• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Modified CO2 Table question.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

xbuster

Sep 7, 2013
I'm doing a modified CO2 table:
8 cycles of - hold until 1st contraction then hold 30 sec and rest 30 sec.

According to my instructor I should reduce the rest time after a while (30->25->20 etc..)

I'm wondering if it's better to increase the contraction hold time (from 30 -> 40 -> 50 etc...). This will train me to deal better with contractions and try to relax more.

What do you think?
What is the difference?

Your table sounds cool, I have to try that one! (Sounds hard though. I'm still not really used to real breathhold training, as I don't have much time...)

As for further modifying your table: obviously, both options will be harder to do. For me (but that's just me), the table as you do it now sounds hard enough. If you are comfortable with it as you are doing it now, do try one of the modifications you are suggestion here. But only one, of course: decreasing the resting time AND increasing the length of contractions at the same time might result in great frustration when you can't make it. The point is (of course) that you should do stuff that takes real effort without it being really impossible for you.
With the little knowledge I have about CO2 tables and their (dis)advantages, the obvious to mention here is that decreasing the rest time after each hold will result in a shorter table, meaning: doing it in less time. Meaning: more time to do other stuff! Like even MORE training. :)

I'm happy that you find it interesting! (y)
Just to make sure you don't decrease rest time between hold cycles you decrease it after a few sessions and then when you fill easy again, you decrease it again.

Let me see if I understand completely: by decreasing breathing time, do you mean: decrease the breathing time with 5 seconds for EACH new cycle within 1 table? Sounds VERY intimidating and scary to me! (But then again, I'm a beginner...)

Or do you mean: keep the breathing time constant for each cycle within the table until I'm comfortable with that and only then decrease the breathing time by 5 seconds for a new table with a new (decreased) constant breathing time?

The theory of CO2 tables is to increase the CO2 in your circulation and thus increase your tolerance to that
CO2. The most efficient way to do that is with minimum of rest between breath holds. You want to have oxygen so you remain conscious but you don't want to lose any CO2. By "resting" between breath holds you lose some of the CO2 that you've worked so hard to accumulate. So don't rest - try "zero rest" CO2 tables.
Try this: relax and do a gentle breathe-up for a few minutes, then inhale and hold for 1 minute, then exhale completely, inhale another full breath and hold for 1 more minute. That's right, no "catching your breath" - just one exhale-inhale.
Do this for 8 or 10 cycles. Of course you should adjust the 1 minute period up or down to suit your abilities. The idea is to make it so the last breath hold is just barely doable. After it becomes "easy" you should then add another 5 or 10 seconds.
I currently do these for 8 cycles of 1:20 - the last cycle is brutal!

Interesting table. I'll definitely try this. The question is if you can hold it for 8 cycles may be its to easy in the beginning?

That is true. I find that the 1st one is easy, 2nd and 3rd are a bit harder, then the next couple get easier again - I suppose due to dive reflex, then the last two are very hard. Of course you can experiment with times - say start out with 2 min hold and then decrease. But the idea of this type of CO2 table is to only do one exhale-inhale between breaths - you don't want to "give up" any CO2 that you accumulate.

How long you've been doing this kind of table? How often? Do you see any substantial progress?

I first did this in a pool years ago before I even understood what a CO2 table was. I was just trying to improve my breath hold times and make myself accustomed to being without air. I would go under water and hold my breath until I was struggling - pop up and take one breath, go under again - repeat. I didn't time myself or count cycles - just did it half a dozen times in a row. Then two years ago when I was really into freediving and preparing for my FII course I read somewhere about this "one breath" CO2 table and gave it a try. I started at 1 min and found that to be not too hard - moved onto 1:10 for a few sessions then to 1:20. I practice freedive stuff on-again off-again and I'm not real aggressive about pushing my limits. For me its about enjoyment and keeping in shape. I probably could do 1:30 or more with aggressive practice... now you've got me thinking .... hmmmm maybe it's time to push myself again :)
I try to do a table at least once a week just to keep "fresh" - I did the 1:20 table yesterday. If you're really in an improvement mode, I would try twice or even 3 times a week - keeping in mind that you can easily overtrain in freediving.
The good thing about this type of table is that it can be done fast, it builds up your CO2 fast and its easy to gauge your progress.

Thank you for a quick response!
I hope you don't do the table in the water anymore at least without a buddy. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

I'm still interested in the original question. May be someone can share their thoughts about it.

No, I don't do tables in water unless I have a buddy - I do tables laying down on my bed.
Sorry, I can't really address the original question - I don't get contractions so timing my dives by contractions is meaningless.

I use to not get them ether, but now I do. Have you tried to hold your breath after completely exhale? This is how I've experienced my first contraction.

Actually, I do get a sort of mild contraction at the end of a really long breath hold but they don't really distract me. Also, I've tried negative statics, for what I do they are a bit extreme so I don't really pursue them.

The theory of CO2 tables is to increase the CO2 in your circulation and thus increase your tolerance to that
CO2. The most efficient way to do that is with minimum of rest between breath holds. You want to have oxygen so you remain conscious but you don't want to lose any CO2. By "resting" between breath holds you lose some of the CO2 that you've worked so hard to accumulate. So don't rest - try "zero rest" CO2 tables.
Try this: relax and do a gentle breathe-up for a few minutes, then inhale and hold for 1 minute, then exhale completely, inhale another full breath and hold for 1 more minute. That's right, no "catching your breath" - just one exhale-inhale.
Do this for 8 or 10 cycles. Of course you should adjust the 1 minute period up or down to suit your abilities. The idea is to make it so the last breath hold is just barely doable. After it becomes "easy" you should then add another 5 or 10 seconds.
I currently do these for 8 cycles of 1:20 - the last cycle is brutal!
Is it working?
I think most efficient way to train anything is to copy what your are training. So, in normal breath hold you have some breath up time and then holding your breath, trying to stay relax. In your table you don't have breath up, neither long breath hold....
With "zero rest" I think you need to do 30-40% of your max, right?
But for sure this table safe time :)
Any way changes in training is good, so, I will try this one :)

Yes,30%- 40% sounds about right. In my case my max is about 5' and my one-breath tables are 1:20

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT