• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Live from Egypt 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Monkey Matt

Jul 18, 2005
The first athletes have begun to arrive in Egypt in preparation for the AIDA World Team Championship which starts next Saturday. Team members from Brazil, Canada, Great Britain, USA, Austria and the Czech republic are starting their pre event training.
see the rest of you soon in the warm blue Red sea!

Team Switzerland will fly in on thursday, 30th of november. See you under the Egyptian sun!
Pat

Sweden team (male and female) in Dahab looking good.
Southafrica females looking equally good. Also in Dahab.

cebaztian said:

sounds like a keen eye there

fred

It's looking good here on the Red Sea. My second day of CW training and a new PB, Team Australia are looking solid at the moment. Also saw 2 statics over 7 minutes today, there's definitely some surprises on the way!

Water temp is a lovely 24 degrees, vis about 25m or so, air temp in the mid 20's. I think it's game on.....

Cheers,
Ben
Australia Team Captain, Coach, Physio and Medic and Competitor

cebaztian said:

Whose on the SA Team?

Who's on the South African team? It's Hanli Prinsloo and Helen Garner and Sophia Stander.

Water temp is a lovely 24 degrees, vis about 25m or so, air temp in the mid 20's??? Ahhhh that's just mad!!! Gotta get there...

In the Czech team report from yesterday, they write, the sea water temp is 26°, but the hotel swimming pool where they train static apnea is 17°C. The visibility is nice (35m), but not in the actual locality of the competition in Makadi Bay, which is 30km from the hotel. It was just 5m there. The guys were not quite positive about the locality - not only bad visibility, but also rough sea, strong currents, many boats, and complicated sea bed terrain, making it difficult to find a spot for really deep diving.

The guys were not quite positive about the locality - not only bad visibility, but also rough sea, strong currents, many boats, and complicated sea bed terrain, making it difficult to find a spot for really deep diving.
no way... vis is more like 30/40 m in Makadi Bay, no current and it was flat smooth today.....

the Brits found a 160m hole...... guess training is going well!!! : )

I've been diving every day (except yesterday) since Sunday and it hasn't dipped under 20m vis, more like 25-30m and water temp 24deg every day on my 2 gauges. Beautiful sunny weather.... maybe they got their bays mixed up?

Good vibe around the traps - I get the feeling everyone's having a blast (those that are here anyway). I heard the Danes will be here soon but they're driving from Luxor. I remember that they drove from Denmark to Nice for the comp in May, man those guys must love driving!

Training still going well - had the day off from constant yesterday and did some static which went well. Back in the ocean today and another pb. The conditions here certainly suit better than the quarry back in England!

Cheers,
Ben

BennyB said:
I've been diving every day (except yesterday) since Sunday and it hasn't dipped under 20m vis, more like 25-30m and water temp 24deg every day on my 2 gauges. Beautiful sunny weather.... maybe they got their bays mixed up?
Hmm, the description on their website does not let any room for doubts, but if you are there, you best ask them yourself why they claim viz 5m in the bay when you see 30m :)

Hi to all of you down there in Egypt, and thanx for the updates on what happening.

Does anyone have any pictures from the preparations or the divesite ?
Would be nice to see how things are at the moment.

Looking forward to more updates

By the way Cebastian, I wish the sweeds good luck and hope all is well with your team.

As I already wrote earlier, there are plenty of photos, daily updated, on the website of AIDA Czech Republic - just click the links in the first article (called Repre deníček 2006) at the top of the page - plenty of photos and not only of the Czech team. The Czechs have also several UW cameramen there, and will help with the official footage of the competition, so they are quite active already now and producing a lot of material.

Last edited:
I just spoke to my friend Will (Winram) who's been in Egypt since friday 24th and apparently everything is GREAT down there. Sea temp at 25 and outside temp in the mid 20s. Visibility is 25-30m and they are having a blast. Today he just did his prerequisite for his CNF world record attempt (thats happening right after the end of the WC) making a clean and easy 78m dive...rofl (yes that is without fins)

GO WILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

team Greece is going to Hurghada on Friday and everything is looking GOOOODDDD

Chees Stav

ps. wish I was there :(

Wow, nice photo's!

What happend to the all-black suits ??? I see so manny nice slick looking extreemly cool wedsuits! Awsome, this will surely make the sport look much nicer! I'm sure we black suit users will look so outdated after this WC! I expect Elios will need to expand their staff with al the orders for the latest freediving fashion!

People have fun, and make it look good!

Perhabs some people can upload some video's on Googlevideo or youtube?

Thanks!

Kars

HEAPS of teams have arrived today. The atmosphere is really cool. It was great before, when there were only a few divers but now it has a real Olympic Village feel to it.

My first Gold medal goes to the Danes who got one of those aquapedal sit down bike things to pedal out and use as a dive platform. The Brits and I joked about it a few days ago but to see the Danes go ahead and do it was pretty cool rofl

Cheers,
Ben

Reactions: sanso
The Danes, what can i say: They paint their Hotdogs bright red for gods sake!

I hard some females from non european countries did good on training one did 57 meter and the other did 60 meters on trianing for the competition.

I just say the competition will be hard for the females also!

It will be interresting to see what the results will be on competition day.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT