• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Manual of freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I would agree with Welwichia's comments regarding Umberto's approach to apnea. I have certainly learnt this the hard way.
However before you put prescriptive language down to the translation I would advise reading the Italian version and comparing notes. I think you will find that it is equally prescriptive, and I have attempted to preserve this, as vaguities and double-meanings contribute to misunderstandings and thence 'incidents'.
As for a picture section these are very appealing but quickly date the book. If you want good plates then look in 'Profondamente' (as yet only available in Italian and French).

Anyone who's still looking for a source for Umberto Pelizarri's Manual of Freediving might consider [ame=http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/1928649270/qid=1104368646/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/701-0175582-4645173]Amazon.ca[/ame] in Canada. Their price is CDN$33.81 (which works out to approx. US$27.94 -> or 30% off the usual retail price of US$39.50 or a little under £15...). Shipping costs vary from: free for Canucks ordering over CDN$39, to CDN$9.95 for international. This can be offset by a coupon for new customers (APSHAWNEWQ4 - $10 OFF $50 (Expires January 15, 2005, new customers only) or this other one for anyone and with no $ limit (APFASTFRESH - $5 OFF (No Minimum, Expires January 31, 2005).

:cool:

Of course this info comes with the proviso that Amazon.ca is subject to the same stocking issues as mentioned earlier in the thread, so though it may be an inexpensive way to get the book, it may not be the quickest...

Last edited:
Reactions: flyboy748
Hmmmm. After several days of intense reading and a little pool experimentation, I'm going to eat some words. Sometimes very deep stuff looks simple to the ignorant. Parts of this book are extremely deep and I'll be a very long time getting anywhere near the bottom. Suggesting that a book (that takes a long time to write and print) is not "up to the minute" is no criticism in a sport that is advancing and changing as fast as free diving. However, it was a poor choice of words.

One point of difficulty for me. My copy is an english translation (a good one, I think) but something is always lost in any translation (you wouldn't believe how different english translations of the bible are from the original aramaic or greek.). Sometimes, I am having to read a passage several times and am still not sure exactly what was meant. Given the complexity of what the book is trying to convey, this is not a criticism, just reality. It might be that the difficulty extends to the original italian. Either way, the book is definately worth a little extra effort.

Will, did you do the translation?? My thanks.

Connor

Reactions: Will
Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know that DeeperBlue.net is now offering Umberto Pelizzari's "Manual Of FreeDiving" in English to people in the UK and Europe. You can order for 20 GBP (UK) or 30 EURO (Europe) from http://www.deeperblue.net/books

All you Canadians out there... I just ordered "Manual of Freediving" from Amazon.ca as per bookhead's advice (have some karma.. er reputation man!) and it arrived within 2 days! All this wihout shipping across the border, at a cheap price. In fact none of the headaches that are normally associated with buying freedive gear at all!

Great book btw. Loved the History of Freediving section. I'll probably have more to say when I'm done reading it, but that may be a few days yet!

Cheers all,
Aaron

Nice Aaron:
I d like to hear the stories when you are finished!

Cheers,

Roberto

Roberto,
I'll post more when finished, but I can't find any fishing stories yet ;)

Hope all is well in Ottawa!
Saludos,
Aaron

I got mine from the DeeperBlue shop, fast delivery, thanks DB Team !

Fabrice

On a slightly different note, I've seen the one and only edition of Pipin's freediving magazine Freediver Pro for sale on EBay.

flyboy748 said:
All you Canadians out there... I just ordered "Manual of Freediving" from Amazon.ca as per bookhead's advice (have some karma.. er reputation man!) and it arrived within 2 days! All this wihout shipping across the border, at a cheap price. In fact none of the headaches that are normally associated with buying freedive gear at all!

Great book btw. Loved the History of Freediving section. I'll probably have more to say when I'm done reading it, but that may be a few days yet!

Cheers all,
Aaron
Thanx for the accolades, which are always welcome... ;)

My copy also came surprisingly quickly, however I must report that I feel bad about posting this link after I saw that soon afterwards Stephan had begun selling the book in the Books section of this website:

Stephan Whelan said:
Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know that DeeperBlue.net is now offering Umberto Pelizzari's "Manual Of FreeDiving" in English to people in the UK and Europe. You can order for 20 GBP (UK) or 30 EURO (Europe) from http://www.deeperblue.net/books

Knowing that it costs real money to operate a website such as this, and realizing how much enjoyment and unique information I get from both the website and these forums, I can only encourage those who are still looking for a copy of the manual to order it here...

:)

Last edited:
Walrus said:
I have a copy, only read a bit of the 360 or so pages so. My opinion - its good although seems a little dated. The only mention on packing or "Carpa" claims that only a minority of freedivers use this, and that it offers only a little increase in air. Also says you should do statics at around %75 of a full breath, and dynamics at %80 or you float up too much. (can anyone say neckweight ? :p)
It also is a little extreme saying you should never use ANY hyperventilating at all, (technically even one deep breath would be hyperventilating).
The apnea academy could still be teaching this way so it may not be dated, just a little different to what a lot of other freedivers are doing, specially say in international competitions. Like I said I have only read a bit of it so far, seems pretty good, also has some cool yoga stretches and exercises in there.

Anyways it's a 100 times better then the Terry Maas freedive book, and about 1000 times better then the NAUI freedive manual. Those are the only other 2 non-spearfishing books I've seen on freediving so it wins by a long shot.

Cheers,
Wal

Does this very book give precise training procedures ? with a progression ?

Yes - procedures for constructing:
- training tables
- daily training schedule
- yearly training program

bookhead said:
Thanx for the accolades, which are always welcome... ;)

My copy also came surprisingly quickly, however I must report that I feel bad about posting this link after I saw that soon afterwards Stephan had begun selling the book in the Books section of this website.

Knowing that it costs real money to operate a website such as this, and realizing how much enjoyment and unique information I get from both the website and these forums, I can only encourage those who are still looking for a copy of the manual to order it here...

:)

Thanks for the support! Every order does help keep this site alive and growing! We hope to be able to offer more as time goes by!

Now that this book has been out there for a while, what do you guys have to say about it? Was it a book you would recommend? Strong sides? Weak sides? Did you learn anything from it? Was the english version too poorly translated or did the points come through clearly?

Would really appreciate you guys write what you thought of it!

Thanks!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT