• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Little Cayman - unirdna and cdavis reporting

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

unirdna

tropical wuss
Sep 16, 2002
Little Cayman - 2nd Video Uploaded

....well, not reporting yet. I'm wiped. Need sleep. I re-enter the workforce tomorrow. I don't have it in me right now to start typing about the best dive trip of my life. So, here's a video to tide us all over, eh. This vid is the "action" mix. Ma nature / pretty scenery vid to come, as well as a plethora of photos (I filled 8 gigs on the trip). Connor (cdavis) is the skinny one; I'm the stump.

*update to come tomorrow.....Hasta.

Ted

Right Click - Save Target As...
I get 400mb/hour bandwidth, so be patient if my account gets hammered.

High Resolution (640x480 TV Quality - maybe better) - 46.4 mb
https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/bier/Little Cayman - Action High Res.wmv?uniq=-xkd0yb

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
unirdna said:
....well, not reporting yet. I'm wiped. Need sleep. I re-enter the workforce tomorrow. I don't have it in me right now to start typing about the best dive trip of my life. So, here's a video to tide us all over, eh. This vid is the "action" mix. Ma nature / pretty scenery vid to come, as well as a plethora of photos (I filled 8 gigs on the trip). Connor (cdavis) is the skinny one; I'm the stump.

*update to come tomorrow.....Hasta.

Ted[/url]

oh memories memories... look forward to seeing more pics.

Cool video- as always. ;)

I can hardly wait until I get to start diving warm water again. :waterwork

Jon

Very cool footage! I really liked the stuff at the start and end.

A little unnerving to watch the long ascents with bi-fins. :duh It seems to take soooooo long for each diver to reach the surface.

I also like the last shot, at first I thought the camera was simulating a black out, but then the sunset was revealed. rofl

Pete

An extraordinary trip. Fabulous underwater terrain, perfect weather, the best possible diving buddy (unirdna, Ted), a great place to stay with people who were eager to take care of our every need. Wow!

The underwater terrain was the best I’ve ever run into. Some places, you swim out over a 30 ft deep, flat reef with soft corals and small heads, nothing special until you come to a knife edge drop off, The Wall, absolutely no roll-off, straight down, bottomless. Electric blue looking out and spooky black blue looking down. Feels like you are going to fall off. The visual impact of this is impossible to put into words. Doing dives down the wall, barrel sponges big as small cars, all kinds of weird stuff growing 5-10 feet off the wall, a occasional shark off in the blue. Make your turn at 100 feet and there is 70 feet of vertical wall above you, and you can see the surface, incredible! It looks like forever.
Other places the reef was cut by deep narrow channels, open at the top. Some of these you could use negative buoyancy to fly through , using your fins to steer through twisting passages maybe 5-6 feet wide and 20+ deep, soft corals growing out of the walls, almost touching you. As you get to the end, the wall, the electric blue of open water contrasts with the dark walls in a heart stopping picture. Enter the reef at 30-40, come out maybe 60 feet away on the wall at 80. Almost like an amusement park ride, one of the most fun things we did.
At other places, the wall is convoluted and not so vertical, but just as spectacular, plate coral and brain coral heads piled on top of one another, growing up and over the wall, swim throughs, caves, deep cuts in the reef that are fabulous to dive down and up. Sometimes there were sand chutes through the reef. You bottom out on flat sand at say 65 ft and swim along when you suddenly realize the sand isn’t flat, it is starting down at a 40 degree angle into the maw of a king size cave. Feels like you are about to be swallowed. If you could follow it, it comes out on the wall at 100 plus and the sand rains off the edge.

There was a ton of wildlife, words are insufficient, but Ted’s pictures speak for themselves. Two exceptions, for an old spearo to get so close to 60 pound black grouper was a real kick. Tip toeing up to almost touching distance to mutton snapper is right up there. The pics are great, but the emotional impact is hard to record. I haven't been able yet to get my computer to run the pics, but don't miss the vid of the big hogfish and the sting ray. Wonderful!

The vis was good all the time and fabulous on the last day, 40 meters + is my best guess. When it gets that clear it is very hard to come up with a meaningful number. I did one dive to sand that I thought was about 60 ft, you could see detail on the bottom so perfectly. It was 90.

I normally run several trips to the Bahamas every summer on my boat, but last year 2 out of 3 were interrupted by hurricanes, Blah! Anyway, thought we should try something different this year and fly somewhere. Researched Roatan, Utila, San Salvador, Bonaire, Cozumel and several other places in Mexico before deciding on Little Cayman. My thanks to all the DBers that helped that research. For us, LC seemed like the best combination of underwater sights, shore diving, access and cost. We reserved a week at McCoys Dive Lodge, which was perfect for what we wanted to do. Let me plug these folks a little. If you are a free diver and are going to Little Cayman, this is THE PLACE to stay, decent facilities, decent to excellent food, wonderful people willing to help you do exactly what you want to do, the right set up for free divers and absolutely, by far, the best location.

Truly, a good time was had by all, and it is fun to share it.

Connor

Last edited:
Reactions: fcallagy
Finally got my computer to run the pictures. Wonderful to see it again in large format, but believe me, there is so much more. Stay tuned.

Connor

Connor, i cant see the vid.. do i need something special? Media Player doesn't play it :(

Sara,

The video was encoded using a new(er) version of the Windows Media Codec (.wmv). If you are running windows xp, the media player should try to update the codec automatically. If not, you may need to update your player.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/default.aspx

I have a big page of photos ready to display from the first half of the trip (card 1 of 2), but my hosting site is down until tomorrow morning... Haven't worked on a 2nd vid yet - can't figure out which music goes well with stingrays and hogfish :)

Last edited:
Pete,

We wanted to bring a mono with, but Jon wouldn't loan us one because he had a big chip on his shoulder about not being able to come with...jk ;). A mono is certainly at the top of my wishlist. I still need to do more research before I hand over the cash.

Ted, my wife and I really enjoyed your video. another fantastic tedster movie! Hey, I'm wondering when you're going to quit your day job and open that movie production company? the copyright notice was a hoot.
Fred

Very nice job on the vid. Dying to see more. It's been too long since I've been there.
Mark

great vid lads slow motion with the sun refection on the mask was well cool

You want to know what you can't do with .jpegs of blue water?
Compress them. It really makes them look shabby :head .
So, everytime you see that color pixelation, imagine it's not there ;),
because it's not in the original. However, the originals are around
4mb/photo, and we don't have all day.

Photoset 1

Actually,

I offered to lend them one of my monofins, but Connoer's feet are too big and Ted's little elf feet are too small.rofl

I had the same impression watching that video when I saw them kicking for so long in bi-fns.

One of these days, when the kids are bigger, I'll be able to afford warm water trips again. :waterwork

Jon

Excellent Video!! Who sings the song on your audio track?

Freediving training in Cayman is on my Top 10 list for sure!!

-Tom

Jolly well done!
Recognized that song from 'The Bourne Identity' - very nicely done!

Nice video guys! Thats really awesome the shot with the sun reflecting off your mask. Now I know why the fish spook once in a while.
The quality of the pics are really nice. Did you have a wide angle lense?

jim

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT