• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Lousy bottom time

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dlspearo

Aug 16, 2010
Hi guys
Please give me some advice how to improve my bottom time. For an old spearo , 15 years, I maybe inhabited bad technique or habits so I,ve done static training for the last 3 weeks without skipping a table. I,ve done the co2 table thing for 2 weeks, 2½min hold reducing the rest from 1½ to 30s. I am busy with the O2 tables for the last week and are currently on the 3½min hold rest 2min mark. Before I started the training I could hold my breath in front of the TV for 4 min. Diving in the kelp in 3-8m my bottom time seldom reach 45sec. Yesterday I went diving with zero improvement. What an I missing here, please guys, ANY advice will do.

Reactions: BigWhity
FYI I have created a link to this thread from the freediving training area too, as they tend to be the training experts/wonks.

I find diving a lot helps. At the start of the season my bottom times are usually short but they increase naturally throughout the season and are often surprisingly good & effortless by the end of the season. I don't really want to overcome my body's natural defences, I just want them to adapt as best they can to my activities - and regular diving allows them to do that.

Sounds like the training hasn't really helped much so far. 45 sec. is about what I would expect any fit person to achieve without any training on their 3rd attempt. You need to build up gradually during a dive. Don't push it. Get your "systems" (e.g. float line, dive prep, breathing, weights, bottom positioning) sorted so they are comfortable & can be executed smoothly and then relax, really relax.

Long ago I did 2 or 3 series of yoga classes. If I could find a convenient one I would go again. It really helps with relaxation. At the end of the day, it is mainly about how you breath & releasing tension from your various muscles - which you will often be unaware of unless you consciously check.

FYI I have created a link to this thread from the freediving training area too, as they tend to be the training experts/wonks.

I find diving a lot helps. At the start of the season my bottom times are usually short but they increase naturally throughout the season and are often surprisingly good & effortless by the end of the season. I don't really want to overcome my body's natural defences, I just want them to adapt as best they can to my activities - and regular diving allows them to do that.

Sounds like the training hasn't really helped much so far. 45 sec. is about what I would expect any fit person to achieve without any training on their 3rd attempt. You need to build up gradually during a dive. Don't push it. Get your "systems" (e.g. float line, dive prep, breathing, weights, bottom positioning) sorted so they are comfortable & can be executed smoothly and then relax, really relax.

Long ago I did 2 or 3 series of yoga classes. If I could find a convenient one I would go again. It really helps with relaxation. At the end of the day, it is mainly about how you breath & releasing tension from your various muscles - which you will often be unaware of unless you consciously check.

Thanks Mr X for the info. Since posting this thread I did a little more research and watched a few vids. The lousy bottom time WAS my first dive for the season, so maybe I am a bit too optimistic for fast results. Of what I have picked up from the various links and vids, the correct breath up is quite important. Now I think I've discovered the main problem with my breathhold technique. I am a bit overweight and to keep the weight belt from sliding down over my hips I tend to pull it very tight which means I cannot inhale properly into the stomach, all the breathing is directly into the chest. The other thing is I always had a problem diving with minimum weights. I weigh 92kg and my weight belt is 10.5kg. Neutral buoyancy happens only after 10m. Any ideas to correct this?

Yes, I think you might have hit the nail on the head there. If you are spearing in relatively shallow water - as you mentioned in your first post - and want to stay on the bottom then you need more lead (don't over do it, you still need to be able to float at the surface!), otherwise you will spend a lot of energy trying to stay down - perhaps hanging onto things?

I think 93kg is about 202lb (2.2lb in a kg) ~=14.46 stone. About 1/10th of your weight in lead is a reasonable rule of thumb and you are exceeding that significantly already (10.5kg vs. 9.3kg = 1.2kg/2.64lb) - actually it sounds about right but perhaps a little more, maybe 1 or 2lb might make the difference? There are several variables: saltwater vs. freshwater; the thickness/buoyancy of your wetsuit, socks & gloves and your own buoyancy (e.g. fat is buoyant, muscle isn't, not sure about bone, probably not buoyant).

For comparison, I weighed 224lb this morning. In theory, I currently carry 22lb of lead but I weighed my belt & weight vest this weekend and was surprised to see them register at 25lb -- although I was using a rather knackered looking, old, plastic fish/luggage scale, in which I have very little confidence :D. Since then I have removed about ~850g /1.9lb - but I will need to experiment as I lost quite a lot of weight last year and I am using some new equipment this year. When it is right, diving down should be fairly effortless, as should ascending. Things suddenly get easier when it is right. Having one or two quick release weights might help, allowing quick adjustment when experimenting or when conditions/equipment change; for example, Omersub offer a couple of options:
bardi_quickrelease.jpg

I bought a 500g clip-weight this year for my float-line but I will also use it to help fine tune the weight I carry.

Last edited:
Reactions: TAYGA and dlspearo
Static tables on the couch are a complete waste of time for spearos, for beginners, add an element of mild exertion like walking or stationary bike while doing tables.

Lots of training threads on here.

Reactions: Mr. X
... The crew I dive with already makes fun of me by using 2 guys to load my weight belt on the boat, if I tell them that I maybe needs a bit more weight they probably gonna charge me extra for boat fees:)
Try bushwacking out of Chapman's Cove directly up the steep field with a 25lb weight belt, a couple of good size fish, fins, mask, speargun, etc. wearing a 5mm wetsuit on a warm Summers day ..."character building" (without fish it is physically easier but mentally harder).

You might consider using a weight vest. They typically carry (upto) 4kg/~9lb. It makes handling & carrying dive weights a little easier: one of your crew could carry your belt and another your vest then! :) Must be nice to have a crew. Weight vests/gillets are available in camo. and they work well in the water too.

Last edited:
Try bushwacking out of Chapman's Cove directly up the steep field with a 25lb weight belt, a couple of good size fish, fins, mask, speargun, etc. wearing a 5mm wetsuit on a warm Summers day ..."character building" (without fish it is physically easier but mentally harder).

You might consider using a weight vest. They typically carry (upto) 4kg/~9lb. It makes handling & carrying dive weights a little easier: one of your crew could carry your belt and another your vest then! :) Must be nice to have a crew. Weight vests/gillets are available in camo. and they work well in the water too.

LOL Pleaaase tell me where is Chapman's Cove... so that I can mark it is as one of the" Top Ten places not to dive"

bardi_quickrelease.jpg

I bought a 500g clip-weight this year for my float-line but I will also use it to help fine tune the weight I carry.

Interesting. Are you using the weight to keep the float line from wrapping around your legs!

Zoff, lock past your Human expectations and understand the predicament of a terrestrial being entering our ancestral environment. We still retain the Mammalian dive response so don't be to disheartened (keep your lungs dry). Bottom time is not a measure of a dive and the biggest factor in your concern is your ability to enjoy and relax. But always dive easy and leave a reserve of effort for your ability to respond to the unexpected be it your buddy getting caught up or the fish you were after reefing you.

Reactions: Pinniped72
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT