• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Magnum hybrid or mahi gun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Actually, Do you think that a Jbl could improve with thinner shaft and fewer bands?

It's just an old pre-JBL Voit Custom with a beef'd trigger and the muzzle reamed out for a 3/8" shaft with the tang cut down to fit into the trigger housing; and the bands are very short 5/8" with metal XL wishbones from JBL. It's for use in the holes up here for ling cod, cabezone and halibut out in the low viz sand/gravel.

Last edited:
I have a 50" cf hybrid, 55" semi enclosed cf hybrid, and a 63" super magnum. They are all great guns. I lost my 60" ono like Bills in Katrina and Ive also owned a 57" MG special Daryl builds. I really prefer the hybrids but I'll break down my personal thoughts on them.

The Ono is hands down a better "true" bluewater gun. If I were going to swim over a pinnacle all day that would be my gun. However the hybrid is easier to handle in and out of the water. If I were going to Costa Rica and would be riding around all day on a transom waiting for the captain to yell "go, go, go! Tuna at 50'!" then you would be hard pressed to bead the super mag.

Even though I replaced my Ono with the super mag, I will probably get another Ono as well eventually. As good as the hybrids are, the Ono is dakine for bluewater.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT