• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Manual of freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1928649270/pricegrabbercom/102-6356196-8952941"]Amazon.com: Manual of Freediving: Underwater on a Single Breath (9781928649274): Umberto Pelizzari, Stefano Tovaglieri: Books[/ame]

I've been speaking to the publishers and can tell you that they are now shipping the manuals to the various distribution outlets as I type this. Hopefully people should be able to buy the manual from the various outlets soon!

Hi Stephan,

Does this include the DeeperBlue store?

Cheers,
Ben

Ben,

Unfortunately - at this time we will not be stocking the book in any of our online stores. We will be offering a number of different books and offers at a later date though.

Re: Got It!

Jon said:
I got the book yesterday and can say that it is everything promised- and then some! This is, simply, the best freediving book I have seen so far. It covers everything in much more detail than any other freediving book I own.
Yep, I got mine yesterday too. It's a funny sensation to read it in English, because I bought the original Italian version when I was over there a year and a half ago. Much easier to sail through this then laboriously pick my way through with my close-to-nonexistent Italian and world.altavista.com!

Hi,
just wanted to let you know that it's now available via amazon.de as well. Just placed my order :) !

Veronika

We have added sections on the monofin, the Apnea Academy, stretching and updated tables etc. Removed the chapter on electrostimulation. Some cool quotes here and there as well.

Will said:
Removed the chapter on electrostimulation.
Oh and that was my favorite!

Just kidding -- overall it looks to me as though the new edition in English is a definite improvement.

Will said:
Removed the chapter on electrostimulation. Some cool quotes here and there as well.
Can you elaborate on electrostimulation, first time I hear about that regarding to freediving.
Assuming it wasn't in the book as a recreational bonus. ;)

Electrostimulation was seen to have little or no application to freediving, and was thus scrapped (not to mention practical difficulties with setting it up).

So I'm guessing it's still not possible to buy this book off the shelf in England or even online without getting messed around by websites like amazon???

Let me know if you hear otherwise.... cheers big ears

I ordered mine from amazon.co.uk on friday (~£20). it has been sent and is due to arrive tomorrow. i've already flicked through my friend's copy and it looks very very good indeed.

Just to let people know that as of tomorrow DB will be offering Umberto's Manual for sale at 21 GBP or 30 Euro.

Check back tomorrow for details on how to order.

I have a copy, only read a bit of the 360 or so pages so. My opinion - its good although seems a little dated. The only mention on packing or "Carpa" claims that only a minority of freedivers use this, and that it offers only a little increase in air. Also says you should do statics at around %75 of a full breath, and dynamics at %80 or you float up too much. (can anyone say neckweight ? :p)
It also is a little extreme saying you should never use ANY hyperventilating at all, (technically even one deep breath would be hyperventilating).
The apnea academy could still be teaching this way so it may not be dated, just a little different to what a lot of other freedivers are doing, specially say in international competitions. Like I said I have only read a bit of it so far, seems pretty good, also has some cool yoga stretches and exercises in there.

Anyways it's a 100 times better then the Terry Maas freedive book, and about 1000 times better then the NAUI freedive manual. Those are the only other 2 non-spearfishing books I've seen on freediving so it wins by a long shot.

Cheers,
Wal

Christmas morning and my copy is in my hot little hands. My wife sends thanks to Jon for the website to order it. A fantastic present; already getting family complaints that "You are just gone, dad." For me, it is a gold mine, having already shed some light on several questions I was wondering about. Very good pictorial descriptions of things like finning technique. It is going to provide months of pool experimentation and practice, honing my skills and trying different things before diving season starts next summer. I agree with Wal that there is some here that seems a little dated or simplistic, but there is so much good stuff that it doesn't matter.

kudos to Pelizzari

Connor

i like it a lot, but i do think that it would be a little more interesting with a nice picture section.............
but maybe thats just me

Hi All,

I was fortunate enough to be able to do an Apnea Academy course with Umberto last year and just thought I'd throw in my view on the "simplistic" and "outdated" comments in earlier posts ...
Umberto's whole approach/philosophy is about maximum relaxation and feeling "good sensations" while diving - packing, hyperventilating etc do not fit comfortably into this model.
He and several other of the Italian instructors certainly dived very, very deep with this approach! And what's more, it really struck me how easy they made it look: minimal fuss!
Watching other sports like surfing, motorcylce racing, running etc I have always been fascinated by how those that have truly mastered their sport/art, make it look so easy (easy as in relaxed, flowing, almost effortless). By contrast, watching some of the other major international divers it sometimes appears as if the breathe-up is a more exhausting performance than the actual dive itself ;-)
My feeling was that the philosophy thaught in his courses (and reflected in the book) is a carefully thought-through and deliberate choice - he is very well aware of other approches! So perhaps "different" should be the keyword, not "simplistic" or "outdated" ...
I think it is great that there are different approaches and styles (as in most other sports) and we can choose/experiment with what suits each of us best individually. If there are parts of the book that perhaps come across as a little too prescriptive, I'd put that down to language/translation issues - as for diving "the Umberto way", I think the book certainly is a comprehensive and detailed guide/resource!

best regards & compliments of the season,
welwichia

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT