• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Monofin Article

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Erik

Jan 21, 2001
Peter, thanks for the Monofin article, it has helped my training already....keep writing, dude!
Cheers,
Erik

Glad you liked it!
How's your back coming along for the Regionals. Have a great time and I'll see you at Nationals.

Pete

For those that don't know, I damaged my L-3 disc last weekend very badly, doing squats. I had hurt it 4 months ago, and it was slowly getting better, but I just screwed up the other day. I spent 3 days in bed, unable to even turn over, and crawling to the bathroom. I thought that I may not be able to fly to Vancouver and compete on the 23-24th, next weekend. However, I managed to get to the pool from Wednesday on, and just got back from diving in full kit with the monofin to get some experience with vertical buoyant diving, which seemed to go ok, in the 5 metre deep pool. Standing hurts, sitting is agony, but in the water I feel better, including freestyle swimming for 40 minutes a day, so I will get on that plane this Monday. My new monofin has not arrived, and I have broken the strap on the footpocket yet again today on my sprint mono, but a certain someone in Vancouver offered to lend me one of his spares if mine doesn't show by Monday. I am really eager to spend the week diving with Brent and Tom, and maybe Eric will make it out too. Luckily for me, Peter, Eric, and Tom are not competing, so I might be able to place this time, barring BO:head .
I have been doing 6 to 10 static holds per day, except for the 3 days in bed, where I just couldn't take the contractions, so I skipped them. I was hitting over 6 minutes fairly steady before, and hopefully can do that at the comp.
Worst case scenario will still be a week of diving in one of my favourite places in the world, with some of the nicest people I know, so I am looking forward to it.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Last edited:
erik,
glad you found a way to hobble to the pool. ;) what monofin did you order? and good luck at the comp.

peter,
i think you just pushed me a bit further towards getting a mono. thanks for the article! :cool:

stay warm fellas,
anderson

Elvis, I ordered a Finis Competitor, Medium Stiffness, from here: http://www.swiminfo.com/swimshop/shop_detail.asp?iPid=192&iCatId=23
After a lot of research, and some good advice from Peter, this is the one I chose.
The blade I have now is a sprint fin, and is not good for freediving, plus the footpockets SUUUUUUCK! Hopefully the new one will be better...Eric and Peter say that the Finis pockets are the ones to have. I am now officially hooked on monofinning. I must admit that it has taken lots of practice to get half-decently proficient, and I have a long way to go, but it such an undescribeably better feeling to undulate through the water, and it definitely uses less 02 to move. I put on the bi-fins the other day, and did not enjoy it one bit, although I would still use them for spearfishing. But I will give it a go with the monofin too, once in Indonesia. Now I just have to figure how to fly the damn thing around the world with me
:confused:
Get one Anderson (Elvis), you have money to burn. Plus this is the best price I could find, most sites are much more expensive.
Cheers, at -25C and a s***load of snow (good for the farmers though),
Erik Y.

snow farming?

erik,
let me know how you like your finis. i'm looking at the waterway competitor right now. about half the price. i've heard lots of good stuff on them, too.

cheers,
elvis, aka meatball :D

Erik,
Have a good time out in Vancouver and good luck in the diving.
It'll be great to be near some open water huh? I can't wait until the ice is gone from here.

Take care of that back! I had surgery on mine in '91 - percutaneous diskectomy (sp). Anyway, before I wrecked my back whenever someone told me they had hurt their back and couldn't do this or that I was always like "show me the blood" but not anymore- I FEEL YOUR PAIN now.

Now my back does super, crazy - I can lift nearly anything, play any sport I want pretty much, but when I'm expected to go walk slowly around shopping or do some vacuuming, or sweeping ... well.. somtimes my back still kills me. Seriously - pulling on a broom or vacuum does irritate my back.

Good divin' to ya!
Fred

erik, that must really suck..
i compressed my t4 t5 t6 t7 and t8 vertabreas in september and have only started physiothearapy a month ago, i hope your back heals quick(er) then mine, i have to go for an MRI soon to, damn

good luck

oh alright, me too...

Speaking form a guy with his lower 5 vert's fused, all my best wishes.

I spent 10 yrs going from PT to PT, chiro, acu-evrything, to triple Stoli shots w/Nyquil floaters- back pain is a bitch. It's been 12 years now and I'm getting due for some more work, the vert below the repair is hammered... but I've no reservations about getting cut on by the right guy. As far as I'm concerned, the guy that did my job is right up there with Mother Teresa.

After your do in the Nat's, go see somepeople, as in a few and get after 'em to treat you. Nothing is worth that grief.

sven

Originally posted by fjohnson
Erik,
Seriously - pulling on a broom or vacuum does irritate my back.

Fred

Keep that up and I think you'll be pulling on something else compadre. :blackeye

sven

Waterway

Hello,

I ordered a Waterway model 2 long distance fin (I'm planning to use it both for freediving and long-distance swimming). The mono could arrive here anytime now. :cool:

I'll drop you a line as soon as I've tested it.

Bogdan Waterway (the owner of Waterway company) recommended the model 2 fins for everyday use and the larger model 1 blade strictly for competition. In Fact, Waterway co. provides the blades for the Finis Competitor (it's their model 1), at half the price Finis sells them... (Am I allowed to write that?)

Anyways, as I know how tough mono competition is I fully agree with him on the use of a somewhat smaller blade for training and 'lighter' activities such as freediving. Is saves you a lot of pain and lactic acid... :)

C ya later alligators
(And take care with those vertebrae...)

Lynn

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT