• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mares is back!!!!!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

spaghetti

Campari Survivor
May 31, 2005
It's more than just rumors that after years and years of airguns only, the glorioius Mares brand is back on the market of band spearguns.
The new catalogue features a series of very particular guns. According with rumors, the new Mares bandguns have a "monocoque" construction (like the C4 guns) made whole in one single solid piece (no junctions between handle, barrell and muzzle). The handle is adjustable to user's hand size. The muzzle holds circular rubbers with a band elevator for being in line with the shaft. The material is a carbon reinforced polymer.
Has anyone seen this catalogue yet? Zak O'Hara? Anyone?

Reactions: Mr. X
no, but i'd love to see it:waterwork:waterwork
is it online? i presume not??!!??

Ah...one more thing: if you surf the whole website, you'll notice that all the products of the former Sporasub Instinct line (fins, spearguns, wetsuits, masks) have been redesigned and rebranded with the Mares logo.
It's the end of Sporasub! Bye bye good ole Spora, we've been loving you....

thank you mate for the news. I wish to see more detailed pictures of the guns. I hope they perform as good as they look.

Reactions: spaghetti
crap website, cool looking guns, send the 90Cm over to Chile for cold water testing please ;)

Nice! I'd like to try the Star Liquidskin mask.

Do it! It's italian, therefor it won't hurt :)

Strangelove: yes Sporasub, Mares and Dacor all belong to american conglomerate Head/Amf but the factories of both Mares and Sporasub are in Italy, at Rapallo, near Genoa. It seems like the group is dumping the Sporasub brand and bet on the Mares brand also for freediving (in the last years, mares was concerned on Scuba, except for a few products: airguns moslty)

Last edited:
Nice! I'd like to try the Star Liquidskin mask.
fondi: I have heard that the liquid skins are too soft and leak/compress like a bruised pear. Check out the feedback on the scubstore / diveinn websites for those products. I have the mares MARES X-VISION, BLACK BLACK, and is incredibly comfortable, if a little large in volume, but have been to -30m in it with no troubs.

Reactions: spaghetti
I like the monocoque concept of the new Mares gun, but I really wish they didn't use a variation of the instinct handle. :head

I do not see to many Mares spearfishing products in the stores i been to here in miami, fl. Most of the mares equipment they carry are for scuba. I have to admit almost every store i been to seem to care a cyrano. As far as the new guns, I don't care if they are carbon or not they look ugly to me. I guess is because of their handle with that loading pad, man that bothered me last time i went to a store and tried to load it. I guess I am used to my RA just sitting in the middle of my chest. Do you know if the new mares interchangeable foot pockets will be like the old sporasubs? Not to be a hater but some of their mask's look like the omersub masks.

I tried an xvision liquidskin at one of our local scuba shops and was not impressed. It was no softer than the omer masks. I am geeked about the new Cressi Occhio plus and am secretly hoping Spaghetti will send me an advance autographed copy. (actually, I will need two since the autographed one will be much too precious to actually use)

Last edited:
Do it! It's italian, therefor it won't hurt :)

Strangelove: yes Sporasub, Mares and Dacor all belong to american conglomerate Head/Amf but the factories of both Mares and Sporasub are in Italy, at Rapallo, near Genoa. It seems like the group is dumping the Sporasub brand and bet on the Mares brand also for freediving (in the last years, mares was concerned on Scuba, except for a few products: airguns moslty)

AMF??? are they not a Italian concern?? and did they not own Harley Davidson in the 70s??.

Attachments

• aermacchi_harley.gif
    aermacchi_harley.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 674
love to see all the new freedive gear comin.. :) is the occhio plus mask available anywhere yet? would like a new toy..

Hello all,

Yes Mares is back into spearfishing. I am very excited about our new product line. Last year we hired a new dedicated product manager to help build the line. I have had my hands on almost production quality new spearguns. They are very unique, cool looking, and should be very accurate! The new fins are great as well. No the foot pockets are not going to be exactly like the old Sporas.

I'll try to keep you posted as we begin the process of launching the line. Should be sometime in the spring of 08 here in the U.S. Probably sooner in Europe and other countries.

Dive Safe,

Can you tell us what will be different about the new mares footpockets? aside from the sporasub symbol being changed back into the mares brand.?

Hello Mr Zohara,

Can we have detailed information about new speargun series? and may be more detailed pictures?

regards.

I wish I could give you more info. I was in Italy back in September and as I mentioned the products were still at prototype stage. I haven't seen the finished product and most likely wont until 1st quarter of next year. So I don't want to say something that may have been changed or modified.

I personally haven't seen any other guns in the market that would compare to these (of course I haven't seen everything). All the way from the shape, material, construction, etc... The trigger mechanism is incredibly smooth. These are really innovative and well thought out guns IMO. I'm certainly no authority, but I've been spearfishing for quite some time, and I am honestly excited to get in the water and use these new guns, well the whole line really.

The footpockets will be more anotomically shaped than the old sporasubs. They are also made from a different material. We should see higher performance and more power transfer into the blade as a result of the material and design. More to come, like I said I haven't physically seen the finished product.

I saw someone earlier post they don't care for the liquid skin, but I think it is one of the greatest innovations in silicone since???? It is so soft, fits so many, and is awesome for extended sessions in the water. The silicone adjacent to the frame is thicker than normal silicone, therefore it doesn't compress, the liquid skin is bi molded to the thicker silicone. As a result you have this extremely soft silicone on your face resulting in a great seal, and super comfort. I agree there are other soft silicones (Omer) as an example, but wear the mask for 3 hrs and you will see the difference. :) In addition the Star mask is super low volume but has an excellent field of vision. This is due to the angle of the lens in relation to the mask / face, as well as a great lens shape.

This probably sounds a bit like a sales pitch, but I honestly do like our products and I am genuinely excited about our new line. I hope you like it as well.

Sincerely,

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT