• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Making your own lead weights.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
dave said:
I find shot belts really suck for freediving:) . They are OK (and very comfy) for sneaking about in the shallows, but if you do any diving they tend to slide all over the place. They are also bulkier than the same amount of solid weight

You are quite right Dave, but after 35 years of spearfishing I have chosen to use a shot belt! I have owned many weight belts over the years & confess shot belts do tend to slide around, especially when you are actually diving. However a bit of resourcefulness can solve the problem. Anyhow as it happens I do sneak around in the shallows most of the time, works for me though :)
b lucky

stone_shot said:
Huan--
Have you thought of coating those weights with Plastidip? I know it comes in black and it would probably do a great job of knocking the shine off those (though once they've oxidized a bit that probably wouldn't matter as they would have a matte surface anyway) and sealing the lead so it's slightly more diver-friendly. Just a thought.
Yeah I did think about it, for about 5 minutes, Plastidip is fairly thin though and weights being heavy they need a good coating to be successful.
I am not really worried about shiny weights, they go grey real quick.
and I use a Baudrier anyway so it doesn't affect me too much.
I sold all the weights anyway so it doesn't matter.
:)

Shot belts sliding around?
is the problem the shot or the nylon casing itself or only the fact you attached it to your self witha nylon webbing belt , even solid weights move around on a webbing belt as you get deeper and your body compresses.
did anyone try the shot belt with a rubber belt ? I just use 2 6lb and 2 3lb slid weights with my 5mm suit. don't have problems with this on a rubber belt except when bloody crays release my belt when I try to secure them to float rope, when diving without a bag I put a couple of half hitches of rope around crays on the float rope its a bit awkward to do but hold the crays on OK.
Peter

I just got an email from a guy who I contacted a while back that makes moulds for dive weights & sometimes sells them on ebay. After some prompting (by several people apparently), he has finally finished making a D-weight mould that looks darn near perfect (for my belt anyway). He sent an image (each mould makes 2 weights) -- looks pretty cool. I am awaiting his permission to post full details.

Last edited:
Mould details posted on D-weight Mould thread: [ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showpost.php?p=600454&postcount=29"]DeeperBlue Forums - View Single Post - D-Weight Mould[/ame]

Anyone looking for moulds? E-Mail me at logicdesign@rogers.com I have 2,3,4 and 5 pound open moulds; 3,4,5,6 and 10 pound two piece moulds; 2 pound two piece bullet moulds and a two piece, two cavity 20 oz. mould that produces a weight somewhat like a 'D' weight. I call it an ALLTON weight.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT