• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Little Cayman - unirdna and cdavis reporting

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Downloaded the high res video and I'm really amazed. Also liked the slow-motion scene and the one where you filmed your own feet (at the beginning). Moby's Extreme Ways was a perfect song for the background. Love it, can't wait for your second video.

Keep it up!

We had some fairly odd shark behavior, if anybody can shed some light on this, please chime in.

Twice in the first two days we had sharks acting out of the ordinary. Lots of caribbean reef sharks in Little Cayman, but scuba divers (who are Very numerous) seldom see them. On day one, coming up from a roughly 90 ft dive, I saw a reef shark come vertically up the wall after me, coming fairly fast, not just gliding along like normal. I was going away from him at the time and kept going. He got to the top of the wall, maybe 45 feet, pealed off and went back down. No big deal, but out of the ordinary for this type of shark. Day two, 65 ft dive, I saw a reef shark coming across the bottom in my direction, again coming faster than normal. As I rose toward the surface, he came right up to me, met me about 15 ft. I stopped, put my fins out in his direction ( not having a spear, or anything else, in my hand is a paranoid feeling). He came up almost touching distance to my fins, turned away, came back, then went over to Ted. who had the camera and recorded the shark coming up to him. That part is on the video. Then the shark went over and bumped our float hard and finally left. Not a real big deal, but this is definately Not normal behavior. There is a possibility that an adjacent dive boat had been (or was at the time) feeding sharks.

After thinking about it, I began to wonder if being freedivers had something to do with it. It was pretty clear that freedivers are very very rare in Little Cayman, Nobody we met had seen freedivers in action. We do move a lot different from the scuba divers the sharks are used to. Maybe they were just curious and were reacting strongly to something unusual moving away from them. In any case, every time I saw a shark thereafter, I went after him, intentionally showing some aggression. Saw a lot of sharks but had no further trouble. Every time they either kept on slow cruising or went back to that.

Any thoughts on this?

Connor

Last edited:
This may sound odd - but when they are in the mood the Carp here act just like that Shark - specifically - they approach at faster-than cruise - and do alot of approaching and abrupt veering off. I'd agree with your hypothesis that they are checking you out.

Last edited:
cdavis said:
...then went over to Ted. who had the camera and recorded the shark coming up to him. That part is on the video.

I was thinking that my wife deserved "closure" (and a proper life insurance settlement). That was my first EVER shark encounter :head

More media is on the way.

Connor, your disks will be in the mail tomorrow.

I'm salivating.

Did the explaination make her feel better or worse? Wait till you see the back side of Abaco, where the sharks are realy aggressive. Lets not even consider the Jumento's.

Connor

I nearly get airborne when a carp blows by without warning. Cdavis - are you salivating because sharks make you hungry??

Naw, they scare me s----less. I can't wait to see Ted's pics on something larger than the camera screen.

Airborne eh. good description. After my first really scary shark run-in, I realized that walking on water didn't have to be a miracle. All it takes is sufficient incentive. I've come real close to flying more than once.

Connor

Last edited:
Awww Yeah!!

VERY easily some of the best U/W freedive footage I've seen, and that's a lot. Really, really great!! :king

The editing and sound, the fades and the use of some killer stills to break the video sequences, guys you just nailed smooth!!! :cool:

The only thing it lacked was me with a 60" hunk of stainless-laden teak. ;)

Howzabout some info on the photogear for us aspiring video types. And does compressing footage of reflections from the mirror over the office reduce the quality???

Re: Awww Yeah!!

Thanks Swede.

All photos AND video were captured with my Canon S80. No wide-angle lenses or any other bells or whistles - camera and case, that's it. Just got the toy before the trip. Connor and I agreed that having a camera is absolutely necessary for non-hunting trips. Without the thrill/goal of a hunt, you need a substitute.....so, you "hunt" for better photos and vid. You also use the camera to remind yourself of all the fish you could have killed (and man would I have liked to plug those stupid hogfish - I was getting hungry filming them).

The video is very large - at least, at the quality I like to capture (640x480 30fps). Camera takes Secure Digital (SD) cards, and the largest size currently available is 4GB. I had two, and filled them both. I can get about 35 min of video per 4gb card. Good thing is that the camera allows you to crop/edit the vids - very important since space is at a premium.

The post editing was done entirely on windows moviemaker. If you are running XP, you already have this. I've used other programs (Ulead, Adobe, Pinnacle, Cyberhome), but wasn't impressed. Those "flashier" programs simply come with more hoaky transitions. I hate that crap. Who in the hell wants to use a "starwipe"??? Anyway, I prefer fades and blends, and movie maker does a surprisingly good job at that with a relatively quick learning curve - it's made by MS, afterall. I wish it could do zoom and pan on photos, but it's pretty solid considering it's bundled "free" with XP. I encode with a very high quality bitrate. Because most of the screen is blue, the video size doesn't get too large. And to give MS it's fair shake, windows media video (.wmv) is a pretty solid codec (stands for "compression/decompression"). Only Mpeg4 (DVD), DivX or Xvid is better. WMV is solid for sending stuff around the web, and even decent for playback on a TV.

I don't lose all that much quality by encoding (if I use a high bitrate). You see colors blend a bit, and freezing a frame isn't as clear. The camera captures video in "motion .jpeg". This basically means that the camera takes 30, 640x480 photos every second (with audio). Thus, you can pluck any one of those frames out and use it as a photo. It also has a setting that captures in 1028x768, 15fps. This mode is a little choppier, but the photos are good enough to print on a 4x6. Basically, the ultimate "rapid fire" mode.

Cool!

On my site below all the pics and movies near the bottom - after it says 'New Camera!' are also with an s80.

Unirdna - I've been using windows movie maker to compress mine as well - I choose the option that lets you pic best fit to whatever number of mb you choose - and choose the max it allows. I just did one that wanted to be just under nine- but was able to save at 20 with a much higher bitrate. Diff is somewhat visible. More experimentation needed. Please post any helpful hints!

Last edited:
Connor

I saw a reef shark come vertically up the wall after me, coming fairly fast, not just gliding along like normal. I was going away from him at the time and kept going. He got to the top of the wall, maybe 45 feet, pealed off and went back down.

I have seen this type of behavior displayed with the Esox Family(Muskie's)
when they feel threatened they retire deeper. When an easy meal makes itself avalible it will rush vertically with explosive speed and often breaching like a missle on the bait.

If I recollect correctly dont GW.s also use this tactic ?? :D

jim

The very fast, vertical rush is different from what I was seeing, and much more aggresive. I've had bull sharks do that to me. Would just as soon not repeat the experiance.

These sharks were in what I call the "intential cruise" mode. One step up from just cruising and one, maybe two steps down from really excited, "he wants to take a bite".

Connor

land shark said:
when they feel threatened they retire deeper. jim

I don't know about the muskies, but it sure doesn't work for me and relationships...:blackeye

And on the Whites breaching, while it seems to be all the rage in SA, that specific behavior seems to be an anomoly owing most probably to the depth, viz and the prey. While I've seen a few whites, up close, real close, as in reach out and say "Howdy" close, the prey here doesn't seem to require the sudden "out of nowhwere- going airborne " routine. That's not to say that they don't here, as the researchers at the Farallons have documented breeches, but whites, like myself, seem to be fine with coming by, giving it a look and then maybe a nibble to gauge it's quality. :p

Quite awhile ago we had a scubie here get 28 stitches in his thigh from a muskie.

Great white's up close.........

Oh come on Fondue, don't tell me stories like that just before I get to Michigan: 10 days and counting. I'm getting excited to pick out a new gun for my graduation present and start target practice on the local invasives in that clear water you keep shooting in. How's that for excessive prepositional phrases.:naughty

Icarus,

Tell a little more about these close-up shark encounters. Have you posted about this in other threads? I'm always interested in hearing about this. The first time I went ab diving was the day Randy Fry got killed at Westport. It put things in perspective real quick and made me think about how these GW's are all around that coast all of the time.

Regarding the shark behavior in Little Cayman:

My friend has spent alot of time around black tips and, if I described the behavior you saw correctly, has seen this often in the 'teenaged' blacktip.

Second Video - Sealife

Took a while on this one. I was trying out some new software :crutch . This video is the "Sealife" cut. The final, "scenery", video will be done in a week or two. As before, I have encoded low-res and high-res versions. I would have LOVED to offer you guys the DVD cut, but my server just can't take the 300mb file, not to mention the bandwidth. The photos on that rip are c-r-y-s-t-a-l. Can't wait to watch it on the bigscreen.

Right click, "save target/link as". Download to your puter and watch.

High Resolution (640x480, 30fps, 69.6mb)

Attachments

• small turtle.jpg
    small turtle.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Great stuff, Ted. The music really adds to it.

Loved seeing the hogfish on a bigger screen. The way you cropped the mutton snapper pic makes it look like I was even closer than I was. Really Fun!

Thanks

Connor

Yes, another beautiful video! Many thanks! I've added it to my video link collection, hope you do not mind.

BTW, just a small note - if you want to avoid unnecessarily high load on your server, I'd highly recommend editing the links in your previous posts and replacing the secure URL (beginning with https://...) to standard ones (http://...). Using the secure SSL encryption for transferring videos makes no sense, and only considerably increases the load of the server. The file is being encrypted each time anyone is going to view it. The encryption is a very CPU- and memory- intensive process, especially at such huge files. It means not only high load on the server, but also slower loading on the client, and higher data transfer volume (at plain-text or uncompressed files, encryption usually decreases the data volume, but at pre-compressed files such as video, jpg's, and many other media formats, the final data volume is higher).

I modified the links on my Video Collection page so that anyone who accesses them through the link page will do it in the standard faster and less resource intensive way.

Reactions: Adrian
Hey Conner and Ted... I think it would have been tough to keep that monster hogfish off the menu! another Good video guys. I'm thinkin' I need a summer trip now somewhere closer to the equator (but I guess minnesota is going to have to do, but at least I can do that tomorrow, vis should be in the 10' range or so, aren't you jeolous?)
later, Fred

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT