• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Live! 24 hour freediving record attempt!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Congratulations Sandi! World class job! WOW!

How many KG did he loose, how many calories were burned?

I don't know what he put in his foot pockets to protect his toes, but I like to use a plastic bag to prevent blisters and have a snug fit :)

Did he experience any Co2 narcosis? - Like one has during a 16x50m race.

I guess he will now sleep 24 hours ;)

Again Great record!

Kars

Absolutely unbelieveable, well done Sandi!

I want to know how long both Sandi, Jorg and all the team slept for afterwards :D

Unfortunately, being at the competition at that time, I could not watch live, but my sincere congratulations to Sandi anyway! It is absolutely superhuman. Are you sure he did not have 12 clones there who relayed with him? :D The result is more than half of the last relay record which was done by 16 divers, and they did 108km. It is incredible that a single diver can manage over 50km alone! In relay, they had the possibility to sleep, eat, go to the toilets, etc, but I wonder how Sandi handled those basic needs.

Incredible, unbelievable, fabulous. Congratulations, Sandi!!

I'm just back home from Slovenia. It was an amazing experience to watch this.

Sandi didn't sleep, he ate only carbohydrate gels, 1 packet each hour, and didn't go to the toilet, because he didn't eat anything solid since 4 days before.

Me and Sanne slept only for 1,5 hour, but that was very easy if you think about what Sandi was doing. Everybody was very inspired.

I've got a lot of stuff to publish about this, but after driving 1200 kilometers today, I think I take a night's sleep first.

Again, amazing experience! I think many people are underestimating what he did. There were experienced freedivers trying to keep up with him and they only managed 6 laps!

24 hours... 50 second swim, 25 sec rest.....

Hi everybody!

First of all thanks for the support. I wouln't have done it without. Also thanks to Jorg to doing such a great job and supporting me. I also had a great team around me that did a great job.

Today I'm having a bit trouble sleeping. Good that I could sleep yesterday and regenerated a bit.

It really was an amazing experience. After finishing it I actualy didn't quite get it. I was just really happy I could stop swimming.

I'll try to answer any questions you may have at Shark Freediving. I will also write a report from my point of view but have first to take care of some personal things.

Thanks again!

Well done mate!

In celebration Pen and I cracked open the bottle of Pumpkin Seed Oil you gave us in 2007. Not quite champagne (tastes fantastic though) but we toasted you anyway.

Cheers,
Ben

Jorg,
I think you are right. Many of us had no concept of what was happening, and very much underestimated the difficulties. I had never conceived of such an endurance event before, and it took a while to realize just how amazing it was.

A truly GREAT performance.

Personally, I could not keep up even the 6 laps with SanSan. I really do not understand how it is possible to keep such tempo for more than couple of laps. And for me it is completely impossible to imagine that any human being can do it for 24 hours. I think even a dolphin, whale, or a seal would die of exhaustion after such a performance. That's why I wrote it was superhuman performance.

I would think that Sandi earns a place on the frontpage on Deeperblue in the news section... don't you think? ;)

I agree frontpage quality World Record!

*maybe include a small youtube video too.
*I'm looking for pictures of his feet during and after the race.

Was the 1'30" the rest time, or was it the time form start to start? (don't think so when swimming 50s he would have had a rest of 40s to surface, turn drink, breath, start.)

2'20" is still an impressive schedule for such a distance!

Kars

Kars,

Hold on... because his schedule for the first 12 hours was 1:15!!! including rest! So he starts, takes around 50 seconds for the 50 meter lap, and has 25 seconds left for standing up, turning, drinking, breathing, starting......

Pictures are being uploaded as we speak. I'll give a link later.

What is his record in 16x50? - the discipline practised in France and Germany.

Hi Cars

Haven't done any max 16x50. My training was always over 2 hours.

Hi Sandi, maybe in November you feel like trying for Michael Asp's 16x50 record at the the freediving competition in Berlin? Michael Asp did a very impressive 11'15" !

Kars

ps. I'm interested what schedule you can manage for 16 lanes :)
Funny to notice 16x50 is the only discipline where hyperventilation really is needed :)

Last edited:
I can't conceive of how amazing this is - the best way is to say that I don't believe this is possible!

Awesome.

Truely unbelievable; it ranks beyond the standard AIDA records in many ways. 1:15 start schedule is an amazing effort!

The limit of my repeat training is 10x50m relay sprints with a fellow diver in a 25m pool. Turnaround would have been a bit quicker than 1:15, but I only had to do 10! I can still barely believe that achievement!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT