reading glasses?

I've myopia not far-sightedness.

Sorry for my ignorance. I know what you mean, but I'm lost here.

Usually prescription glasses are expensive unless you purchase the thick-bottle style which I refuse to wear due to cosmetic reasons:D And maybe even these are just a bit less expensive.

Regards, gerard.

Go to a store like London Drugs, or any drug store. They sell something called 'reading glasses', which are NOT prescription glasses, and they are available in everything from +0.25D to +3.00D. They only cost about $15, sometimes even $10, or maybe $20. They have a frame and everything. If you can't find them in a store, you can probably order a bunch of them online.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

My personal experience in the matter came when I switched jobs from sitting at a desk working very close to working outdoors mostly focusing at between 20-100 meters. Without any special excersizes my vision came from -5.5 to -3.25 on my right eye and from -6.5 to -5.25 on my left. My optician was astounded at the difference and we had a talk about possible causes. Since then I ahve changed jobs again and is once more at a desk (although with a much higher salary :) ) but have kept it in mind and try to focus on things out the window several times an hour.
A note is that I have had vision problems (nearsighted) since the age of nine and spent a lot of time as a child reading books. Which has left me wise but seemingly with poor eyesight.

I am not sure that this is the whole truth but I cannot see that the fact that around 30% of the adult population, in Sweden, has bad eyesight is totally natural.

Eric you have awoken my interest and I'll look into the matter and try to push it even further.

natural vision improvement

I would like to learn more on natural vision improvement. If you can direct me to website or the resources I would appreciate it.
mustafa

there is a copy of the book "Natural Vision Improvement" by janet goodrich for sale on ebay at the moment. i have copy, and it's a great book with lots of excercises. i got it becuase like lots of freedivers i was worried about laser eye surgery and how it may affect my diving and just bored of my contacts.
it seems to be working though and i think i've improved my vision by about 1 dioptre so far and still exercising.

3 or 4 years ago I remember speaking with Eric on the freedivelist about natural vision improvement. I went on and bought the Quackenbush-book, and in one week I improved from 4 to 3 diopters of myopia. I think the best I had was 1.75 on both eyes. Then one day I crashed while skiing and smacked my face into the icey pist. I got a light concussion of the brain, but my eyes went back to 4 diopters again. Now I'm at about 3 diopters and studying hard, so I don't take care of my eyes every day. But It has made a huge difference other ways, like tension in the eyes while driving and reading.

I'm a bit curious about that very-expensive machine with biofeedback. Do you have any more info about it and where they have it?

Has anyone had it done? do you know how long after it you can't dive?
I am totally blind without my contacts but getting scared of wearing them in horrid pools not to mention sick of scrabbling around every morning trying to work out who I've woken up with (JOKE)

anyone know?
Sam:hmm
My lazer eye surgeon is an avid diver after my surgery HE RECOMMENDED a diving holiday! When is your surgery?

LASIK is the most popular laser vision correction procedure in the world today. The LASIK (Laser-In-Situ Keratimilleusis ) Surgery Corrects All Types Of Refractive Errors. You can Bharti Eye Hospital as it is one of the successfully LASIK EYE SURGERY Center in the world with latest technology.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT