• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Mares is back!!!!!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
This one has no name, just USN-49-DEP7-CODE-, and a line of numbers. i gues its the manufacture number and the name has worn off, it had interchangeble heads via a split pin, i remember my grandfather had a box full of diferent heads but i could only use the double and a chisel shaped one. oh and ps. no i couldnt load it myself, the thing was as long as i was tall then, LOL. oh and it had a screw adjustable handle a bit like the hammer drills have, the clips there but the handle isnt.

Peter.

Last edited:
Oh yes what a find Mr.X :friday What a week this is turning out to be :)

Oh yes what a find Mr.X :friday What a week this is turning out to be :)
Oh my word yes! I was warned to watch out for drunken Welshmen yesterday! Congratulations. I fyny 'r Gochs.

Last edited:
This one has no name, just USN-49-DEP7-CODE-, and a line of numbers. i gues its the manufacture number and the name has worn off, it had interchangeble heads via a split pin, i remember my grandfather had a box full of diferent heads but i could only use the double and a chisel shaped one. oh and ps. no i couldnt load it myself, the thing was as long as i was tall then, LOL. oh and it had a screw adjustable handle a bit like the hammer drills have, the clips there but the handle isnt.

Peter.

This is the puppy i've got....

[ame=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CRESSI-SUB-SPEARGUN_W0QQitemZ180224524458QQihZ008QQcategoryZ19303QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]CRESSI-SUB SPEARGUN on eBay, also, Other SCUBA, SCUBA Snorkelling, Sporting Goods (end time 23-Mar-08 14:45:53 GMT)[/ame]

So has anyone yet had a chance to try out some of these new guns, particularly the phantom? robiz72 was suppose to report, but it's been a few weeks...
I am looking into getting a 90cm gun mostly for fresh water, hunting mainly bass, pike and other freshwater dwellers. The ones I am considering right now are the mares phantom, seatec gabianno, omer hf2 or possibly hf. I know there has been a lot of discussion on all the other guns mentioned, so it'd be nice to hear if someone has had any experience with the phantom, or if anyone wants to advise me against any of the guns that I am considering, for which ever reasons maybe unnecessary tech for the length of gun, etc...

I found a review of the phantom but it's in Slovenian, and none of the online translators make it possible to even get a slightest clue of what it says. Maybe there are some slovenian guys here on the forum who could help out..?

Hi all,

Well we are off to a meeting next week and we will be discussing the new Mares spearfishing / freediving line. I posted a couple of polls at Spearguns & Accessories - DeeperBlue.net Forums re: some new products and would like your feedback on whether we should offer these items for distribution in the U.S. I'd really like to get your feedback on whether you think these items are valuable to us here in N. America.

Thanks for your time,

Zak

Last edited:
I'd respond if I could get to the site, but am being blocked. Anyone else having the same problem?

Once again ALL!! The thing about Mares is it is carried by many scuba shops already. Even in areas like mine, where freediving is barely known. Presumeably it will be much easier for shops already stocky mares scuba gear to bring in a little freediving kit and see how it sells.

Once again ALL!! The thing about Mares is it is carried by many scuba shops already. Even in areas like mine, where freediving is barely known. Presumeably it will be much easier for shops already stocky mares scuba gear to bring in a little freediving kit and see how it sells.

Hi Fondue,

You are correct about this. There is one caveat though, many dive stores are reluctant to sell freediving / spearfishing equipment for various reasons. I've heard many, we don't believe in hunting, we are not knowledgable about freediving / spearfishing, there is not a large enough freediving contingency to warrant the expense of inventory etc....

I have been fortunate to convince quite a few stores to make the investment into the equipment and also the sport / recreation. It takes a fair amount of education, but also and more importantly dedicating the energy and resources into promoting spearfishing and freediving. For those that do allocate the time and energy quickly find that this sport becomes another revenue stream for their business. In fact they will actually get some freedivers to become scuba divers and vice versa. The two go hand in hand and is a win win for all.

I don't know if you have a relationship with your LDS, or if your lds stocks this type of equipment. If not, a great way to get them involved is to befriend the store. If you are willing, maybe you can become a spokes person and provide some leadership in this specific category. Perhaps you can offer to lead some outings, teach some freediving classes, teach hunting classes. Education is a great way to get more people involved and by default people will end up purchasing some of this equipment. Maybe you can make an arrangement where you are sponsored equipment (in some capacity) for your services? What better way to spend the day spearfishing and later enjoying a fish BBQ, possibly some libations with people of like minded interests?

This is such a great sport and I wish more people would embrace it. I strongly feel by becoming a good freediver, makes for a better scuba diver. I also feel there is no better ecological or enviornmentally friendly way to put food on the table, than to selectively harvest your own. Not to go into the big eco discussion.

Anyhow thanks for your interest in our products! I wish you all well, and safe diving.

Best regards,

Zak

Reactions: spaghetti
Hey Zak,

Spearing is ridiculously restricted in Michigan. There is still a bit of an anti attitude among scubies and, basically, no legislative separation of freediving from scuba. S vs F arguments aside - it is much easier to make a case FOR freedive spearing that for scuba spearing. A guy holding his breath for 2 and half minutes at 35 feet in 50 degree water waiting for a trout to get close is much easier for anglers to see as challenging than scuba - regardless of the realities. Regardless of all that current law makes underwater hunting a non-viable sales angle here.

That said I have been generating interest in freediving in this area. I have a local dive shop sponsoring a freedive workshop this spring with none other than our very own Laminar :) We're also shooting a segment of Michigan Out Of Doors around the same time. (hey - I'm trying to talk the guy who does the show into diving with us - he has no gear!! hint hint :))

The gear sales angle is more difficult but will arise as a function of demand. (I bought the only freedive fins they ever stocked - nicely discounted and with two years of dust on them!!) Freediving will take off here as people become aware of the incredible clarity and richness of our waters. It'll probably always be a niche market - but it'll get bigger!

Found a picture of the other guns which were used for comparison in the testing of the phantom:

Test%20pusk%2007.preview.JPG

Amazingly this gun is sold for less than 100e. The first thing to do though is change the flopper to open to the bottom. I still can't understand why Mares are notorious about leaving the flopper open up.

Has anyone tried these guns yet?
The fibreglass one is the only one I can see for sale. Someone buy one quick and tell us what it's like!

If you have a dive shop locally, a lot of them carry Mares products. You could always have them call their rep.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT